It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Question Help! Gall Bladder/ Hiatal Hernia Question...

Can someone tell me where the pain is when you have these disorders????
I am starting to get scared! My pain moves around. Lots of burping.
I do have GERD, but I believe there is something more happening.
Thanks to all!!
Crazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
(female)

creativeconcept HB User
Re: Help! Gall Bladder/ Hiatal Hernia Question...

I had reflux for years. I went on daily PPI's in 2002. In 2005 I had what felt like a heart attack. I quickly realized it was on the right and let it pass. I went to my GP the next day and was referred to a GI doc for an endoscopy. I had the endoscopy and did a bravo ph test. The scope didn't show too much damage but the bravo test was horrible. It was recommended I go to a surgeon for a nissen fundoplication. I wasn't ready but became ready over the next few months. I had the surgery and it was discovered I had a rather sizable hiatal hernia. I don't know why it didn't show up when I had my endoscopy done but the surgeon said sometimes they don't.

The symptoms I had that led me to surgery:

Reflux and regurgitaion
Chest pain
Chronic sinusitis from the reflux
PPI's not working anymore (In the end I was taking 2 Prilosecs and 1 Nexium. I tried 2 Nexiums but they didn't seem to work as well and my insurance would only cover 30 pills a month. I was told I could not increase my doses.

Whether or not these were symptoms of the hernia or the reflux, I don't know. What I do know is that the endoscopy was the first thing I had to do to come up with a solution.

***Most important if you have anything like a Nissen done make sure you have a great surgeon. Many people do not have a good experience with this procedure and not many surgeon have loads of experience. I have had a great experience and it has changed my life for the better.

Sherri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Thanks Sheri..I have been diagnosed with GERD, but I have been told that many of my symptoms are related to the hiatal hernia...especially the fact that I seem to get worse when bend or slouch over. The fact that alot of my pain is on the right makes others say that it could be gall bladder related.
Thank you for the info!!! Glad you are doing well!
Crazy

Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
(female)

creativeconcept HB User

Yea, I can relate to the gallbladder being blamed. I had a hida scan done prior to the nissen and the ejection fraction was 20 or something. That was suppose to come out during the nissen but doc thought it looked okay. Two weeks later I ended up in the ER and had it removed. There was some birdseed like sludge but thats about it. I'm not sure if taking it out was neccesary but its gone so what can I do.

Have your doctors ever suggested surgery for your GERD or hiatal hernia?

Sherri

Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

blondie-t HB User

Hi there,

Can any of you recommend a good Gastro Dr. in the Raleigh/Cary/Durham area, that is good with hiatal hernia issues?

Or has anyone had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia?

Thanks

Last edited by blondie-t; 07-16-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 AM   #6
(female)

creativeconcept HB User

I haven't been sold on a Gastroenterologist yet. However Dr. Michael Tyner in Cary did my nissen fundoplication and hernia repair. He is a great surgeon and has done over 1000 of these procedures. He has studied with the best and also mentors others that are learning.

Sherri

Last edited by moderator2; 07-17-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Closed Thread