It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

karensbiggestfa HB User
Someone Please Help! Nausea Related to Gallbladder Surgery

My name is Lee. I'm a 21 year old female. I had my gallbladder removed just a little over two months ago (May 31st). I was experiencing stabbing pains in my upper abdomen, which started in my left side and migrated to my right side. I also had severe nausea. I was literally doubled over in pain. I went to the ER where they said they thought I had an ulcer and gave me a GI cocktail and an antacid (I can't think of the name at the moment). They advised me to follow up with my doctor the next day. I didn't make until the next day. I called my doctor's answering service late that night. He called me back and said to go in and be admitted under his service. Over the next two days I had tests that led to me finding out my gallbladder was only functioning at 18%. I had it out the very next day. The surgeon said it was very distended and clearly wasn't emptying. I was discharged an hour or two later. I ended up back in the hospital a few days later with severe dehydration and severe nausea. When I left after that stay I felt a somewhat better. However, I'm still dealing with a lot of nausea. It's not everyday, but it is every week. A few people have told me that they experienced this too and that it will take time, but it will go away. I remember my surgeon saying it takes three to four months for the body to completely adjust to not having a gallbladder. What I'm asking, I guess, is for some hope. Is anyone else dealing with nausea two months after surgery and will it go away? I need some hope to calm me down. I thank you for your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: Someone Please Help! Nausea Related to Gallbladder Surgery

My mother in law had this after surgery for several months. Make sure you aren't eating too much spicy foods - thats a trigger for her.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
(male)

miknan HB User

Do you take any meds for it? Are you following a strict low fat diet? I have read so much about this that it seems gallbladders removed for low function and not stones takes longer to recover. Hang in there, for most people it gets better.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Yes, a lot of us have this nausea post GB surgery. I had my GB surgery on June 16th and am just now going days in a row without the nausea and diarrhea. It has to do with the excess bile acid in our stomach now that it does not go into the gallbladder. There are a number of meds for this your doctor could give you, and some over the counter stuff too. I hope it doesn't last long for you. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

karensbiggestfa HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was feeling terrible (much more than usual) for about a week and I didn't get on. I am on Zofran right now, which I take every 6 hours as needed, which is now finally getting to the point where it's not everyday. I try to tolerate nausea before I resort to taking it and have been able to stretch a month's supply over two months. It helps a little. I don't eat spicy foods so that's not an issue. I do eat low fat, but I'm sure I could do better. I'm glad to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel, however. I just want to know that I'm not going to feel this way forever, because life isn't looking to happy if it's like this forever. Please continue to post.

Lee

Closed Thread