It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

Carol1831 HB User
Question Hysterectomy & Gall Bladder Surgeries

Feeling good right now, no pain, no bleeding, but I am told I need both a hysterectomy and gall bladder removal. My white blood cell count was up and my Dr. suspected that it was my gall bladder. The bladder is distended and has multiple stones. Then I passed a blood clot with excessive blood. Went for uterine biopsy. That came back good. But after a sonogram and MRI it was determined that I have 3 huge fibroids (10cm) and an enlarged uterus. Knew I had 1 fibroid but not 3. I am 58 yrs.old and only went into menopause 1 1/2 years ago. Now I am scheduled to have both surgeries together (Sept.6). Anyone out there have both done at the same time? Any advice? Both surgeons are not promising to do the surgeries laproscopically since I have 4 huge cuts on my stomach.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy & Gall Bladder Surgeries

Hi... not exactly but similar... I have dealt with endometriosis for almost 20 years now... about 11 years ago I had gall stones and I knew I had endo cysts growing AGAIN at the time...so I sched both doctors...I figured..as long as you are in there..... you know??
so I did have my gall bladder out and then the "switched the camera around" and took care of endometriosis... I didnt have a hysterectomy then though...
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy Wed b/c of the endo and I have 6 growing fibroids and still about 10 years away from menopause.....that is why I and reading on here tonight...i will be glad when it is over!
this whole site has helped so much over the years... weight loss a few years ago ...my husband dealing with and dying fromLung cancer this year and now this... oh boy....

anyway... I do wish you success... I just wanted you to know that yes I did have some thing similar... and it all worked out then...my gyno even assisted the surgeon for the gall bladder removal! He thought it was interesting!

both were done with laparoscopy...they cant ever promise it will be that way though...they always stress if they have a hard time they may have to do the full thing... I had a lot of stones in the bile duct and my surgeon said I made him work! normally it woudl have been an automatic full surgery but he knew that meant a BIG incision and at least 5 more weeks off of work...

Wed I am having LVAH...and I hope it all goes well...same thing...if it is too difficult they may have to go for the whole thing and boom...I am out of work for an extra month!! and a bid incision....YIKES!!

good luck to you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

menagerie22 HB User

haven't had hysterectomy yet but... just had an 8mm uterine fibroid diagnosed on CAT scan of abdomen. went to see obgyn he suggested having a hysterectomy and I was hesitant so.. he's going to do an ultra-sound on 9-4-07 eventually I will have to decide what to do...I'm 52 yo haven't had a period in about one year...had six pregnancies...six live births...all living and no history of female problems other than PMS..any comments from anyone with suggestions are welcome

Old 08-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi menagerie22:

If you are not having any symptoms, there is no need for surgery. Fibroid tumors are a common and benign condition and will often shrink after menopause. You may want to search the internet and read about fibroids for a better understanding of questions to ask your doctor. There are many alternatives short of surgery if they pose a problem, but since you have no symptoms, better to leave it alone. Most gyns will recommend a hysterectomy because that is what the do, surgery. A hysterectomy is a major surgery with risks and possible complications. Best to leave your body intact. Good luck to you.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

Carol1831 HB User

Hi Snoopy, Over the yrs. 3 gynocologists said wait till menopause and that will take care of the fibroids. Well menopause didn't come until I was 57 (last yr.) And after 1 1/2 yrs. into menopause I feel a funny sensation only to see I passed a clot with a stream of blood. Had endometrial biopsy and sonogram and MRI. Since 2003 my uterus has grown and so have the fibroids. My gyno suggested a D&C but I asked what will that do for the large fibroids. So he sent me to a Gyno Surgeon who said that my uterus is very large (15X11X10) and the fibroids are also large (largest 8X9X8). He said "Hysterectomy". I am scheduled for this proceedure on 9/6/07, but am scared to death. I am also having my gall bladder removed since it is distended and has multiple stones. My problem is I feel good and don't want the surgeries. But I am warned that down the line I may develop severe problems and have to be rushed to a hospital where any unexperienced Dr. could do the surgeries. I guess like you, I are postponing the inevitable.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User

that is why I now had the hysterectomy... I will be 44 next month..it could be a long time b/4 I reach menopause and I had 6 fibroids that my dr has been tracking and were growing...I wanted to have the hysterectomy while they could still do it laparoscopically.. I have also dealt with endometriosis for 18 years....it was time.....
my surgery went much better than I thought...I didnt think it would be that bad b/c I had laparascopy b/f...but I was still expecting it to be the same or more painful than the last one...but it wasnt...I was able to move around fairly quickly....I have some muscle pain in my abdomen with bloating and gas pain...but not much....my stomach is a bit swollen...not bad though...

I dont think you want it to get worse...I could understand where it might be better to plan it than to wait and it be an emergency...
you might think about a second opinion though...
obviously surgery isnt something to be taken lightly.....
but maybe now they could do it with a laparoscope and you woulc be out in 1-2 days like me and shorter recovery...if it becomes an emergency...then they will more than likely do a full abdominal..which would be 4-5 days and probably 6-8 weeks of recovery....

something to think about...

good luck though...I hope it all works out for you!

Closed Thread