It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

swilley74 HB User
Weight loss after gall bladder removal?

Has anyone had their gall bladder removed and experienced weight loss? Been trying to lose weight for 2 years now to no avale. Ultrasound tech said she had a friend that had her G.B removed and lost 75lbs. I know I have severe gall stones and have to have it removed, but was curious how often the weight loss occurs.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

Abby72 HB User
Smile Re: Weight loss after gall bladder removal?

Hi!

I had my gallbladder out a week ago today. My surgeon put me on a low-fat diet 3 weeks before my surgery. It helped me with the heartburn that I was having all the time. I lost 2 lbs. before surgery and I have lost 6 lbs. since last Tuesday. But I am still sticking with the low-fat diet. My surgeon recommended eating mini-meals throughout the day instead of 3 big meals. It has helped me a lot.

I had no nausea after surgery and I have still had no nausea. I think sticking with low-fat foods really helps with recovery. Now, some people can have the surgery and eat whatever they want and never have a problem. I just wanted to be extra careful because I was getting nauseated so easily before I had surgery.

I was given anti-nausea medicine before surgery and again before I woke up. I think it really helped me too. But slowly introducing fat back into your diet is the way to go, for me.

If you have anymore questions, ask! If you have any surgery questions, ask those too. I was here a lot before my surgery reading stuff and I was glad I was so well informed before I went in.

Take care.
Patty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

Molly93 HB User
Re: Weight loss after gall bladder removal?

Hey,

I would not think that gall bladder surgery automaticaly leads to weightloss.

Intitially right after surgery you will probably not have much of an appetiate because of the medicines ect.. but once you are fully recovered , and assuming you having no long term "dumping" issues.. it will actually be easier to eat more junk food.. because you wont have any more gall bladder attacks.

The secret is always the same.. eat less exercise more.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

Abby72 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Weight loss after gall bladder removal?

I never had a gallbladder attack, so I don't know what that is like. My gallbladder was only functioning at 13%. It was very swollen and hard. The surgeon told my husband after the surgery that he saw scarring on my gallbladder too. If I had waited, I could have had a full blown attack. With 2 young boys here at home, I didn't want to chance it.

I don't think you can lose weight from gallbladder surgery alone. I had to change the way I ate before I had my surgery, not only because of my gallbladder, but because of heartburn and nausea. I still have heartbrun, not as bad, but I am still getting it.

If you choose to eventually eat anything you want, you won't lose weight. But if you decide to change the way you eat for your health, you can lose some weight.

Gallbladder surgery doesn't cause a huge weight loss unless you are one of those people who has trouble eating afterward.

But I know my gallbladder was shot because of all the years of eating whatever I wanted. Now, after the surgery, I am still watching what I eat, and when I get the ok from the surgeon, I will start walking again.

It might not cause weight loss on it's own, but going through gallbladder surgery was a wake up call for me. Sure, if I wanted to, I could eat whatever I wanted, but why put more undo stress on my body. I want a healthy heart too!

So, after your surgery, take it easy. I have stuck to the low-fat diet so I wouldn't be nauseous all the time. I haven't had any nausea. It has helped me, it might not help everyone.

Good luck!

Take care.
Patty

Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
(female)

ContessaDeb HB User
Re: Weight loss after gall bladder removal?

From 7/21/07 to 9/1/07 I lost 17 lbs.

Most of which was pre surgery as I got so sick with nausea and loss of appetite and diarrhea for 4 weeks.

Closed Thread