It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

tonye49 HB User
Question Gall Bladder dysfunction vs. GallStones

I recently had my GB removed due to GB dysfunction. I see alot of posts and people who most commonly have their GB's removed due to gallstones. I had an US and came back negative for gallstones but my HIDA Scan returned an ejection fraction of only 6%, hence the GB dysfunction. My question is, has anyone on here had similar problems with no gallstones but dysfunctional GB? If so, did the removal improve things? I still have GERD symptoms and I am being checked for a Hiatal Hernia in 2 weeks. I hope someone can shed some light with a story of their own. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

Duchess3 HB User
Re: Gall Bladder dysfunction vs. GallStones

Hi: I had the same problem as you with the gallbladder dysfunction with a ejection rate of 19%. I just had my gallbladder removed on Tuesday and haven't completely bounced back to normal. Unfortunately, I think my acid reflux is getting worse too, especially at night. I am taking prescription strength Prilosec but last night had to take some extra Zantac because of the painful chest pain. I am at my wits end because I thought the gallbladder surgery would be the answer to all of my problems. I know it is still early and recovery takes time. Hope you are doing better. I also had an endoscopy at the same time as the surgery and the surgeon said I had a small hiatal hernia and my esophagus was very irritated/red. Have your gerd symtoms subsided after your gallbladder surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
(male)

tonye49 HB User

Hello,
Thanks for replying. It's now be 3 weeks and 4 days since my GB has been out. I met with my PCP about 2 weeks ago and he bumped my Protonix doseage up to twice daily. Unfortunaley, the GERD and GB are two totally seperate things and although my GB problems have somewhat subsided, the GERD remains. I have been improving though, albeit one day at a time and very slowly.

I have stuck hardcore to the bland diet and drink pretty much only water and also have lost about 20 lbs. That makes me feel better and now I am getting closer to my comfortable weight. Make sure to eat smaller meals about 5-6 times a day. Stick to your meds schedule very closely. I have taken some Maalox when after a meal I feel that acid creeping and have needed less and less the past two weeks. Turkey breast, american cheese, on white bread, with light mayo and a little honey mustard has been my meal of choice that hasn't given me problems. I've eaten so many this past month I should take over for Jared as Subway's spokesman. Also don't drink cold water with meals and try not to drink anything at all 30 mins. before and after you eat. Cold water is supposed to weaken your stomach acid making it harder to digest and more likely to back up. I go back to my PCP tomorrow so I will see how things are progressing. Good luck and keep me posted.
Tony

Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
(male)

miknan HB User

Hi,
You will see many more posts about gallbladder issues on the Digestive Disorder boards. I had mine out May 24th this year for low function and I wish I knew then what I know now. I have read many, many examples and it seems it is much harder to recover from low function (biliary dyskenesia) than from having gallstones. I am much, much worse than before my surgery but it turns out I have gastroparesis. Don't know if the surgery caused it or if I had a milder case that really was the problem and not my gallbladder. Either way, I would do ANYTHING to take back the surgery but of course I can't. I have read it can take a year or two to get back to "normal". In my case that doesn't sound so bad, I just want to feel better again. Thank God for Domperidone or I would be in world of hurt.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
(female)

Duchess3 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My acid reflux seems to be worse. I was on prescription Prilosec and was somewhat under control but now it is over the roof. I changed to Prevacid today and it has helped somewhat but it gives me a headache. I have heard so many different stories about the gallbladder removal where some people just literally bounce back. I haven't bounced back but it is only one week today. Tony did you have acid reflux before you had your gallbladder removed? I have been stuggling with acid reflux for over one year but like I said it is coming back with a vengeance. Miknan did you have acid reflux or gastroparesis before your gallbladder surgery? Unfortunately, I didn't get a second opinion because the surgeon said it had to come out. I too can't wait to get over this mess. Thanks again for your replies.....

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
(male)

tonye49 HB User

Duchess-
It's kind of weird how I fell into all of this. I used to eat alot of fatty foods and drink only about 1-2 times a week with smoking only during those times. Thinking back I remember throwing up a few times after mixing eating and drinking. I was a little overweight but active enough to not be anywhere close to obese. It seems as if when I would throw up it would be either really bitter yellow stuff or very orange fatty looking stuff. I don't remember really getting any major heartburn or anything but I did notice after eating fatty meals I would need to burp severely and couldn't for quite some time. I had a couple of attacks that felt like gallbladder attacks and Dr.'s pointed towards Acid Reflux and Gastritis because the GI Cocktails seemed to cool things off considerablly. I got the HIDA scan and it showed the poor EF so my PCP and surgeon felt it had to come out. To be honest I'm like you I just got the diagnosis and went with it because that's what they thought would fix it. So to answer your question I think I had mild reflux starting up before the removal and it has been somewhat under control with meds but still there from time to time.
Tony

Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
(female)

Duchess3 HB User

Hi Tony: I was wondering if you are getting better? I am starting to come around but am still having issues with the acid reflux. I still am watching my diet so I haven't had problems with diarreah as many people get this after having their gallbladders removed. I am on the double dose of Prevacid and it helps more in the day time but at night I don't know if perhaps I am making more acid (throat is burning as I write this). I would be so happy if this reflux would end but my doctor said I had a small hiatal hernia so I don't know if I will ever be acid free. Hope you are doing better.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
(male)

tonye49 HB User

Duchess-
I had a barium swallow last week and came up negative for a hiatal hernia. For the most part I am starting to feel better and move towards getting back to normal but I still have my bad times. Sometimes I can feel the acid starting to work it's way upward and that makes it difficult to breathe. When I sense this, I take some rolaids or maalox and that has seemed to work. At night I have been sleeping on my left side still elevated and as usual sticking to my strict diet. I too don't have any problems with diarreha but man I must really be producing some serious acid! I'm on protonix 40mg twice and two doses of 150mg ranitidine daily. I get hungry about every 4 - 5 hrs. and eating usually relieves it totally with no major reflux pains. I'm wondering if an ulcer is probable here and if so, would that contribute to the overproduction of stomach acid? Keep me posted.
Tony

Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
(female)

Duchess3 HB User

Thanks Tony for getting back to me. I just wonder if this acid reflux problem is going to get better. I have been on these PPI's for over one year and my problem is that I know for a fact I am losing bone mass with these drugs. This was confirmed to me by my bone density test in just one year my osteopenia got worse. Make sure you are taking a calcium supplement even though I really don't know how much we are truly absorbing it because you need stomach acid to absorb minerals i.e. calcium, b vitamins and so on. I am starting to recover from my gallbladder surgery but it is the acid reflux that has me all bent out of shape!!! Before I was sedated for my gallbladder surgery the surgeon offered to give me the Nissen fundo surgery because he knew I had such bad acid reflux and I decided to wait. I just hope I didn't make a mistake and live to regret it. When I went for my follow up appointment he said that he thinks I will probably be back for the fundo surgery. I told him if I don't get better by June I will probably get it. I know I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life. I am glad to hear you are doing better.....

Closed Thread