It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

palarin HB User
Complications from recent Gallbladder surgery.

I recently had my gallbladder removed on September 14. I thought that I was going in for a simple gallbladder surgery but things changed once my doctor got in there. She removed my gallbladder but I began losing blood so after getting things under control, a drain was placed in the middle of my chest. It was the size of a grenade but made out of rubber of course. The drain was to stay in for 2-3 weeks to prevent infection. Since the surgery took longer than normal and I was also losing blood, so they kept me in the hospital for a few days.

On September 25, my surgeon decided to remove the drain. However, I had been running a fever for the past two days. She told me that it appears that I am having a reaction from the tubing being in my chest and sent me home with a post-op visit of 4-6 weeks. Well, the very next day my temp went up to 103, so I called her to see if maybe I needed to be on some antibiotics. She told me to go back to the hospital through the ER so that they could perform a CAT-scan on me to see what is going on inside.

Sure enough, I had an abscess in the location where my gallbladder used to be. I was immediately admitted back into the hospital so that they could evaluate the best way to handle this. I had a surgical consult in the ER and was told that the less evasive way to go would be to take me to Radiology and put in an abscess drain using the CAT scan to locate the abscess. I was told that it works 85% of the time; but if it fails then I would have to go back into surgery. I was also told that I could die from this because Sepsis could set in if they don't control an abscess right away. I was prepped for surgery and on Thursday morning, I was taken to Radiology to have the abscess drain put in. I remained in the hospital through Saturday because my fever was still high and my blood work was unstable.

Currently, I have a hole in the middle of my chest from the first drain that is not closing very well and I have my abscess drain in my right side until October 11. The entire trunk of my body is in pain from this set-back. Not to mention that I have and live with Systemic RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) I noticed that the hole in my chest gets worse in the evening. It feels like a straw or tubing is stuck inside. That is the best way I can describe it. It is probably healing inside but I can tell you first hand that I am not allowed to do anything therefore I have not been overdoing it.

Has anyone ever had complications like mine with your Gallbladder? If so, what kind and how long did it take for everything to heal?

Any feedback would be appreciated……Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

Molly93 HB User
Re: Complications from recent Gallbladder surgery.

Hey,

Did not have all of your issues.. but I did get hospilized 3 different times with post gall bladder complications.. (bile leak, infection (had a absess too) and pancreatisc) I am now, thank goodness, fine.. but i did take about 8 months for me to be able to stand with out pain..

Good luck, know you are not alone with your massive complications..

molly

Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

palarin HB User
Re: Complications from recent Gallbladder surgery.

Molly93,
Thanks for your feedback. It appears that you had a rough time as well. I'm glad to hear that everything is back to normal. However, I hope that it does not take me 8 months to feel better without pain.

When my gallbladder started acting up in August, I was in the process of getting approved and then scheduled for Lap Band surgery. The same surgeon works in bariatrics as well. I asked if it would be possible to remove the gallbladder during my lap band surgery so that I would only have to go through one surgery. Unfortunately, that was not possible because it would double my chances of getting an infection.

So when I first had the gallbladder out, I would told that I would have to wait for at least 4-6 weeks before we could schedule my lap band surgery. However, after my last set-back with the abscess, my surgeon is telling me that we must wait at least 3 solid months before anything can be done. Oh well, I am just taking one day at a time for now in hope that things will get better soon.

Regards,
Marie

Closed Thread