It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
dotcomer

How to get your gallbladder to function normally?

Are there ways to get your gallbladder functioning normally witout surgery. I had a HIDA scan and it showed 21% function. Well i was wondering if there are ways to get it functioning better without getting it taken out?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: How to get your gallbladder to function normally?

It probably depends on what is causing the gallbladder problems. Is it gallstones, polyps, "sludge", inflammation, or problems with billiary ducts?

I failed the HIDA scan at 23%; the ultrasound could only detect a small polyp. My GI doc has placed me on Ursodiol, there is a similar product called actigall, which is supposed to help dissolve sludge and some types of stones. The ursodiol treatment can take up to one year, is rather expensive and the problem may reoccur. I am also taking large quantities of fish oil per the doctors instructions.

In my case this treatment has over the past six months greatly reduced the pain that I had in my ribs, back and right side of my abdomen. I am glad that my doctor is conservative about surgery.

Each case is different and the bottom line in my opinion is the amount of pain that one his having to put up with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
dotcomer

Well i have a meeting with the surgeon on Oct.23 about this issue. My GI doc referred me to one. But my issue is not pain. I have a lot of stomach rumbling ,gas, and bloating feeling throughout the day and the GI doc has checked everthing else for this i.e. colonoscopy, bacteria in the gut test , etc and he had just sent me for a HIDA scan and it returned that i had a low functioning gallbladder. It fills well and there is not blockage, it just has a lower ejection rate of 22%. He stated that sometimes gallbladder issues mimick IBS symptoms. I have a friend that is a medical resident and he said i might should just see what the surgeon has to say and then see a nutritionist and see about changing my diet to see if this can correct it in any way?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Yeah, I had the rumbling stomach thing going on for quite awhile, particularly when I would lie down to sleep at night.

Certainly can't hurt to listen to the surgeon and then explore other options.

Have you been taking OTC medications like Prilosec to calm the stomach? I was on Prilosec for 6 months, at first it helped slow the diarrhea and stomach gnawing. The reason I ask is that Prilosec is in a class of drugs called PPI's that one study indicates can cause motility problems with the gallbladder, ie, it won't contract as hard as it should.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
dotcomer

Yeah. I thought Prilosec was for heartburn? Maybe not. But i have rumbling stomach constantly, excessive gas and a bloating feeling. I wonder if any stomach ulcers or anything like a hitel hernia can cause that? Who knows, maybe the suregeon can give me some good info. I am about to do a gallbladder natural flush , just to do it . See if that helps anything. And i am gonna meet with a nurtitionist anyway to change my eating habits. Maybe it was all fall into place.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
I failed the HIDA scan at 23%; the ultrasound could only detect a small polyp. My GI doc has placed me on Ursodiol, there is a similar product called actigall, which is supposed to help dissolve sludge and some types of stones. The ursodiol treatment can take up to one year, is rather expensive and the problem may reoccur. I am also taking large quantities of fish oil per the doctors instructions.
Hi, just want to see if there is an update on Ursodiol/Omega 3 Fish Oil? I "might" have sludge as well but my Doctor says Cholecystectomy is better than Ursodiol for me. (I am 35 yrs old with no gallbladder pain! But 7% HIDA).

Last edited by AlanPi; 07-05-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
(male)

Smile Re: How to get your gallbladder to function normally?

I recently went to the gastro for the one year follow-up on the ursodiol and omega-3 regimen. I am now down to half dose of 500mg of urso, but Dr. recommends that I stay at 3000mg of omega-3 a day. Virtually all pain has disappeared, along with unusual noises from the digestive system and loose bowels. The only lingering sign is the color of stools (TMI), which have not returned to a medium brown and remain a medium tan color.

One of the benefits of the omega-3 as I understand it, is that it acts as an anti-inflammatory, which can be important because gallbladders can become inflamed and fail to function properly, regardless of whether there are stones and sludge.

My key test has always been pain, if it had become increasingly painful I would have had them to remove it. I also understand that those taking urso frequently have recurrences within five years. So far so good.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Thanks for the update. Now that's a lot of Omega-3 !! Omega-3 is supposed to be good for heart health, but even better if it can be anti-inflammatory also!

I eat lite yogurt and apple daily, they seem to help. I also take Centrum daily, and took Omega 3 sometimes. Just starting yesterday my gallbladder area is experiencing some dull pain, probably from my greasy food experiments (pizza, hot dog, gallbladder flush). I will now take some Omega 3 fish oil and see if that helps.

My main problem nowadays is interrupted sleep with thirst and urination at night. I am suspecting DI (Diabetes insipidus) since my glucose tolerance test was OK, but nevertheless it could still be gallbladder related...

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
(female)

DianneFallow HB User

I have identical symptoms to you (Guest, 10-22-2007, 08:20 AM). It's kind of eerie how similar, actually...hahaha.

Just curious as to how your follow-up re: nutritional changes has gone. I am reluctant to have my GB removed, and am worried that removing it is a lazy diagnosis that I will regret later. After all, removal of an organ is not a trivial thing.

Would appreciate any advice you might have!

Last edited by DianneFallow; 02-03-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: not specific enough to the person I was trying to quote

Closed Thread