It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User
Gall Bladder Surgery: Hospital stay or no? And a few other questions...

I am about to schedule the removal of my gall bladder. I will talk to my surgeon of course, but I am just curious:

For laproscopic surgery, did you stay in the hospital overnight? Or did you go home that day?

For open surgery, how long were you in the hospital?

I have two issues that I need to discuss with my doctor. One is that anesthesia makes me quite ill. I have vomiting and so forth. I just wonder if he would keep me overnight for this? I would want to do whatever was best, but I was hoping he would let me come home.

Second, I have had a few laproscopic procedures done a few years ago when I was battling with infertility. I wonder if this would affect whether or not he could go in laproscpically or not? Hoping not...but you never know. I just wondered if because of scar tissue or something like that.

I have a very active 3 year old so I am afraid of the time that it is going to take to recover. Also, I am scheduled to go on a cruise for my best friends wedding on December 15th, so I was hoping to recover quick, but I won't push it. I just am trying to get a feel for what I am in for.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gall Bladder Surgery: Hospital stay or no? And a few other questions...

Recovery varies for everyone. I can only tell you my experience and that of my friends who have had the same surgery. Most of us went home the same day from the lap procedure. One friend stayed overnight but that was her particular physician's normal procedure. I jogged one week after having mine out. All my personal friends, as opposed to my "friends" here on the board, recovered as I did. You won't be picking your child up for 3 weeks or more and, of course, you should stay on a fat free diet for several weeks after as well. All things considered, you should be able to go on the cruise if you have it out by the end of this month.

If you have the full cut procedure, recovery time is about 6 weeks and you won't be going on that cruise and you will be in the hospital for a couple of days at least.

You might want to consider holding off on the surgery till after the first of the year. I was diagnosed with mine in early December and waited till Feb to have it out - too many things on my calendar that couldn't be rearranged. I was just very careful about what I ate.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

marnb77 HB User

When I had my gb out last july I thought I was going to go home the same day, but they kept me overnight because my heartrate was going crazy. I am actually glad they kept me, so they could moniter me.
Some people do stay the night (I think this depends on their dr's protocal).
I think in order to get released from the hospital after the surgery, they have to make sure you can pee and a few other things.
My recovery took about a month and a half but I am so glad I had that sucker out. No pain from the surgery could ever amount to the pain I went through after having attacks.
Everyone is different, so you may be fine in 2 weeks, it just depends on the person.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User

Thanks! I feel the same way. I would rather go on the cruise and take it easy than to go on the cruise and suffer just one attack. My attacks have been absolutely so painful. (I am sure all of you understand!) I have my consult tomorrow. I am excited. Ha ha...I have been in so much misery that a surgical consult is the highlight of my week! I will update when I get home! Thanks for the info!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User

I am getting it out on Friday! I guess I have stones near the neck and valves? He said it needs to come out right away and he worked me into the schedule. What a relief.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Good deal! Keep us posted....

Closed Thread