HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   low-grade fever etc since gallbladder removal (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/558776-low-grade-fever-etc-since-gallbladder-removal.html)

ZoeGirl 12-05-2007 10:28 AM

low-grade fever etc since gallbladder removal

I did call the surgeon, per her instructions, if I get a fever. I've HAD a fever, even while in the hospital, and still have. She seemed annoyed and told me it was probably a bug and to call my family physician. I had my gallbladder out a week ago today.

I know when my husband had his appendix out they wouldn't release him until his temp was normal, so I was confused to why they released me and didn't order any antibiotics.

My regular temp is 97F and it hovered around 99.4 while in the hospital (I spent one night) and all week. It would drop to 97 while medicated in the hospital (lortab has tylenol in it), so they did see how low it is normally. As of two days ago it started going over 100F.. however today it's staying around 99. I felt awful last night, my entire right side, front and back, ached that kind of ache you get when you have a fever. I feel OK today with some pain in the gallbladder area, which I suspect is normal. I'm using a mercury thermometer so I know it's accurate.

I am posting because I was hoping others who have had the surgery might have some insight. Did you have a low-grade fever for a while? How did you feel? I feel pretty good other than that feverish ache which of course is worse at night when the dr office is closed. I can even eat without any problems - hoorah for that.

Thanks!

RetiredDirector 12-05-2007 01:53 PM

Re: low-grade fever etc since gallbladder removal

The fact you have a low grade fever after surgery could (or mostly) be the indication of an infection. If you can't get any help or satisfaction from the surgeon, I would call my PCP, pronto! The longer you wait, the more problems you could have with it.

marnb77 12-05-2007 03:51 PM

zoe-
I had a fever of 99 every nite for 2 weeks after gb surgery. My surgeon tried to tell me I caught a bug as well. The fever is from the surgery and the trauma to your body. It will go away, just takes a bit for your body to get back to normal. I think I even posted a thread a while back about having a low grade fever as well. Did you have laproscopic?
Just keep taking tylenol and if it rises above 100 then call your dr.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

ZoeGirl 12-05-2007 03:59 PM

Thanks to both replies.

That's good to know. It was laproscopic. I really do feel OK except for the feverish feeling and a pain under my right rib.

April7 12-06-2007 09:47 AM

I had a low grade fever after a big, nasty knee surgery. It lasted maybe 3 days or so and I was told beforehand to expect this. They told me to call them or go to the doctor/ER if I got above 101. Anything lower than that they said was fine. Basically that it was related to the trauma of the surgery and my body raising its body temp to fight off infections and such. Regardless, it freaked me out. If it's bothering you, I would say call your PCP and just ask to speak with one of the nurses and tell them what's going on. If nothing else, a phone call will give you some peace of mind if they say not to worry about it. And worst case scenario, perhaps some antibiotics would be ordered. It would just be worth the call I think. My guess is that you're okay given how low it is, but I wouldn't risk it just in case. If you run low to begin with, over 99 could be somewhat high for you. I run about 99 all the time so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. But for someone who runs 97 all the time, it could very well be.