It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
HIDA Scans and Gallbladder Removal....(Zoegirl, are you out there?) :)

This question is for all of you out there who had HIDA scans with low ejection fractions, but no stones, and then had their gallbladders out. Zoegirl, if you're out there, I've read your posts and know that you had a non functioning gallbladder as shown by the results of your HIDA Scan...

I was unsuccessful in getting my current doc to authorize a HIDA scan, but luckily I am going to a new doc in the beginning of January. Now I'm afraid that this doc won't take me seriously when I tell him I think it might be my gb, and I'll never get a HIDA scan. As I may have mentioned before, I had my first doc authorize a HIDA scan, but all they did was the scan, not the CCK injection. And based on the scan, he said my gb looked normal and therefore did not think my problems were gallbladder related.

I'm just wondering if those of you who had low ejection fractions and got your gallbladders removed had the classic gallbladder "attacks". I had what I think might've been attacks when this first started and I was still eating fatty foods. Since then I eat low fat and light, but I still have indigestion, a lot of upper ab fullness if I eat certain foods or foods with more than 3-400 calories (a Lean Cuisine will cause fullness, but a meal replacement bar with the same number of calories will not), as well as occasional shooting pains in my right upper quadrant and very occasional mild nausea that normally comes from being too full. Marnb suggested gastroparesis, so I'm going to try and get tested for that, but I'm taking Iberogast, which is an herbal supplement that is supposed to be as helpful with motility as say Reglan, but that hasn't helped much from what I can tell. I occasionally get an acidy feeling in my chest/throat, but it's not all the time and it's not bad. I also started taking mastic gum and licorice (together in a product called Ceasefire). I guess I am just wondering if my lack of "attack" doesn't indicate gallbladder, or if it's common for people who have low functioning gallbladders not to have attacks because there aren't any stones to get stuck in the bile duct.

I've also had periods of abdominal pain. What I don't get is that I can eat the very same things and have problems some of the times and not others. So if any of you with low ejection fractions but no stones can shed light on what your symptoms are like, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know we might all present differently, but I just want to go to my new doc secure in the knowledge that it could be my gb so that he'll at least order the test-- unlike the last guy who was of NO HELP.

Thanks.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: HIDA Scans and Gallbladder Removal....(Zoegirl, are you out there?) :)

I never understood why sometimes I could eat steak and be fine and others times I'd be curled up in a ball crying. I think my gallbladder was slowly failing and sometimes it was working and other times not. I would occasionally get massive stomach cramps when eating certain foods while other times I'd be fine. I never got right sided pain so, like I've said before, I never considered it to be my gallbladder.

After the HIDA scan with CCK I was unable to eat ANYTHING with fat. Actually I didn't eat a whole lot the week between that and surgery. I had three massive attacks that week, I think the CCK aggravated my gallbladder and made things way worse. Not saying it broke anything, just pushed it past a point.

I still bloat a little (2 weeks post op) and I'm still burping, I was hoping all that would stop and was caused by my gallbladder. I can eat fat now, although excessively fat (um fried onion rings) will give me a stomach ache, but only for about 15 mins. (I was testing out foods, those were a bad idea). Still I am able to eat regular food already. I hear some people had a hard time afterwards but it's been easy for me so far. I think because I didn't have stones and my gallbladder just wasn't working at all. I was nervous about getting it out because of some horror stories but figured I had nothing to lose since it was just sitting there!

If anything, I've found your body can react in weird ways - and different ways than others when something is wrong.

Keep eating very low fat until you can see someone who takes you seriously. My doctor didn't even suggest the scan, I did and he just said "OK". It was afterwards they told me had they not done the CCK injection they would have never seen a problem. BTW, not sure if you read this, I do have Crohn's, so some of my symptoms are hard to read or were mixed with that. Crohn's is actually what caused my gallbladder to inflame and stop working (so they tell me).

Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Also wanted to add:

One of my symptoms that is now gone - I was having small bowel movements 4-5 times a day! I felt like I had to go ALL the time, but would go small amounts many times a day. Also my stools were pale for about 2 weeks, but then went back to a normal color the last week or two before surgery. I'm back to going only 2x/week (which isn't much but how I've always been).

Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
I never understood why sometimes I could eat steak and be fine and others times I'd be curled up in a ball crying. I think my gallbladder was slowly failing and sometimes it was working and other times not. I would occasionally get massive stomach cramps when eating certain foods while other times I'd be fine. I never got right sided pain so, like I've said before, I never considered it to be my gallbladder.

After the HIDA scan with CCK I was unable to eat ANYTHING with fat. Actually I didn't eat a whole lot the week between that and surgery. I had three massive attacks that week, I think the CCK aggravated my gallbladder and made things way worse. Not saying it broke anything, just pushed it past a point.

I still bloat a little (2 weeks post op) and I'm still burping, I was hoping all that would stop and was caused by my gallbladder. I can eat fat now, although excessively fat (um fried onion rings) will give me a stomach ache, but only for about 15 mins. (I was testing out foods, those were a bad idea). Still I am able to eat regular food already. I hear some people had a hard time afterwards but it's been easy for me so far. I think because I didn't have stones and my gallbladder just wasn't working at all. I was nervous about getting it out because of some horror stories but figured I had nothing to lose since it was just sitting there!

If anything, I've found your body can react in weird ways - and different ways than others when something is wrong.

Keep eating very low fat until you can see someone who takes you seriously. My doctor didn't even suggest the scan, I did and he just said "OK". It was afterwards they told me had they not done the CCK injection they would have never seen a problem. BTW, not sure if you read this, I do have Crohn's, so some of my symptoms are hard to read or were mixed with that. Crohn's is actually what caused my gallbladder to inflame and stop working (so they tell me).
Hey ZoeGirl,

Thanks SO MUCH for responding. I'm not sure what would make my gb stop functioning (or function less than it should be), as I never had a single digestive problem before this past February. If anything, I used to brag about having an "iron stomach" The only thing I do wonder is if the small "flecks" that were floating around in my gb might've caused it to start acting up, but then the small stones passed without me noticing. Like you said, it is odd how sometimes you can eat things and be fine, and other times you eat the same things and have problems. I wonder if it's related to my menstrual cycle, but I really have no idea. All I know is that before I started having problems, I had chills and achiness for three nights in a row. On Day 4 I woke up with a lack of appetite that was so unlike me. I just laughed it off and figured I'd be better within a few days....which I was, until it came back a week later. Ever since then it's been low fat, low fat, low fat!

I'm glad that your doctor didn't hassle you when you suggested the HIDA scan. My first doc didn't either, but once the scan part came back normal, I think he was like, "I just don't think it's your gb". But like you said, we all present differently. Mine may not be my gb, but I want to know for sure. Or at least as sure as I can be. Anyway, that's interesting that the CCK injection part of the HIDA seemed to "push" your gb to the limit. Weird.

I've never had any problems with my bowels since this started. Even when I was eating only 800 calories a day for a period of about 6 week before I discovered the Protonix was making it hard for me to digest my food, I still had daily or almost daily, normal looking bowel movements. But again, everyone is different. Somebody on one of the threads here mentioned that healthy bowels float and don't sink. Mine sink. Sorry for the TMI, but I wonder if that's a myth, or if there's really something to that. I have no clue.

I will definitely keep eating the way I've been eating until I see a doc who will be more proactive. It seems like everyone on here has had no trouble getting a multitude of tests, but my last doc seemed hesitant to suggest anything.

Like you, the horror stories about gb removal that I've read have been disheartening. But everyone I know whose had their's out has been fine. They're the ones who don't post on these boards! But I'm glad there's a forum like this for people who do need support in these matters (like myself), otherwise I'd feel even more frustrated than I already am!

Thanks again.....
Good luck in your continued recovery. You're a brave soul for trying fried onions, but I'm glad that even then, the pain only lasted for 15 minutes. Seems like a true sign that your gb was the culprit since before that kind of food would've caused you to have hours of pain I'm sure!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Mizzaj, a dear friend of mine ended up having her gallbladder out because of sludge in her gallbladder. It only showed up once on an ultrasound, even though she had many, many ultrasounds. The only time it showed on the u/s was when she was in the middle of an attack. When they say "flecks" of stones do you think they're meaning a sludge-like material? Or just tiny stones?

If you're eating low fat, chances are you will have fewer, if any, attacks than if you're eating normal food. I had 4 attacks before I stopped eating fat, and since then I've had 1 and it was minor in comparison. I have the same things you have though, the chronic indigestion and the fullness and bloating after a meal. I also had what Zoe had, the pale stools. That has stopped though since I've stopped eating fatty foods. Now that I'm on a very, very low diet I have normal colored stools.

I have an appt. tomorrow actually to talk to the dr about what they're going to do with me. One doctor believes my gallbladder is failing, even though I passed the HIDA with 38% (or 50% depending on which report you read, because they had different findings. **rolleyes**). She's having me see her colleague to see if he agrees. I'm not sure which way it will go.

I really hope that your appt in January goes well. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Eat low fat and try to relax.

Have you tried antispasmodics? Librax, Bentyl, etc.? I started taking these about a month ago and I've really felt a lot better. They make me sleepy, but they're keeping everything in my gut area from contracting and spasming and it makes eating a little easier. Maybe your new doctor would give them a shot? Without it the pain is constant, whereas now the pain only comes when I eat too much (even if it's fat free), or I eat fat.

Good luck hon. Try to hang in there.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
Mizzaj, a dear friend of mine ended up having her gallbladder out because of sludge in her gallbladder. It only showed up once on an ultrasound, even though she had many, many ultrasounds. The only time it showed on the u/s was when she was in the middle of an attack. When they say "flecks" of stones do you think they're meaning a sludge-like material? Or just tiny stones?

If you're eating low fat, chances are you will have fewer, if any, attacks than if you're eating normal food. I had 4 attacks before I stopped eating fat, and since then I've had 1 and it was minor in comparison. I have the same things you have though, the chronic indigestion and the fullness and bloating after a meal. I also had what Zoe had, the pale stools. That has stopped though since I've stopped eating fatty foods. Now that I'm on a very, very low diet I have normal colored stools.

I have an appt. tomorrow actually to talk to the dr about what they're going to do with me. One doctor believes my gallbladder is failing, even though I passed the HIDA with 38% (or 50% depending on which report you read, because they had different findings. **rolleyes**). She's having me see her colleague to see if he agrees. I'm not sure which way it will go.

I really hope that your appt in January goes well. Just keep on doing what you're doing. Eat low fat and try to relax.

Have you tried antispasmodics? Librax, Bentyl, etc.? I started taking these about a month ago and I've really felt a lot better. They make me sleepy, but they're keeping everything in my gut area from contracting and spasming and it makes eating a little easier. Maybe your new doctor would give them a shot? Without it the pain is constant, whereas now the pain only comes when I eat too much (even if it's fat free), or I eat fat.

Good luck hon. Try to hang in there.
Hi April,

Thanks for your understanding, support and kind words! I'm glad to know that because I've been eating low fat, it's likely that I wouldn't have any attacks. But it's true-- when I ate fatty foods, I definitely had some very intense abdominal pain that lasted for several hours and was more characteristic of an attack. I even fainted after one of them and was taken to the ER where they thought it was my heart (it wasn't), and when I complained about my stomach, they simply gave me Protonix, which really screwed me up!

that's interesting that your friend had many ultrasounds but only one showed sludge. I have to wonder if these things are just hard to capture on an ultrasound. The doctor made it sound like I don't have sludge-- just microgallstones, which I easily could've passed without knowing it. Did your friend have a good recovery after getting her gb removed for sludge? Was that the problem? I'm so worried that if I get my gb removed, it'll turn out not to be the problem. That's why I want the HIDA scan so badly-- if my gb is not functioning, then I'll feel better about getting it out.

You are definitely borderline it seems. I think if your gb is failing, hopefully you can repeat the test in a couple of months and see if there are any changes. I've heard that the cutoff is either 35% or 40%-- if you at one point had a 38% ejection fraction, that seems like enough evidence to me to have it removed! I guess the key is to convince the docs-- but it sounds like your docs already believe that it's a gb problem.

I was prescribed and antispasmodic called "Hyoscyamine" or "Levsin". It did nothing. I will ask about the other drugs you mentioned though. I'm glad they're helping! Hang in there and keep me posted on your progress. I will keep you posted on mine as well. I swear, I hardly had a health problem to speak of until I turned 30 (now I'm 32). I never thought I'd feel so old at 32 b/c of these things....hee hee. Otherwise, I'm trying to live as normal a life as possible-- going out with friends, doing fun things, etc. That's all that keeps me afloat.

Again, thanks for your support and concern. Keep bugging your docs, and I'll keep bugging mine. Hopefully we'll both end up getting our gbs out and feel much better. ZoeGirl is doing very well in her recovery, which makes me feel better.....

Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

I have the same fear that you have, that I will have surgery and in the recovery room they'll be telling me my gb showed no sign of disease, and my symptoms will persist. I'm very afraid of that. I would feel 150% better if they redid the test later on and I failed it. For you, since you haven't had a HIDA with CCK, I can't see them doing surgery before even running a test. I'd imagine they'll do the test before they think of surgery. I'd hope at any rate.

People don't necessarily have stones all the time. When you get them, you have pain, and then they may pass. More may develop over time, and if you have had 1 attack due to stones you will likely have another. Many doctors believe if you have stones once, you might as well take the gb out because they're likely to come back. It's very possible that small stones could be your problem. My friend had sludge and some small stones. She recovered well from her surgery and those issues resolved. She does have a host of other things going on though, like diverticulitis and IBS. But her gb symptoms went away and she did well afterward.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Oh I almost forgot. If one antispasmodic doesn't work for you, it would be worth it to still try another one. I say that because I started on Bentyl. It's great and it helps me eat. My doctor was disappointed that I still had some mild pain/discomfort though, and thought we should try Librax. I was on Librax for 4 or 5 days. I felt terrible. I couldn't eat as well as I could on the Bentyl. It gave me diarrhea. It seemed like the only thing it was good at was making me sleepy. I did some research and found that Librax is half an antispasmodic and half an antianxiety med. So my assumption is that I just need a stronger antispasmodic like the Benty and I don't need that antianxiety component. So, just because one didn't work for you, doesn't mean another one won't work. Some of them are made up of entirely different components.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
(male)

miknan HB User

I use to post quite a bit here on these board but haven't for awhile now. I had occasional right sided pain and nausea for quite some time. It was never the classic gallbladder attack in that it was uncomfortable but not really bad pain, more of an annoyance. I thought the nausea was bad at times but little did I know what was going to happen to me. All tests showed no stones but I had a low EF on my Hidascan. The CCK injection gave me incredible pain and the worse nausea ever so I was supposedly a good candidate for gallbladder surgery. I went back and forth about the surgery. My symptoms weren't that bad and not all the time and I could of gone on my life that way but I wanted to be "cured", everyone kept telling me how easy the surgery was. I finally decided to do it in May. I had a very difficult recovery. Never in much pain but my nausea was 24 hours a day and very bad. I was soooo sick. I had a gastric emptying test that showed I had gastroparesis. I don't know if this was the original problem or if it was caused by my surgery. I will never know but I was NEVER that sick before the surgery. I took several very difficult months both physically and emotionally to get my life back and I think that is only because I found my lifesaving drug, Domperidone. Tried Reglan but I started to have some of the disturbing side effects. Life with GP is difficult but I am luckier than most with this disease. I can eat fairly normal (even ate some cheese pizza last night without problems) and feel okay most of the time but will go through occasional bad periods where I will only eat fish, rice, plain pasta, and potatoes, but never as bad as those first few months. If you are contemplating gallbladder surgery, I would get several opinions first. I only had my family doc and the surgeon. Wish I had at least seen a GI first. Also ask for the gastric emptying test. If I had to do it over again I most definately would not have had mine out based on how I was, but everyone is different. My pain was not that severe but how do you know? Maybe I would of got worse. Only God knows that. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7 View Post
I have the same fear that you have, that I will have surgery and in the recovery room they'll be telling me my gb showed no sign of disease, and my symptoms will persist. I'm very afraid of that. I would feel 150% better if they redid the test later on and I failed it. For you, since you haven't had a HIDA with CCK, I can't see them doing surgery before even running a test. I'd imagine they'll do the test before they think of surgery. I'd hope at any rate.

People don't necessarily have stones all the time. When you get them, you have pain, and then they may pass. More may develop over time, and if you have had 1 attack due to stones you will likely have another. Many doctors believe if you have stones once, you might as well take the gb out because they're likely to come back. It's very possible that small stones could be your problem. My friend had sludge and some small stones. She recovered well from her surgery and those issues resolved. She does have a host of other things going on though, like diverticulitis and IBS. But her gb symptoms went away and she did well afterward.
Hey April,

That's good that your friend recovered well after having her gb out for sludge. I wouldn't consider having gb surgery at this point unless the HIDA showed a low ejection fraction anyway. But it's hard to say what the significance of those stones were-- were they the cause of the attacks I think I had back in February? Or were they like the stones that a lot of other people have that don't cause anything to be wrong? Or maybe I had them for a while without problems and then they acted up. I have no idea.

Miknan-- I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible gb surgery recovery! That is awful that you got gastroparesis as a result of the surgery! I often wonder if I have a mild case of it myself from taking PPIs. I didn't have the bloating and fullness I have now until after the PPIs. Who knows? I guess we're all so different it's hard to predict. How did your docs explain the gastroparesis after getting gb surgery? It's so odd that it wasn't a factor before that....

April again-- It sucks that we have to worry about the fact that after getting gb surgery, our symptoms might not be gone. That's how I feel. I tested positive for H Pylori, did the Triple Therapy, tested negative for H Pylori, and yet nothing has changed. And my dumb doctor nixed my suggestion for a gastric emptying test as well as the HIDA. Again, his staff called me back and said that they don't order tests like that for my kind of problems. So I finally called back and said, "Well, what DOES he suggest then?" I'm sorry, but sending me on my way with a recommendation for Pepcid AC does not count in my mind as treatment if I'm still having issues. (And my reflux isn't all that bad or present all the time).

I see my new GI doc on January 4th. I'll ask him about Bentyl. If it helped you to eat, it's worth a shot. I don't need the anti anxiety component. I'm already on anti anxiety meds, and they sure don't help my stomach-- just maybe my ability to deal with it at times.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and letting me vent. It's the only thing getting me through all this! I'm actually jealous of people (like my friend's sister) who had a clear cut case of gallstones (and some very bad attacks) and had surgery that cleared up the problem and now she's doing great. I'd rather suffer more in the short term and have the problem resolve than suffer as long as I have been with uncertainty and unhelpful docs....sigh.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
(female)

mindyp HB User

I had an ejection fraction of 8% with no stones. I had my gallbladder removed in July. It was the best thing I ever did. I too, never had the classic attack. Instead, I had cramping intermittent pain in the area of the gallbladder, nausea, indigestion, belching, etc regardless of what I ate. Those problems are gone now. Good luck. Get the HIDA scan done with the CCK ejection fraction. The first part of my HIDA was normal too, but the ejection fraction was not. I have no doubt my symptoms were gallbladder related. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyp View Post
I had an ejection fraction of 8% with no stones. I had my gallbladder removed in July. It was the best thing I ever did. I too, never had the classic attack. Instead, I had cramping intermittent pain in the area of the gallbladder, nausea, indigestion, belching, etc regardless of what I ate. Those problems are gone now. Good luck. Get the HIDA scan done with the CCK ejection fraction. The first part of my HIDA was normal too, but the ejection fraction was not. I have no doubt my symptoms were gallbladder related. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your post, mindyp!! It makes me feel a lot better to know that this could still be my gb as I've long suspected. When my HIDA scan came back normal, the doctor acted like, "Well, that's it, it's not your gb!" But to know that you (and zoegirl) had normal scans but low ejection fractions gives me hope. I know it sounds silly that I'm hoping this is just my gb, but if it's not, I don't know what else it would be! I did the Triple Therapy for H Pylori and got rid of the bacteria, but my symptoms did not change or improve. I'm taking digestive enzymes and a German herbal product called Iberogast that is supposed to help with gastritis, IBS and dyspepsia, but it hasn't done anything either. I figure that if I had these things, I'd have more relief from my symptoms-- but I don't.

My symptoms sound similar to yours, except for the nausea, which I have had on occasion, but it's not a predominant symptom by any means. I have had cramping intermittent stomach pain, squeezing/aching in the pit of my stomach/breastbone area, and pain in the area where my gb is. It's not devastating, but then again, I don't eat fattening foods! I've eaten low fat, small meals since I first had very intense stomach pain when I was still eating high fat foods back in February.

Was your doctor skeptical about ordering the HIDA with CCK injection? How long was your recovery? Do you find that you can eat more fattening foods now? I'm actually fine eating less fat; it's better for my health and I did need to lose weight. But I'm tired of the discomfort, so I actually hope that this is all my gb so I can get it out and go on with my life!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
(female)

mindyp HB User

Hi there. I'd unknowingly had gallbladder problems for years. I am the classic case--female, fertile, family history, etc. My mom had stones and had her gb removed in her 20's. However, since I did not have stones, my PCP years ago attributed it to gastritis and put me on Nexium. I lived with the symptoms for 10 years. I have a new PCP now who is younger and more with it and he said, "It sounds like your gallbladder. It either has gallstones, isn't functioning properly, or both. We'll do an ultrasound first. If there are no stones, we'll do a HIDA scan to see if it's functioning properly." Thus, there was no convincing necessary on my part. My PCP seemed to know what to do. I remember being in your shoes, praying it was my gallbladder because I was tired of the intermittent pain, bloating, belching, and nausea. Fortunately, I never had the excruciating pain others talk about...

My prayers were answered. As soon as the HIDA scan's ejection fraction came back at 8%, I was referred to the surgeon. (Remember the first part of the scan is looking at the liver, gallbladder, and biliary tree essentially for obstructions. If you have no stones, this will be NORMAL, as mine was.) I had the surgery on July 27th. I am a teacher and had to be back at work on August 12th. I stayed overnight in the hospital because my surgeon required all of his gb patients to stay. He said there was a 75% readmission rate for people who had the surgery as outpatients. I was glad to stay overnight, as I had some nausea after surgery due to the anesthesia. I had four incisions---one at my navel, one in my middle, and two on my right side. All were pretty small...the largest was at the navel where they pull the gb out. The first two days I was in considerable pain, however the meds took care of it. I was back at work with no problems other than orders not to lift, push, or pull anything over 10 pounds. You hear some folks say they had chronic diarrhea afterwards. I did not. I have found that I can eat whatever I'd like. In fact I had buffalo wings and onion rings this evening. I try to stay away from garbage such as this for other reasons, but if I want to eat it, I have no problems. Before having my gallbladder out, there is no way I could eat such without being absolutely miserable.

I hope you get your answers. Insist your new doctor order the HIDA scan with CCK to measure the ejection fraction. If it is your gallbladder, the surgery isn't bad at all. Like I said, I don't miss mine at all. I feel so much better without it. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Hi Mindyp,

Wow, that's really unfortunate that you had to suffer for 10 years before a forward thinking doctor finally suggested your gallbladder! I hate that these docs assume it's either all in your head or they send you on your way with an acid suppressing drug and act like they've solved your problem! I took Protonix for 6 weeks and it messed me up. I couldn't digest my food 'cause I had so little stomach acid! When I did the H Pylori treatment, part of it was to take 2 Prilosec/day. I took one per day, and by the 4th day, that same feeling of food getting stuck in my stomach had returned. I stopped right then and there!

Yes, I am praying this is all my gb. I'm glad that you found the answers you were looking for and are now much better off for it. I have two of the three "F's" you mentioned-- female and fertile (I'm 32). I have a small immediate family (mom and sister have never had problems) and don't know much about my extended family, so I don't know if anyone has had their gb out. But if I'm the first in my family, hey, it's all good!

Everyone I've spoken to about getting their gb out had it out because of stones-- not a low ejection fraction. But they all had good recoveries and can eat what they want. Even my mom's friend who was 66 when she had her's out and is overweight with a host of other health problems told me that she was in Niece, France vacationing within 6 weeks of the surgery...ha! I wanna be like her!

There is no question that when I see my new doc in three weeks, I will ask for the HIDA with CCK injection. What I don't get is why they would do a HIDA without it (like I had done back in May when my first doc actually agreed to a HIDA before the second one said "no") if people can have normal scans because of stones but low ejection fractions. My only fear at this point is that my new doc will say no to the HIDA scan, OR that it will come back with a normal ejection fraction. 'Cause really, I'm running out of things this could be or medications to take! Diagnoses such a gastritis or dyspepsia are usually treated with acid suppressing drugs, so if they settle on that as a diagnosis, I'm screwed!

Thanks for sharing your story. Cross your fingers that I get my answer too in a couple of months.....

AJ

Closed Thread