It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

nanarich1 HB User
Gallbladder, gastroparesis, hiatal hernia

My gallbladder fraction was 15%, I have gastroparesis, and a hiatal hernia. I have a lot of pain and burning in my upper middle stomach which radiates to my back. When it is time to have a bowel movement (once a week!) my body goes into this anxiety mode? Anyone have this trouble? I am scheduled to have my gb removed but am unsure if this will help. I am also, asking to see if the surgeon can fix the hiatal hernia if it is the problem. HELP!! I am on reglan but it makes me so so so so sleepy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Gallbladder, gastroparesis, hiatal hernia

I think taking a GB out is enough at 1 time to do!! And with a ejection rate of 15% -- your GB has to be removed.

The Hiatal Hernia may be spasms or cramping cause by a lack of magnesium in your diet. Repairing a hernia is not an easy as it sounds. Your stomach is wrapped around the bottom part of your esophagas. Unless it is reall a bad acid reflux problem -- it is not nrmally done.

The slow digestive system is just that but many of us have problems with Reglan. Does it happen with all food?---- Has your Doctor tried to change your diet for relief or to speed your system Up? Some food moves faster than other food.

God Bless---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

Thanks Harry! I was hoping to get some advice! I finally go to have my gb removed on Dec 27th. I hope that will help. I'm so nervous!

Reglan is hard to cope with. No one has spoken to me about a special diet. I guess I will have to research the internet to see what I can do. I have lost an extreme amount of weight. He has me drinking MirLax every morning. I cannot say it helps a lot but what else can I do? I feel lost and miserable.

I don't know if my hital hernia is causing problems or not. I take Aciphex which is the best medicine I have ever had for reflux relief!

If I may ask, is the gb removal pretty simple and safe? I don't know if I can bare more pain and sickness.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Have you had your thyroid levels tested? Your metabolism sure sounds really slow. That could be behind your bowels lack of movement, possibly the gastroparesis also. It wouldn't hurt to know your TSH and T4.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I can only tell you about my wife's experience with GB surgery 11/16/2006.

She had a GB attack caused by a stone stuck in the the bile duct. Went to the Hospital ER and was admitted -- and had surgery at 8 to 9:15pm. She returned from recovery room at 11pm.
The next day at 3pm the Surgeon released her to come home --- I never helped her in the house or even prepared her supper. She even made a bowl of jello that night.
She ate light for about 2 weeks -- soup, jello, yogurt and soft type food. She also takes Metamucil twice daily for BMs.
My wife has had no bad pain with the surgery-- and recovery.
I am sure that does not happen with everyone.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 12-16-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

Thanks! I hope my surgery goes as well as your wife's. They said (from cat scan) I have no stones(this pain sure feels like sharp knives trying to come out through my side!). I have been going through this for months. Finally I had to tell them I want it out! The surgeon is kind of reluctant but my gastro dr says take it out and I should feel better. 15% is not good

Sue: I do not have a thyroid anymore. I had it taken out a few years ago. I take levoxyl for the hormone replacement. When I had my T levels checked, they said they were normal (i still question that!) I honestly believe it is my thyroid. I take MirLax everyday but it does little.

10 more days until surgery! Thanks for responding. It is a sure relief to talk with other people that understands. Others I have talked to is like "whatever she's faking or "she's always sick"

Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Yeah, we know how those "normal" thyroid tests are! We on the thyroid board fight that everyday with our great doctors. Possibly you could add some T3 to your regime, if you can find a doctor who works with Armour or Cytomel. For some, that seems to be the missing link in their metabolism finally kicking in gear, or actually feeling well. By the way, I had my g.b. out and had no direct problems. It's just I always get nauseous after surgery, and then throw up. It's a given! That was the only problem for me. No pain or anything. I took one 1/2 a pain pill, and then nothing after.

Last edited by sue1234; 12-17-2007 at 08:13 AM.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

I'm going to have to find out about the T3? Not sure what it is. I've always had TSH and T4. What is Armour and Cytomel? Never heard of them. I have gotten to the point of desperation! I will ask my dr about anything that could possibly make me feel better. I don't exercise but I heard that could help as well. Maybe I will also look into a treatmill.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Healthboards has a Thyroid section you could read. You might find some of the posts interesting and informative. T3 is what T4 converts to so it can get into the cell and do its thing. Armour is a prescription, natural t4/t3 combo, and cytomel is a prescription, synthetic t3 that you could take along with your levoxyl. Are you by any chance from Louisiana? I see "lou" written in your city section. I am from Louisiana and must say there are not alot of good thyroid doctors around.

Last edited by sue1234; 12-17-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
(female)

can 55 HB User

i can tell you i found out 13 years ago i had a underactive thyroid, after seven doctors did not find it, in the fifth month of elevn months before it was found i was reading anything i could in a health book not knowing what i was looking for, i found a page that was telling all the symptoms i was having was due to a thyroid.
so i told the third doctor and he goes back and said well five months ago the other doctor said you were fine on the thyroid, so i said well i thought i had found the problem, i was 42 at the time did not drink , never smoke, no drugs, did not like any kind of pills, 5 ft 7 in 125 pds lift weights, go figure.
i was a train wreck, totaly in overdrive, no sleep, did not want food had ulcers, hiatal hernia, thought i was out of my mind but i can remember ever second, everyday, month,.
i had to stop working, they gave me all kinds of pills that were not for me, also i was with a sleeping disorder doctor, i finaly had a reaction to prozac after seven days i was so sick, the doctor says you need to see a EMS, i said yes i do and i will pick him, i had great insurance, no reason for short cuts to the problem i had.
so i pick a doctor, he must have thought i was a nut job this was the eleventh month, he took blood and i did not think i had any left after all those other doctors had taken, two days later he calls me and says you have major under active thyroid, i need to get you on synthroid asap, so i was wright it was my thyroid.
i called my mom and told her and she said your dad has that, why did you not tell me, but my dad never took his meds like he should and did not make a big deal with it, but i changed his tune and made sure he had his levels done and took his pill everyday.
i kepts telling my dotor you say now after a year i am level, but i don't feel level, i have lost who i was, where is she, this went on for thirteen years as of aug 2008, i am now on ARMOUR natural thyroid and back to my old self , still away to go for at leat two more months, i always ask my doctors why when i go to the bathroome number 2 i get anxiey, this was another doctor, he said what has changed in your life, i said my thyroid, he said well there you go.
i have always had # 2 problems since i was a child, please you know how your body feels so at times you must be at odds with your doctor, or change doctors i did, i al so ran into a young women that told me her little girl was born with a thyroid probem, i did not know you could be born with it, so maybe many children have it and are being not treated.
they may be put on meds not knowing what is really wrong with them, getting in trouble, spankings, i don,t believe in spankings, so you should check this out about children i think it should be a must for babys, children, adults to have a thyroid panel done every year,also follow your famils history of health, let you know after me now being on ARMOR THYROID medication how i am doing in six more weeks,i was only married 3 months when this started in 1994 my husband was a trooper and we have been married 13 years to date, good luck god bless.

can 55

Last edited by can 55; 09-02-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelld bless wrong

Closed Thread