HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Gallbladder (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/)
-   -   Smelly farts, smaller poops, bloating/gas after gallbladder removal (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/gallbladder/593871-smelly-farts-smaller-poops-bloating-gas-after-gallbladder-removal.html)

ct gl 04-05-2008 01:50 PM

Smelly farts, smaller poops, bloating/gas after gallbladder removal

Hello,

Kippelnickel, how long did it take for these symptoms to resolve w/ your grandmother?

Misty800, I am not eating fatty foods ( I never really did).

The fattiest stuff probably comes from olive oil, which I use for cooking and salads.

What do you folks think about digestive enzymes in addition to my probiotics?

Or should I just let things be and let my body heal in its own time? I'm post op about 7 wks now.

Am I just being impatient?

I just thought I'd return to normal post-surgery. Thats what everyone said. I thought I'd be exactly the same as I was pre-surgery (daily bowel movements, no gas/smelly farts) minus a gallbladder and attacks.

The attacks and pain are definitely gone, but I, for sure, am not the same.

Is that normal?

Thanks. :)

Misty800 04-05-2008 07:02 PM

Re: Smelly farts, smaller poops, bloating/gas after gallbladder removal

Are you eating foods with fat? If so, your body may not be digesting the fat and then it is the bacteria in your intestines trying to do the digesting which creates stinky gas.

Eleminate fat from your diet and see if that helps. If so, see your doctor for help with digestion.

smittygirl22 04-05-2008 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=ct gal;3518276]Hi,

I had a lap chole done 6 1/2 weeks ago.

I have no pain, thankfully, no diarrhea, but.......

I do have the smelliest, lethal farts now since my surgery, and feel gassy and bloated, and feel full easily.

Pre-surgery, I used to make a huge poop in the morning regularly.

Now they are just small, and I don't feel I'm fully emptying out.

I started taking probiotics, which have helped a lot, but I still make lethal farts, small poops and feel bloated.

I know this is "too much information," but I really would love some feedback from the boards.

Thanks a lot! :O)[/QUOTE]

Whatever you have, I have. I just noticed it about a month ago. I have never had my gallbladder out, but am so bloated and all the other very descriptive things you are going through. I have researched for days and cannot come up with an answer. I am also taking probiotics, and am going on the assumption it might be a yeast buildup. I eat no red meat, very few starches, no wheat - in other words, I eat foods that are not particularly acid but have a lot of base. No soda's or sugar. I've done this for about 3 weeks and still feel the same way. My stool, which you didn't mention, is slightly pale in color. Hopefully, together - we can find a solution.

Smittygirl22

smittygirl22 04-05-2008 07:27 PM

I guess I didn't reply correctly - it posted just below your post. Anyway, I'll do better from now on! Just know there is a response just below your original post.

Smittygirl22

Kippelninkel 04-05-2008 08:57 PM

The anesthesia used during surgery will slow down the bowel a lot. Maybe part of the problem is that your bowels haven't regained their "get-up-and-go". It doesn't appear that you have a paralytic ileus (something that can happen after surgery), though, because you are indeed passing gass and stools. My grandmother had the same symptoms as you a while after her procedure, and, though very frustrating and uncomfortable, it did finally pass.

ct gl 04-07-2008 07:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I don't really eat fatty food, just olive oil in a lot of my food. Not big on the sweets either.

Kippel, how long did it take for these symptoms to subside in your grandmother?

The probiotics really did help. But still am feeling pretty bloated in my lower abdomen.

I think my stench is subsiding, thankfully for the rest of the world. :)

I long for the day when my stomach is a no-thought for me, like before my gallbladder attacks, and subsequent lap chole.

Maybe this is my body's slow way of returning to homeostasis.

I don't know

Harry 04-08-2008 08:08 AM

I had the same problem after abdo resection surgery but don't recall a problem after GB surgery.

I started taking Green supplements and eating more green veggies. But, I have taken digestive enzymes for years and some probiotic supplements-- like PB-8, Culturelle & Primal Defense seems to help.