It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

hannahsmom101 HB User
Thumbs up Pain/Gas/Diarrhea after gall bladder removal - WHAT HELPED ME

I feel compelled to share my experience since it seems to many have had or are having a similar experience after gall bladder surgery. Had mine removed (lap) Dec 2007 and up until 2 weeks ago, I was suffering from diarrhea every single day. More recently, adding to my problems was horrible gas/bloating and pain in my middle abdomen. I read story after story on the internet looking for help and was sad to see that most people weren't getting straight answers from their doctors and were still suffering. I did read ONE post on another message board from a woman who said she started eating a serving of yogurt with the live cultures once a day every day and it almost totally relieved her symptoms.

I HATE yogurt, but decided to try the LiveActive cheese once a day (has the same live cultures that are supposed to help regulate your digestion) along with a fiber supplement twice a day (I use the powder that you mix with your water... Benefiber is great... totally dissolves and is tasteless). I started noticing a difference after the first 5-6 days. Now 2 weeks after I started this "regimen," I have gone from having 3-5 bouts of diarrhea per day to one NORMAL stool a day and my gas and pains are 95% gone.

I know you may not have exactly this problem, but for those suffering from the diarrhea/gas/pain/blaoting after gall bladder removal, try this! It just might work for you. I've had such great results, I couldn't wait to share my experience. Again - what I use --

Benefiber powder (2 tsp mixed w/ 8 oz water) twice daily
LiveActive Cheese 1 serving (either 1 stick or 7 of the little cubes) once daily

Give it a couple of weeks and see if it helps. I've been reading about people being told to take Immodium, etc, but that's a temporary fix -- you can't stay on that stuff for a long period of time. Fiber is good for you! The cheese (in moderation) is good for you!

I must sound like I'm selling something, but if anyone out there is having the discomfort I was having, I totally feel for you and wanted to help in any way I can! Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

park914 HB User
Re: Pain/Gas/Diarrhea after gall bladder removal - WHAT HELPED ME

I agree! I also have IBS and was taking Benefibre once a day (that's all my system can handle!) so I knew it worked. when I told my surgeon that I was having diarrhea after having my gb removed, he suggested taking immodium which I knew (as you pointed out) is only a temporary fix. So I went back to my Benefibre and have a vanilla yogurt for breakfast (I put a little cereal and a few blueberries in it) and this has helped me a great deal. Of course there are a few days when I get lazy and don't do this and then I pay for it

I also eat that yogurt that is promoted as helping your digestion stay on track (Acti something). Acidophlous capsules also help. And of course, trying to avoid fatty foods (all the yummy stuff I love) while your body adjusts to not having a gallbladder.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
(female)

glamkat74 HB User

Hmm this is interesting, because I had my gb removed in Nov 2007, and I do sometimes have loose stools, and weird bloaty, gassy feelings in my abdomen. This has only been going on for a few weeks now, and I thought it was just sluggish digestion coinciding with my sluggish thyroid but maybe it's a delayed response to not having the gb anymore. It is just so weird though because my digestion was in really good shape up to now.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-05-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
(female)

hannahsmom101 HB User

I know what you mean. I had loose stools ever since I had the surgery but they were very manageable and weren't accompanied by any discomfort. As time went on -- starting around 4 months out (or something like that) I got worse and started having the bloating and discomfort with BAD diarrhea. Like the other poster, if I skip the Benefiber and my LiveActive cheese, I pay for it.

VENT ALERT: I'm a little angry about this whole thing since it seems our situation is so common. My surgeon made the GB removal sound so easy and told me I would have to make no dietary changes... could go back to eating whatever I want right after surgery. Then I wind up in the hospital 1 week after surgery with leftover stones lodged in my common bile duct. I was in the hospital for 2 days before they figured out what was wrong with me. The whole time, I was horribly nauseous and in mind bending pain that was only controlled by the most potent IV narcotic pain meds. I had to have an ERCP to remove those stones. After that whole ordeal, now I have to live with more discomfort and diarrhea?!?! I just wish surgeons would make people more aware of what they might have to live with after this surgery. That all being said -- I'd much rather live with diarrhea than those attacks I had!

Last edited by moderator4; 06-06-2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Quote unnesessary

Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahsmom101 View Post
I feel compelled to share my experience since it seems to many have had or are having a similar experience after gall bladder surgery. Had mine removed (lap) Dec 2007
Great Info! I might know why it works...

I havn't had my gallbladder removed, but I am suffering from some symptoms. I had fatigue, irritability, loose stool, abdominal cramp, burpy and gassy, etc. I asked my Dr to give me a stool test, since it was recommended by the urgent care Doc. He agreed. The test turned out with moderate YEAST INFECTION!

Through my own research, it turns out anyone can get intestinal yeast infection caused by weakened immune system, stress, antibiotics.

Yogurt cures yeast infection because its live culture naturally and harmlessly kills the fungus. Plain, unsweetened yogurt works best since yeast likes to grow with any sweet stuff. Stay on a low sugar diet.

My Dr prescribed me Diflucan - Fluconazole - the most effective antibiotics for yeast infection for 7 days. I am on day 8 now, hopefully my symptoms will now stay away!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
(male)

joe9 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have a question -- can you buy this type of cheese/yogurt in your regular local supermarket? What is the best brand for this, and what's it called, exactly? Thanks.

Last edited by joe9; 06-08-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

reelbunny HB User

park914-
Thank you so much for the yogurt and Benefiber ideas--I just had my gallbladder removed the middle of May and cannot figure out WHAT I should eat to get rid of the bloating and frequent indigestion (though it is all much better than gallbladder attacks) and I need something to help my stomach adjust. Last night I woke up with a horrible stomachache and when I drank some skim milk I noticed it helped a little so I think that yogurt will probably help a lot. My doctor didn't tell me to avoid anything after the surgery and neither did the surgeon.
I'm going to try those 2 things, thank you so much!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have a question -- can you buy this type of cheese/yogurt in your regular local supermarket? What is the best brand for this, and what's it called, exactly? Thanks.
"Plain Yogurt"... Wal-Mart, Vons, Whole Foods... etc... The awful sour tasting one is it!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
(female)

hannahsmom101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9 View Post
Yes, you can get these at most local supermarkets. I don't eat yogurt (just can't take the taste) but I heard that DanActive is the best since it has more of those "live cultures" that are supposed to help with digestion. As for the live culture cheese, I eat "LiveActive." I find it in the dairy case and it's usually hanging with the shredded cheeses. It's in a bag and you can get it in individually wrapped sticks and I've also seen little cubes. You can eat 1 small stick per day and that counts as your serving. If you buy the cubes, you eat 7 of those and that is 1 serving.

I went on vacation for 2 weeks and got out of taking the Benefiber and cheese and it's caught up with me. My discomfort came back as well as the diarrhea. I've started the cheese/benefiber regimen again and already noticing an improvement.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
(female)

hannahsmom101 HB User

Here's the LiveActive stuff. It looks like they have yogurt too... even a cereal.

(commercial website removed)

Last edited by moderator4; 06-09-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Posting commercial web sites are not allowed.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
(female)

glamkat74 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahsmom101 View Post
I know what you mean. I had loose stools ever since I had the surgery but they were very manageable and weren't accompanied by any discomfort. As time went on -- starting around 4 months out (or something like that) I got worse and started having the bloating and discomfort with BAD diarrhea. Like the other poster, if I skip the Benefiber and my LiveActive cheese, I pay for it.

VENT ALERT: I'm a little angry about this whole thing since it seems our situation is so common. My surgeon made the GB removal sound so easy and told me I would have to make no dietary changes... could go back to eating whatever I want right after surgery. Then I wind up in the hospital 1 week after surgery with leftover stones lodged in my common bile duct. I was in the hospital for 2 days before they figured out what was wrong with me. The whole time, I was horribly nauseous and in mind bending pain that was only controlled by the most potent IV narcotic pain meds. I had to have an ERCP to remove those stones. After that whole ordeal, now I have to live with more discomfort and diarrhea?!?! I just wish surgeons would make people more aware of what they might have to live with after this surgery. That all being said -- I'd much rather live with diarrhea than those attacks I had!
Yes! Why do doctors only feel the need to inform you of the side effects AFTER the surgery? They make it seem like a magic bullet, and you can eat whatever you want with no problems. I was deceived by it too because for awhile that did seem to be the case. Eating more fiber and less oily, fatty food does seem to help a bit, and watching that I don't overeat even moreso. Yes the diarrhea is not as bad as the pain just wish the doc had warned me about the possible delayed after effects of the gb removal.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
(female)

marlene33 HB User

I had gb surgery last thursday. I fell worse now. I hope it gets better.
I also still fell nausea a couple times a day and pain in back and left side under rib cage. Does anyone else fell this way.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Have you been on a no-fat diet after the surgery? Did you tell your doctor about your symptoms?

Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
(female)

mollycat3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamkat74 View Post
Yes! Why do doctors only feel the need to inform you of the side effects AFTER the surgery? They make it seem like a magic bullet, and you can eat whatever you want with no problems. I was deceived by it too because for awhile that did seem to be the case. Eating more fiber and less oily, fatty food does seem to help a bit, and watching that I don't overeat even moreso. Yes the diarrhea is not as bad as the pain just wish the doc had warned me about the possible delayed after effects of the gb removal.
Hi,,,i had my gb out two weeks ago and feel TERRIBLE,,,cant eat anything,,,gas pain and diarherra if i do,,,what kind of cheese cubes are you talking about??...i bought some sharp cheddar cheese cubes by kraft,,,plz let me know,,,jan

Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
(female)

mollycat3 HB User

did you eat anything with the cheese,,,i tried the cheese last nite and still got sick soon after eating it with some grill chicken,,,sigh

Closed Thread