It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

nikkilewis HB User
Exclamation Gall bladder problems - what can I eat (please help, I'm living off of muffins)

I think my gall bladder is the root of my troubles. Six months ago, I started wtih indigestion. Sometimes it would get so bad that it felt like someone was stabbing me in the middle of the chest. Next came the pain in the back, which I describe is the WORST muscle spasms anyone could imagine.

I've had an ultrasound - negative for stones. I've had an endoscopy. Everything is perfectly normal. Next is my Hida scan, set for this wednesday.

I'm living off of muffins. I can eat mashed potatoes, rice, and anything else "white". Last night, hubby cooked steak, baked potato, corn on the cob, salad, and garlic bread. I ate the corn and two pieces of garlic bread. Bad move. I felt like I had a knife in my esophagus (indigestion).

So, what can I bake, broil, boil, or grill that WON'T hurt me. What's safe to season with?

As a side note, I'm able to drink Starbucks Frappacinos (the ones you get at teh grocery store). They're made w/lowfat milk. No problems there. I've heard coffee is a bad thing, but this doesn't bother me (and it's the ONE thing I love and can still have w/o repercussions).

So if anyone has any recipes (or seasoning ideas), I'd love to hear them. I'm 104lbs and cannot afford to lose weight!

The Following User Says Thank You to nikkilewis For This Useful Post:
Wiffee1 (09-12-2012)
Old 06-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

Princess05247 HB User
Re: Gall bladder problems - what can I eat (please help, I'm living off of muffins)

Hi, i've been having problems with my gallbladder too. I had an ultrasound and they didn't see any stones. On Tuesday i had a Hida Scan. I got so sick to my stomach when they injected the CCK hormone. They said it looked like it wasn't emptying right. I'll know the final results this week. I weigh the same as you. I did lose alot of weight, because i can't eat the foods i used to. I've been eating lowfat and white foods.. I'm so tired of eating the same things. I would like to try meds first and see if it would help. I went to the healthfood store yesterday and they gave me a list of stuff that helps and hurts the gallbadder. One of the things was coffee. It said it helps it function better. So that's probably why you're able to drink the starbucks frap. They also said i could take some herbs for it. Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gall bladder problems - what can I eat (please help, I'm living off of muffins)

If it is your gallbladder, you need to be on a very low fat diet. So no butter, oils, fat, fried food, whole milk products like cheese, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I find that those healthy frozen dinners containing less than 6gm of fat work OK for me. I usually can eat and not be in pain. Anything with a higher fat content make me cramp, plus if you aren't feeling well a meal that microwaves in a couple minutes is a lot easier than cooking.

My GB was removed in November.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
(female)

Princess05247 HB User

I forgot to say, i get the mid back pains and sometimes under my right rib. The pain isn't extreme, it only last for a few minutes. I mainly have been getting diarrhea after eating fatty foods.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Nikki and Princess sounds like both of you are suffering through classic gallbladder symptoms of nausea, pain under the ribs and pain in the back and some indigestion and diarrhea thrown in.

The HIDA scan is the gold standard test, when the ejection fraction comes back below 35% that should be proof enough that it is your gallbladder.

As Titchou states you want to eat LOW fat, so as not to trigger the gallbladder to contract causing more pain. I also found that I needed to avoid spices and seasonings as they upset my digestive system even more.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

My Hida scan came back with a 16% EF. I just had that done on wednesday, so I haven't spoken wtih my GP yet. Looks like I'll be having surgery tho.

I'm on a lowfat diet right now, and will continue to be on one after my GB is removed. Then I'll slowly try to re-introduce some fatty foods to see how I tolerate them. How long should I wait (after surgery) to begin trying fatty (trigger) foods? One month? Two?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Everyone is different so I would say try 2 weeks and then put a amsll pat of butter on a piece of bread and see what happens. If that goes OK, then a day or two later, add a little something else. Don't go hog wild all at one time. I did give in to a Full Monty from Moe's Soutweat about 10 days after mine and was glad I got take out instead of eating in! Halfway thru it I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom. So, that kept off any fats for another couple of weeks!

Closed Thread