It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
(female)

pinkeddy HB User
Gallbladder problems - could someone help

I have posted quite a few subjects regarding my stomach issues on here and I am still convinced I have gallbladder issues. I am finding it extremely hard to convince the doctors who keep blaming it on anxiety and IBS.

I have had a clear ultrasound an endoscopy which just showed a small hiatus hernia and I have had blood tests to suggest everything is normal. They have done the breath test for heli too and everything shows as normal. They have told me that I may never find out what is wrong with me which is filling me with dread.

My main symptoms are:
Sharp stabbing pains on right shoulder and radiating through to back - usually after eating something fatty.
Rib pain on the right which I have all of the time but at times when I eat plain foods this is just a very dull ache.
Nausea after eating anything fatty/spicey or alcohol - comes one a few hours after.
Twice after eating a takeaway I had the full blown attack where I was vomiting violently and diarrea - with stomach cramps like giving birth - I thought this was food poisoning.
Each week - usually weekends when I am more likely to have a drink - (like one glass of wine) the next day I feel so groggy and sick and have a bad stomach - feels like a mild stomach bug but I am having so many.
Hyperglycemic attacks are not great either.
I paid for a private consultant who is a gallbladder surgeon and she told me that my symptoms where not gallbladder related and that it is probably related to stress. I have since been on hols and was totally relaxed but as soon as I ate the wrong thing - BINGO!

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts as this has been going on for over a year now and I feel like I am going nuts and that no doc is going to listen to me. They have told me that in the UK they no longer do HIDA scans?? Is that right? She told me that they may be able to get you to eat a Mars Bar and do an ultrasound again.

Anyway would really appreciate anyones views as I am going slightly mad!! Thanks Claire

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Re: Gallbladder problems - could someone help

Sounds like gallbladder / biliary dyskinesia. I don't understand why it is hard to get HIDA scan done at UK, but that apprently is the case.

Eat no fat, no alcohol, and see if the symptons goes away. Also get a stool test done for bacteria infections such as intestinal yeast. Eat plain yogurt daily and low surgar can help get rid of yeast.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have had a week or so when I just eat plain crackers, brown rice and plain chicken and my symptoms seem to clear up! I just have a mild dull ache in back.

I suppose that is what I am going to have to stick to before I convince the doctors of what is wrong with me. I have a fight on my hands I think. I have a consultation on the 8th July so I hope I can get somewhere. Strange about the HIDA scan. What is biliary dyskinesia?

Thanks
Claire

Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

eihcet HB User

The fact that you have noticed a trend with certain foods and symptoms has me thinking it's the GB function. Yeah, it could be other things, and they've tested for a few. The HIDA scan tests the Gallbladder by measuring how much bile it ejects. If you eat a fatty meal the day before the test (so you know you'll be sick the day of) it should then show a very low % ejection which would indicate the GB is not working well.

That said, you sound like you've narrowed down when it will act up and can control it for the most part, so, perhaps it's time to modify your diet a bit and eliminate some bad things? Even if you have the GB removed it's not going to mean you can go crazy and have all the bad things again, you still have to eat carefully so may as well get started now.

BTW, I was seeing a GI doc who was adamant that my GB was not the problem. He was very rude about the whole thing even though a I had a family history of this and because I didn't have stones it couldn't be the issue. I went to another GI doctor, had my records transferred and discussed it with him. He listened to everything I had to say and ordered the HIDA Scan. My test showed that not enough bile made it into the GB to even do the ejection part (my GB was basically nonvisual) so it's a very good sign mine is bad. My doctor is having me do a stomach emptying test to rule out gastroparesis as a problem and if that is not the issue then he's going to be convinced mine is most likely bad. So, just because a doctor says it isn't the problem doesn't mean they are right. They're human, may have read the statistics and because it's not the case 99% of the time with no-gallstones, they just assume it's not the case for 100% of the time. Maybe you and I fall into that small %, maybe not but the only way to tell is via a roundabout series tests (eliminating the other possibilities).

Last edited by eihcet; 06-23-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkeddy View Post
Claire
Gallbladder Dyskinesia, is where you have no gallstones, but gallbladder is unable to contract due to chronic infection or other causes. I have a HIDA Scan ejection fraction of 7%, no gallstones under ultrasound or CT, and do not know the cause of my gallbladder dyskinesia.

All the doctor would say is, since it pretty much doesn't work, just get rid of it. We will see what happens.

BTW, I had the same symptoms for 5 years (sleepless night, frequent thirst & urination, fatigue) until I suspect it's the gallbladder myself, and told my PCP to check my gallbladder.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPi View Post
Gallbladder Dyskinesia, is where you have no gallstones, but gallbladder is unable to contract due to chronic infection or other causes. I have a HIDA Scan ejection fraction of 7%, no gallstones under ultrasound or CT, and do not know the cause of my gallbladder dyskinesia.

All the doctor would say is, since it pretty much doesn't work, just get rid of it. We will see what happens.

BTW, I had the same symptoms for 5 years (sleepless night, frequent thirst & urination, fatigue) until I suspect it's the gallbladder myself, and told my PCP to check my gallbladder.
That must have been an awful five years as you feel so unsociable and unable to function normally, Are you scheduled to have the gallbladder out then?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eihcet View Post
The fact that you have noticed a trend with certain foods and symptoms has me thinking it's the GB function. Yeah, it could be other things, and they've tested for a few. The HIDA scan tests the Gallbladder by measuring how much bile it ejects. If you eat a fatty meal the day before the test (so you know you'll be sick the day of) it should then show a very low % ejection which would indicate the GB is not working well.

That said, you sound like you've narrowed down when it will act up and can control it for the most part, so, perhaps it's time to modify your diet a bit and eliminate some bad things? Even if you have the GB removed it's not going to mean you can go crazy and have all the bad things again, you still have to eat carefully so may as well get started now.

BTW, I was seeing a GI doc who was adamant that my GB was not the problem. He was very rude about the whole thing even though a I had a family history of this and because I didn't have stones it couldn't be the issue. I went to another GI doctor, had my records transferred and discussed it with him. He listened to everything I had to say and ordered the HIDA Scan. My test showed that not enough bile made it into the GB to even do the ejection part (my GB was basically nonvisual) so it's a very good sign mine is bad. My doctor is having me do a stomach emptying test to rule out gastroparesis as a problem and if that is not the issue then he's going to be convinced mine is most likely bad. So, just because a doctor says it isn't the problem doesn't mean they are right. They're human, may have read the statistics and because it's not the case 99% of the time with no-gallstones, they just assume it's not the case for 100% of the time. Maybe you and I fall into that small %, maybe not but the only way to tell is via a roundabout series tests (eliminating the other possibilities).

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I do agree I need to eliminate lots of foods. I think mine stems from Yoyo dieting and cutting out carbs etc. I am only 9.6 stones and 5 ft 6 and am quite a healthy eater - It is just anything fatty now that affects me.

What is wrong with these docs? What will it take to make them think outside the box? So are you going to get your GB out? How do you feel now? Are you on a special diet? It is so boring though and I worry all the time that I have eaten one wrong thing!

Claire

Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
That must have been an awful five years as you feel so unsociable and unable to function normally, Are you scheduled to have the gallbladder out then?
It used to last 2 weeks than go away, comes back several months later for 3 weeks, then on and on. The current one has been 4 months and I don't think it is going away anymore.

Even through functionally my gallbladder is not working, I doubt that is the only problem. I am currently looking to Celiac, and hoping to get some tests done for it. I called my surgeon for a schedule for the cholecystectomy last week, but they haven't called me back yet... I probably would still need to take it out regardless since the Doctors won't/can't look past that.

Doctors often too rely upon test results and what you tell them. If you have a functional problem but the organs work fine and the test results show ok, the doctors would become clueless, and then you are on your own to diagnose and eliminate possibilities yourself all too often...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

I know how you feel. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday. My ultrasound showed no stones, but I had an ejection fraction of 16%. Ultrasounds don'g show stones smaller than 3mm, so I could've had smaller stones. I won't know until I get the pathology back on my GB. Also, I've read a lot of stories where people were told they didn't have stones (b/c none showed up on ultrasound), but upon removing the GB, they found they DID have stones.

I went downhill very quickly. My GB attacks only came every now and then. Then, in May of this year, it just gave out on me. I couldn't eat ANYTHING wtih fat in it. Everytime I ate something with fat in it, I suffered horrible back pain.

I asked my surgeon about my GB yesterday, and he said it was very inflamed, and had lots of thickening of the walls, so it's a good thing I got it removed.

No one WANTS to get rid of an organ, but in my case, I had no other choice. I only weigh 104lbs, and I couldn't afford to keep losing weight. The absolute worst outcome of my surgery would be that I get no relief. I doubt that will be the case, tho.

You really should push for a HIDA scan. Don't take no for an answer. You have to be your own advocate. My doc moved pretty fast. I was sure it was my GB. My doc ordered an ultrasound, which was negative. Then I had an endoscopy, which was also negative, then finally the Hida scan, which I flunked.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Hi Nikki, I wish you a quick and well recovery from your Cholecystectomy.

Please keep us posted with updates! Most people do recover very well but we don't get to hear that often enough here.

Was your ultrasound showing your GB being inflamed and thickened? I was told the ultrasound should show that. I know many people do find stones/sludges from pathology, and that would eliminate your symptoms from other causes.

I also had a CT Scan, which didn't show any gallstones either! The 2cm sections CT Scan does really doesn't show that much...

Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
(male)

eihcet HB User

Quote:
What is wrong with these docs? What will it take to make them think outside the box? So are you going to get your GB out? How do you feel now? Are you on a special diet? It is so boring though and I worry all the time that I have eaten one wrong thing!
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply, I actually just got back from a mini-vacation and have my Stomach test tomorrow AM. Vacation went well but have to say it's hard to really relax and enjoy when you have in the back of your mind the worry that something I eat might cause me to feel like crap. That said, it went as well as it could (no issues, other than not getting to enjoy the food I used to) so I'm thankful.

So yep, I have a test for solid foods tomorrow and liquids on monday. Then probably 3-4days for the results to get to the doc and him to give me a call. From there I'll probably be talking to him about one more test--a colonoscopy since my BM's are getting less normal and I think I'd want to have that checked out too before electing for gallbladder surgery. I've also been told to ask about a CT Scan of my abdomen which is probably a good idea too. I'm almost at my insurance deductible for this year so may as well get some tests done sooner instead of having to pay again for the deductible next year!

As for food, I researched Gallbladder diet on the net and have been following that as best I can. I've verified that Eggs (cooked directly or mayonnaise or a few other ways) are almost 100% going to get me sick for a week. In some other foods they are tolerable (like a brownie or a cookie). I have cut out candy and almost all chocolate. I can tolerate a little choc. in granola bars and what not. I have cut out as much transfat and saturated fat as I can. I still eat some red meat and chicken in various forms. I'm pretty sure that Pork and Turkey seem to cause me some problems so I've been avoiding them lately. Cheese and Pizza don't seem to bother me if I eat them in moderation. Since it's hard to take in enough calories I try and eat some peanuts, or pecans, or other healthy fats when I'm otherwise eating light. When I stay true to this "gallbladder diet" I have more good days than bad.

So that leads to the surgery question, I'm not sure. Having it out won't make me 100% better, I still have to watch what I eat. Supposedly it'll stop the nausea, according to my doctor, but I've read enough reports that others still have it that I'm not convinced. Given that, I'm inclined to live with it until I start getting pains or other more serious symptoms, but I will discuss with a surgeon after getting a few more tests done. The good thing is at least now I have a doctor who can sympathize with me and listens so I'm comfortable that if it is the problem, when I'm ready he'll work with me to recommend I get it out.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #12
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkilewis View Post
I know how you feel. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday. My ultrasound showed no stones, but I had an ejection fraction of 16%. Ultrasounds don'g show stones smaller than 3mm, so I could've had smaller stones. I won't know until I get the pathology back on my GB. Also, I've read a lot of stories where people were told they didn't have stones (b/c none showed up on ultrasound), but upon removing the GB, they found they DID have stones.

I went downhill very quickly. My GB attacks only came every now and then. Then, in May of this year, it just gave out on me. I couldn't eat ANYTHING wtih fat in it. Everytime I ate something with fat in it, I suffered horrible back pain.

I asked my surgeon about my GB yesterday, and he said it was very inflamed, and had lots of thickening of the walls, so it's a good thing I got it removed.

No one WANTS to get rid of an organ, but in my case, I had no other choice. I only weigh 104lbs, and I couldn't afford to keep losing weight. The absolute worst outcome of my surgery would be that I get no relief. I doubt that will be the case, tho.

You really should push for a HIDA scan. Don't take no for an answer. You have to be your own advocate. My doc moved pretty fast. I was sure it was my GB. My doc ordered an ultrasound, which was negative. Then I had an endoscopy, which was also negative, then finally the Hida scan, which I flunked.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks Nikki for taking the time to reply to my post. It has made me feel better and more determined to fight my cause. Sounds like you went through lots of suffering. It is a pain you cannot describe in the back isn't it? I have heard that as soon as you have your gallbladder out this pain goes away - is that the case?
I wish you a speedy recovery and would be really interested to know how you are getting on as time progresses. Have they told you that you will always have to eat carefully now? I really am going to try and push for the HIDA scan but I have been told they don't perform them any longer? It is very strange, perhaps I should start a new post about HIDA scans in the UK!

Take Care
Claire

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #13
(female)

pinkeddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eihcet View Post
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply, I actually just got back from a mini-vacation and have my Stomach test tomorrow AM. Vacation went well but have to say it's hard to really relax and enjoy when you have in the back of your mind the worry that something I eat might cause me to feel like crap. That said, it went as well as it could (no issues, other than not getting to enjoy the food I used to) so I'm thankful.

So yep, I have a test for solid foods tomorrow and liquids on monday. Then probably 3-4days for the results to get to the doc and him to give me a call. From there I'll probably be talking to him about one more test--a colonoscopy since my BM's are getting less normal and I think I'd want to have that checked out too before electing for gallbladder surgery. I've also been told to ask about a CT Scan of my abdomen which is probably a good idea too. I'm almost at my insurance deductible for this year so may as well get some tests done sooner instead of having to pay again for the deductible next year!

As for food, I researched Gallbladder diet on the net and have been following that as best I can. I've verified that Eggs (cooked directly or mayonnaise or a few other ways) are almost 100% going to get me sick for a week. In some other foods they are tolerable (like a brownie or a cookie). I have cut out candy and almost all chocolate. I can tolerate a little choc. in granola bars and what not. I have cut out as much transfat and saturated fat as I can. I still eat some red meat and chicken in various forms. I'm pretty sure that Pork and Turkey seem to cause me some problems so I've been avoiding them lately. Cheese and Pizza don't seem to bother me if I eat them in moderation. Since it's hard to take in enough calories I try and eat some peanuts, or pecans, or other healthy fats when I'm otherwise eating light. When I stay true to this "gallbladder diet" I have more good days than bad.

So that leads to the surgery question, I'm not sure. Having it out won't make me 100% better, I still have to watch what I eat. Supposedly it'll stop the nausea, according to my doctor, but I've read enough reports that others still have it that I'm not convinced. Given that, I'm inclined to live with it until I start getting pains or other more serious symptoms, but I will discuss with a surgeon after getting a few more tests done. The good thing is at least now I have a doctor who can sympathize with me and listens so I'm comfortable that if it is the problem, when I'm ready he'll work with me to recommend I get it out.

Hi there,

I know what you mean about going away - it is like you watch someone eating an ice cream or a cake and you feel sorry for yourself - even if you didn't eat that thing in the first place! Well I hhope you had a nice time apart from the eating thing!

Let me know about the results from your tests that you have coming up. We have the National Health Service here as you know and you have to wait months for a consultation or a test, I used to have Private Health Care when I worked but I have a little boy now so I don't work. Trust everything to go wrong when you give up working!

I am pretty much the same with those foods. I cannot eat eggs or many dairy products or anything that has too many different things in it. I have found that low fat leerdamer is not too bad and Quorn for making a shepards pie or something. Burgers even homemade are out of the question. I find olive oil ok to use sparingly and I drink lots of herbal teas. If I have the occasionally cup of tea I use decaf and Soya fat free milk. I am ok with Melons and apples - they seem to soothe. Anything that isn't hydrogenated is best isn't it? I suppose like you say it is cutting out all the rubbish from your diet!

Have you thought about trying these flushes ever?

Thanks Claire

Old 06-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
(male)

eihcet HB User

I haven't tried the GB Flushes because I'm a little worried about making it worse. I did have an ultrasound and there weren't any big stones that might get caught somewhere so I suppose it would be OK. I haven't had a bad enough period that I wanted to risk making it worse to get better. Instead I just try and eat those foods regularly (Beets, Apples, EVOO). The only one I haven't tried is the epsom salts and again, since I haven't had a bad spell I don't think I need to try that one yet.

I had the Gastric Emptying done today... but... The place I was scheduled to go to said my appt was cancelled when I got there. They told me my doctors office cancelled it. Ended up getting on the phone and my Doctors officed denied it, but the place had a fax with the word cancelled at the top so someone made a mistake. In the end, my doctors office was able to get me an appt elsewhere, 4hrs later, but I could have done without the extra stress. After all that, it was an easy test, just ate a cooked eggwhite on toast and some OJ and then took 5 pictures under an x-ray machine over the course of 90minutes. Now to wait for the results.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Thanks Nikki for taking the time to reply to my post. It has made me feel better and more determined to fight my cause. Sounds like you went through lots of suffering. It is a pain you cannot describe in the back isn't it? I have heard that as soon as you have your gallbladder out this pain goes away - is that the case?
I wish you a speedy recovery and would be really interested to know how you are getting on as time progresses. Have they told you that you will always have to eat carefully now? I really am going to try and push for the HIDA scan but I have been told they don't perform them any longer? It is very strange, perhaps I should start a new post about HIDA scans in the UK!

Take Care
Claire
Yeah, the pain in the back is the worst. I'm 4 days post-op, and did something really stupid and ate a piece of pizza (pepperoni and cheese) tonight. It was not a huge piece, and I thought I'd gotten away with it. But I've now got some pain in my back, and indigestion, just like before, only not as bad. I'm worried now b/c I'm thinking that the surgery wasn't a total success. I wonder if I should just stick with the lowfat/no-fat diet for a few weeks (as has been suggested by everyone). I just couldn't resist having a slice of pizza! I've been living off of very bland foods for 2 months, so I'm sure that pizza was a shock to my system. I'm hoping that my body will adjust to having no gall bladder (at least I HOPE it will). I just want to feel normal again. I'm not a happy camper right now, needless to say. But at least the pain and discomfort isn't on the same level that it was prior to surgery. It's still enough to annoy the crap out of me tho.

On a positive note, I didn't get any diarrhea.

Closed Thread