It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
(female)

nikkilewis HB User
Exclamation Adjusting to life after gall bladder removal - did I make the wrong choice?

I'm praying that I get some responses to this. I had my GB removed on 6/24/08. I'm 4 days post-op. For about 2 months prior to removal, I was on a pretty bland diet. As long as I stayed on the bland diet, I had no problems, but the closer I got to surgery, the more my GB was wanting to act up, even with bland foods. So I felt I had no choice but to remove it. I felt that things couldn't get any worse.

I promised myself I would eat a lowfat/no-fat diet for at least a month after my surgery, and then SLOWLY introduce fats into my diet. Well, I caved tonight and had a slice of pepperoni Tombstone pizza. I was so hungry, and just STARVING for something with some flavor. I didn't eat a HUGE slice, but just a little while ago, I had that same gall bladder pain in my back, only it wasn't as severe. The indigestion also started (when the back pain started). THis is NOT reassuring. Soo....

Is this my body's way of telling me that:

a) removing my gall bladder hasn't cured me, or

b) I shouldn't have eaten that slice of pizza b/c I'm only 4 days post-op.

Is it possible to have these little episodes right after GB removal, and then have them stop once your body has adjusted to having no GB?

I should note that I had no stones (none seen on ultrasound). I'm not sure if there were smaller stones in there - haven't got the pathology report back yet. My HIDA scan showed a 16% EF, which is low.

I am hoping to hear from people that had the same thing happen to them, only to find that everything worked out after a few weeks/months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
(male)

eihcet HB User
Re: Adjusting to life after gall bladder removal - did I make the wrong choice?

I've read that it can take months for the body to completely adjust, not for everyone but it can take a while. The pains should subside sooner, but 4 days was probably too early. I'd assume it was just your body telling you it wasn't quite ready for the bad stuff yet. There are, of course, other things that can cause the pain when the GB is removed, I just think it's too early to worry about it. Even if it does turn out to be something else it doesn't mean the GB wasn't also (going) bad. I wish I could offer more comfort, I'm in the same boat but pre-op right now. I worry I may get mine out too soon as well, so, I think I understand where you are. Hopefully some other folks post about their personal experience to make you feel better.

I read a post from a doctor that was pretty good, it said, most folks looking for advice/help in these forums are the ones who have problems. As such, we probably aren't going to find a lot of people who did feel better 6months later and haven't had any serious problems since. So, even if it sounds discouraging at first, keep your spirits up and hopefully it'll all work out.

They aren't very tasty, but, Lean Cuisine has some frozen Pizza's that are tolerable and low(er) fat. You might be able to get away with those every now and then until more recovered.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
(female)

Madalot HB User

My guess would be that 4 days post op was too soon to introduce something like pizza into your diet.

I had my gallbladder out in the beginning of February after ONE major attack with severe gallstones. My doctor was adament that I limit fat intake for a minimum of one month, then slowly introduce it back into my diet.

Be it good or bad, I ended up with a nasty flu 10 days post op so my appetite wasn't great anyway. I basically lived on broth, saltine crackers and gingerale. My mother-in-law fixed me a few dishes that were pretty bland and easy on the stomach. When I felt well enough to eat, I was still very careful about fat.

It's now 4 months later, and I can eat whatever I want. I do not regret having my gallbladder out at all.

I think the key to a successful recovery is take the advice about fat intake seriously.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Frankly, you did the dumbest thing you could have done at this point. When your gb is removed, a small bile duct takes over the function of the entire gb. It takes time for it to learn to do this. You just sent it into the strastosphere! You just forced a square peg in a round hole and it was not happy about it. Please don't do that again. You'll be even more sorry than this time.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I agree, 4 days PO is way too early to eat that much fat. I'm almost 8 months PO and I still have to watch what I eat, I can't eat pizza!

I find the Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine type meals are pretty tasty and low fat. I can eat those. I love the sesame chicken/noodles and it's 7gm of fat.

Of course I'm not convinced my GB was my problem since I am still having other issues, but that doesn't mean you made the wrong choice. My EF was 0% but I never had typical GB symptoms. Time will tell for you, just keep eating low fat!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalot View Post
My guess would be that 4 days post op was too soon to introduce something like pizza into your diet.

I had my gallbladder out in the beginning of February after ONE major attack with severe gallstones. My doctor was adament that I limit fat intake for a minimum of one month, then slowly introduce it back into my diet.

Be it good or bad, I ended up with a nasty flu 10 days post op so my appetite wasn't great anyway. I basically lived on broth, saltine crackers and gingerale. My mother-in-law fixed me a few dishes that were pretty bland and easy on the stomach. When I felt well enough to eat, I was still very careful about fat.

It's now 4 months later, and I can eat whatever I want. I do not regret having my gallbladder out at all.

I think the key to a successful recovery is take the advice about fat intake seriously.
Your post is very encouraging. I did lots of research prior to my GB removal, and I swore I'd only eat lowfat for at least the first month, and then slowly re-introduce fats into my diet. I clearly didn't do that. I am going to continue with my pre-surgery diet and eat low to no fat. Hopefully things will work out eventually. Fingers crossed!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Frankly, you did the dumbest thing you could have done at this point. When your gb is removed, a small bile duct takes over the function of the entire gb. It takes time for it to learn to do this. You just sent it into the strastosphere! You just forced a square peg in a round hole and it was not happy about it. Please don't do that again. You'll be even more sorry than this time.
I know! I need my butt kicked! What really gets me is that I KNEW better than to do that, but I did it anyway. I can't believe I did that, but I won't be doing it again for awhile. I'm not going to push my luck. I'm thankful that the pain wasn't really "pain", and that it only lasted about 10 minutes (which is much better than before my GB surgery). I'll stick with low-fat/no-fat for the next few weeks. Then I guess I'll try to SLOWLY introduce fat into my diet. Do you have any tips on doing that? Like what foods I should start with? I've read alot of your posts, and you seem very knowledgable about this, so I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
I agree, 4 days PO is way too early to eat that much fat. I'm almost 8 months PO and I still have to watch what I eat, I can't eat pizza!

I find the Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine type meals are pretty tasty and low fat. I can eat those. I love the sesame chicken/noodles and it's 7gm of fat.

Of course I'm not convinced my GB was my problem since I am still having other issues, but that doesn't mean you made the wrong choice. My EF was 0% but I never had typical GB symptoms. Time will tell for you, just keep eating low fat!
Oh Lord, that's now that I want to hear!!!! I hope that things work out for you, and for me! It's tough not being able to eat good stuff. I have had Healthy Choice meals, but haven't tried Lean Cuisine. I'll have to check that out.

It's so discouraging when you have your GB out and can't be sure that it's a cure. There are other things to worry about (Sphincter of Oddi, etc). I just want to be normal again.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

All I did was maybe put a small pat of butter on a piece of bread one day. Then the next maybe had a bite of cheese. And so on. Just adding a little each day.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
(female)

nikkilewis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
All I did was maybe put a small pat of butter on a piece of bread one day. Then the next maybe had a bite of cheese. And so on. Just adding a little each day.
Thanks. I know everyone is different, and that no two people will be the exact same, but I'm curious as to how long it took you before you could eat normally again?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Totally normal? I would say about 4 months because I had gotten used to being so low fat - it's better for you anyway! Then I got back into old habits.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
(female)

stephkp HB User
Smile Re: Adjusting to life after gall bladder removal - did I make the wrong choice?

Hi all I'm new to the boards. I have got gallstones and will probably be having surgery soon. How long were you out from work? I will be having lap surgey and I have an office job. I also have a 14 month old daughter.

What advice do you have for me?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Last edited by moderator4; 07-04-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

I was out 2 days and then worked 1/2 day the 3rd day and full time after that. You probably won't be able to pick your daughter up for 2- 3 weeks. I had to stay out of the gym 3 weeks. But I jogged 2 miles one week after surgery...

Closed Thread