It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

KellyCz HB User
Had laproscopic gall bladder removal last week: sharp pain in right side

Hi all,
I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically 6-26-08....Recovery is going well except for this annoying sharp pain in my right side. I know its near where the gallbladder used to be, but the pain started 2 days ago. Prior to this, my stomach muscles were sore, and I had pain at the incision sites, but it was relieved by taking Darvocet. I have taken 2 Darvocets today and am still having this pain....It feels almost like how one feels if you get a side ache while exercising. The pain is not severe, but defanetly annoying, you know its there type pain. Is this normal after surgery? I guess I am wondering if this is just part of the healing process or if I should be concerned that something else is going on. Thanks for any help you all can give.

Kelly

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
(female)

nikkilewis HB User
Re: Had laproscopic gall bladder removal last week: sharp pain in right side

I had mine removed on 6/24, and haven't had any pains like that. I'm sure that every recovery is different, but if the pain is really bad, contact your doctor, just to be on the safe side. Sorry I don't have more info for you! I'm sure some of the other members can share their experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

How have you been after the removal? How are your scars, are they noticeable? Also, what were your symptoms?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What have you eaten? If you've eaten something fatty, it could be the bile duct acting up. You should still be on a fat free diet.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I would definitely pursue this with your doctor. I might even push to get an ultrasound or xray to see what's wrong or to see if they left something in there. (It happens.) My son had hernia surgery when he was a baby, and later developed a huge (life threatening) abscess in the same location of the surgery.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
(female)

Goldlexus HB User

I had my GB taken out on July 7th. Recovery has been progressive. Each day better than the day before. Last night I experienced sharp pains on the right too. It has been coming and going ever since. It has subsided at this point. I decided to research it to find out what is wrong. It looks like there are a lot of GB patients that experience the same thing. So it may be a normal thing to happen. For now I am not going to worry about it unless I experience it more severly or other problems araise. It is just annoying at this point.

As for my scares they practically healed. The two on the side are barely visible. The two above my belly button are visible but they were the larger of the four.

Last edited by Goldlexus; 07-28-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
(female)

meliss1435 HB User

I had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks ago, and I am getting sharp, burning, stabbing pain on the left side of the belly button. The pain is not constant, but always comes when I stand up, stretch or move from side to side. Is this common? It really hurts and I tried to call the Dr., but he is away on holidays until the 13th of August. Its very numb to touch and hard.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

Geez, I wish I wouldn't have read this, I'm due to get mine out in a few weeks. I'm already worried about it, so I'm not happy that so many people are having this same problem.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
(female)

fortunesfool21 HB User

I had my gallbladder removed 6 days ago (7/30), and so far Ive done ok.

I have had diarrhea every day though and Ive had a almost "stitch in the side" type pain on my right side for the last 3 or 4 days.

Well I had my follow up with the surgeon today.

He actually thinks the diarrhea is a symptom not of bile salts diarrhea but an intestinal yeast infection! Due to the fact of the amount of antibiotics I took through the IV after surgery. Who would have thought?! I was actually almost relieved, seeing Ive been pretty low fat (probably less then 20 grams a day) all week (Ive even lost 6 lbs) and now at least have a sensible reason for the bathroom trips. He recommends (I already was doing this though) yogurt for at least a month. I told him that I had already started eating probiotic yogurt and cheese, he said that probiotics can really help someone who does not have a gallbladder and I should continue to take it if it helps.

As for the pain in the side, he said its more then likely muscular. This might be the same for you. He said they do have to involve you muscles in the surgery so it could just be bruising or inflammation, and as long as it isnt very painfull, it doesnt burn a whole lot and Im not showing other symptoms then I can be pretty sure its muscular or gas related and will go away in 4-6 weeks.

I wish all of us recent "no gallbladder" people luck out there!

Closed Thread