It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Lightbulb High Total Bilirubin and Gallbladder Infection

Does anyone have or had high bilirubin in the blood and gallbladder infection as well?

My blood tests showed chronically high total bilirubin, yet my ultrasound supposedly did not show thickening of gallbladder walls or infection... but my gallbladder is barely functioning...

Old 07-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
(male)

rajcharan HB User
Re: High Total Bilirubin and Gallbladder Infection

How high?, I have low ejection of gall bladder with no stones, my bilirubin is always around 1 to 1.5 range.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My bilirubin was elevated when I had my gallbladder out. It went back to normal a few weeks after having it removed.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Quote:
rajcharan - How high?, I have low ejection of gall bladder with no stones, my bilirubin is always around 1 to 1.5 range.
Normal total bilirubin level should be 0.2~1.2, mine has been between 1.7 ~ 2.0 for years.
Quote:
Titchou - My bilirubin was elevated when I had my gallbladder out. It went back to normal a few weeks after having it removed.
Yes it is typical for bilirubin levels to rise after cholecystectomy, as well as elevated liver AST ALT levels for a little while with no complications.

My worry is that what if I decide not to have the surgery, not knowing if my gallbladder is inflamed?

Another thing I want to see is does people with high bilirubin levels get chronic diahhrea easier after the surgery? After all bilirubin is excreted into bile in the gallbladder by the liver...

Last edited by AlanPi; 07-10-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: sp

Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry, I didn't word that well. When I went to the doctor with what I thought was a gb attack, he ran blood work that showed my bilirubin was double what it was the year before when it was normal. That, along with the pain, casued him to send me for the ultrasound which showed stones. About 3 months after removal, my bilirubin was back in the normal range and has remained there.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Went to my new Gastroenterologist today. She is great! She told me my high total Bilirubin is called Gilbert's Syndrome, which causes some jaundice. Being living 35 years without knowing this! She also told me a drug/supplement for it!

Being seening 5 other doctors and now I finally found an answer... whew...

Closed Thread