It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Help! Need relief for a gall bladder attack

I'm in the middle of a gall bladder attack, and I need some ideas for relief. What works for you?

I don't have gallstones, but my gallbladder is performing poorly (low HIDA numbers).

It's the first obvious one since I was diagnosed last month. Pain high in abdomen, nausea, back pain, etc. The pain is manageable but the nauseau is pretty bad. I also have a headache, and I feel really restless. I can't find a comfortable position and I can't find anything to distract me from it all (usually a funny movie helps). I also feel nauseus in my head (if that makes sense to anyone).

Any suggestions for tonight?

Any suggestions to ask the doctor about tomorrow?

Last edited by lucylucy; 08-27-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help! Need relief for a gall bladder attack

Generally speaking, the only relief is pain meds. Some people have mentioned using a heating pad but that never worked for me. In fact, nothing did...but then I had stones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Thanks. Ibuprofen did help quite a bit. I was afraid to take it before, but I feel better about it now that I know I don't have an ulcer

The doctor just gave me some nausea medication but I haven't tried it yet. The last time I felt nauseous, I vomited soon after it started.

I'm still trying to figure out which foods are triggers for me.

Last edited by lucylucy; 09-08-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Try soft foods/liquid or clear liquids. Look up the sort of foods that they put people on right after their gallbladders are removed - broths, pudding, bland soups, yogurt, etc. Keep it low fat and low fiber. This should help get you through the attack.
Chances are it was something fatty that set off your gallbladder attack or even raw vegetables.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

I've heard a lot of people have used apple cider vinegar and apple juice for an attack. Although I have never actually tried it myself, it couldn't hurt you.
I have read that apple cider vinegar is very beneficial for the digestive system and gallstones. Here is the recipe for an attack that I found. I have also read lemon juice and olive oil works for some people. It's best to use organic apple juice I have read but if you don't have it then just use whatever. I hope it helps.

If you have an attack, drink 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of apple juice. This should relieve the pain quickly.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
(female)

abeautifulash HB User

I would highly recommend taking an enzyme called Lipase. You can find this online in different forms or in a health food store. I don't know if I have stones yet (my ultrasound is tomorrow), but I've been struggling with severe pain and nausea for years now. I had a blood test earlier this week and they found tons of fat in my blood. I don't eat a fatty diet whatsoever, so it was obvious that I'm not digesting my fats. This is what bile does, and the gallbladder manages the bile. Regardless of whether I have stones or not, my gallbladder is not sending enough bile to my stomach to digest my food, and any fats I eat are remaining undigested and flooding my bloodstream. Obviously this doesn't make me feel to great! My doctor recommended taking Lipase (specifically Lipo Gold made by Enzymedica) with every meal, and even inbetween meals to break down excess fat. Well I took it last night with dinner, and for the first time in a week I didn't have to get up during the night to take medication for nausea. I would really recommend this!!

Also, peppermint oil and chamomile tea are really good for the gallbladder and digestion as well.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether4 View Post
Try soft foods/liquid or clear liquids. Look up the sort of foods that they put people on right after their gallbladders are removed - broths, pudding, bland soups, yogurt, etc. Keep it low fat and low fiber. This should help get you through the attack.
Chances are it was something fatty that set off your gallbladder attack or even raw vegetables.

OOH...no pudding - has milk in it. No milk, no cheese, no butter, no sour cream, no oils, etc....no fat. Doesn't have to be a bland diet, just not fried, greasy or fatty. Baked or gilled fish, chichen, turkey are fine. Potatoes, steamed veggies, fat free soups, yogurt, etc are fine.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-10-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
OOH...no pudding - has milk in it. No milk, no cheese, no butter, no sour cream, no oils, etc....no fat. Doesn't have to be a bland diet, just not fried, greasy or fatty. Baked or gilled fish, chichen, turkey are fine. Potatoes, steamed veggies, fat free soups, yogurt, etc are fine.
Maybe it's just because everyone's tolerance is different. But I can handle some dairy during a gallbladder attack, in small amounts. In my case, I'm mildly lactose intolerant. Usually this just means I can't enjoy a glass of normal milk or eat a lot of cheese, but during a gallbladder attack it seems my lactose intolerance is worse. Low fat lactose free milk only, and no cheese. Surprisingly, yogurt hasn't settled well in past attacks but vanilla pudding made with low fat lactose free milk did. I've had plain baked squash set off an attack before - maybe from the fiber.

Until the gallbladder comes out, one just has to figure out what they can and can't handle. (I just got through eating a big bowl of chili, something that has never made me sick) Over the last 8 years tomato soup has become a good fall back food for me when nothing else will settle well.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I was looking for an answer to this exact same question, so I read through. I don't understand what you mean by "gallbladder attack".

Mine are so painful and so fast. It is so bad I can't barely move. I can't eat anything at that time. I took Alka Seltzer and it hurt worse because it felt like I was so full. I had one this morning and I hadn't had anything to eat yet.

I've had 2 previously and they lasted about 15 minutes and felt so horrible, I felt like I was being stabbed! I had cold sweats and start shivering, and I get nausea.

I wanted to take Motrin but I couldn't find it and the top of my stomach hurt so bad that I did not want to swallow anything at the time. I forcer the Alka Seltzer. So, does Motrin work for this pain?

I have my next doctor apointment on the 24th and they will then send me to take my gallbladder out. They said I have sludge.

I am taking Prilosec and it helped for a while, now it doesn't. I can't eat much, but it's OK I can loose the weight. I took a vitamin this morning so I don't feel queezy. I have found pretzels are good and I have been eating pickles. No fat in either. I also made pudding with soy milk.
I can eat yoghurt either, and the doctor said I shouldn't.
For a while I was doing good eating "Smart Ones" frozen entrees. But now they are too much food for me.

I will see about apple cider. I have been having a glass of wine at night as usual, and I've had no problem. So I guess sour things don't hurt.
Thank you all for all the information, it is usefull even if it was someone else's question.

By the way, I was reading this thread and I was worried. When they take the gallbladder out, what breaks down the fat? I don't want to keep it!

Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Strawberry,

Something about the malic acid in the apple juice is supposed to break down the stones. Apple juice also improves diegestion. Acetic acid in vinegar lowers stomach acidity. So that could be one theory as to why it makes many people feel better after using this remedy during an attack.
I have read though that you should make sure that the apple juice is room temperature or at least add warm water because cold drinks chill the liver or something.

However, I read you should avoid alcohol.

As for the pickles, I know cucumbers are good for the GB and we already know vinegar is so I can see why pickles would be easier on you.

Another thing you can try is 1/4 of a cup of beet juice. Hopefully you like beets. They're supposedly good for the gallbladder and during attacks.

Good luck!

Last edited by Alliecatt; 09-17-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you. I do like beets, I have a can somewhere, I'll keep it on hand. I took an aspirin earlier and now the pain is gone. I still feel so full, and all I've had today is a cup of oatmeal this morning after the pain went away.
I guess that's good, I need to loose some weight.

I just wish I had some soda, it helps my stomach settle. Baking soda used to help, now it feels like I stay bloated, I feel like one of those puffy fish.

It's kind of difficult to work, because I have been burping way too much, and my job requires me to be on the phone constantly. So needless to say I hit the mute button often.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Strawberry,

I hope you find a remedy that works for you. Do be careful though when taking pain relievers as some of them could mask the pain or symptoms. Make sure to watch for symptoms such as fever, chills or vomiting as these are signs that your GB could be infected or other serious complications that need urgent medical attention.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you. You are right, I usually don't take pain medication if I think it will hide the symptoms, but now I feel like there is no choice. I do get nausea and chills when it hurts, but I already told the doctor. I don't think I get fever, and I try so hard not to throw up. I'll be careful. I just need to hang in there until the 24th. Then they will tell me if they will be taking it out on the 30th or on a different date.
If it gets really bad, I'll call the doctor. I can't afford to keep missing work, so I don't want to go to the hospital to wait all day to see the doctor, unless I really need to and there is something he can do. Otherwise, he'll just tell me to hang in there until I get it taken out.
Thank you for the advice.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Strawberry, did you have your surgery? I hope you're doing well.

It seems that everyone's triggers and symptoms are a little different. Stones, sludge and dyskinisia may require different solutions. I haven't tried beets yet, but I like them. I heard they were good for gallstones, but I wonder if they'll work for me. I'll definitely get some apple juice.

I've only used my nausea medication once so far, and it worked very quickly.

So far the worst single food for me was birthday cake from a bakery. The frosting made me feel bloated and nauseous after just a bite. They must make the frosting from pure (disgusting!) shortening. Otherwise steak and big meals are my biggest problems. I'm suddenly off yogurt. I ate it early last summer, but now just the thought of it makes me feel a little sick. I can still handle milk.

I've been doing pretty well on a high fiber diet to prevent constipation. My IBS causes more pain than my gallbladder at this point. But I think it's all related. Whenever I get constipated, it leads to a week of feeling bad all over.

Last edited by lucylucy; 10-01-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #15
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

I just did yesterday. I am in a little pain now, but I know it will pass. I was just up paying bills on the internet.
I haven't been able to eat much yet, I tried oatmeal this morning, it made me a little sick. The nurse called to follow up on me. Said I should concentrate on liquids for now. They said I could eat whatever I felt I could stomach. SO I am not on restrictions, but I am still a little off.
Seems I also have to go to the bathroom so much, just for a tiny bit at a time. It's getting better.
They made little holes in me, four of them. One in my belly button. I am sore, taking pain medication.

Closed Thread