It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

gingerwolf HB User
Question Waiting to have my gall bladder removed

I have recently been diagnosed with gall stones and unfortunately where I am there is a 10 month wait for surgery. I am controlling the nausea by eating very small amounts and cutting out all fat, meat, greasy food, egg, etc. My question is for anybody who has gone through this before. often at night my abdomen swells up and it's quite painful, plus it disturbs my sleep. If I sit up really straight and stretch out my abdomen it eases the pain slightly but this is also a rather uncomfortable position that's definitely not designed for sleep. I've tried yoga. I've tried getting on all fours and arching my back or putting a stack of pillows under my abdomen. I'm at the point where it's making me kind of mental and I have 9 months left to wait for surgery. Does anyone know a way of easing this pain. I don't know why it happens mostly at night

Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
(female)

JenHelm68 HB User
Re: Waiting to have my gall bladder removed

I had my gallbladder removed 16 years ago when my oldest daughter was 6 months old. If I knew then what I know now, I'd still have my gallbladder.

There are alternatives to breaking those stones and passing them. Easy remedies that do not entail surgery. Your body needs the gallbladder to properly digest food. Look into a health practioner who uses nutritional supplements or natural remedies. Ask around, you'll find someone who has used a person they trust. They will work on your whole digestive system and ease your symptoms now...not 9 months from now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Eat Apples and drink apple juice daily. They help soften the gallstones. Also eat beets daily they help you digest greatly.

Also lookup gallbaldder flush on the net. It could be risky so be warned. Also it is not scientifically proven to work, but I found the epsom salts help you relax intestinal muscles.

You can also get Ambien to help you sleep and Librax to relax intestines. Ask you doctor about them.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

I have stones and have been putting off surgery for 8 years now... Not the wisest choice as I have not been symptom free all these years. I have surgery Wednesday.

In all of these years dealing with this I have never had swelling. This doesn't sound right. Maybe there's a possibility that you have a stone stuck in a duct - which is serious and needs to be treated now. You don't want to try to force passing something that could be a couple centimeters long through a tiny duct.
If you have to wait 10 months keep watching your diet. Low fat foods should be enough instead of no fat, no raw veggies (or very few and not very high fiber), and watch your fiber intake during flare ups.

Interesting that you can't handle eggs either. I can only occasionally eat them and only boiled.

Last edited by aether4; 09-30-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
(female)

gingerwolf HB User

Thanks aether4. I've been tryin gto think of ways besides beans and tofu (which I can't stand) to get protein in my basically meat free diet. I will try to boil an egg and see if I can stomach it. I'm going to speak to my doctor this week about the swelling. I had an ultrasound two weeks ago and there were no apparent stones stuck in the ducts and I had no infection or thickenign of the gallbladder walls.
I looked into natural remedies but was cautioned against it by my natural practioner because the stones are apparently large. I guess I'll have to modify my diet for the rest of my life.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
(female)

JenHelm68 HB User

Bloating and upset stomach can also be a sign (of many things) but one being wheat or gluten intolerance. Maybe you have a couple of problems going at the same time?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

I've heard of people crossing the border to get a faster surgery in the U.S. Assuming that's not an option, I think you might find some relief from medications for your symptoms. There are a lot of nausea medications that might help. My doctor gave me trimethobenzamide, which was very helpful the one night I really needed it. There are also some anti-gas medications available over-the-counter (Gas-X?). Ask your doctor if they'd be safe for you.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had my removed and having all kinds of problems. You just have to worry about the stones moving through your bile duct. I would request an xray before they do the surgery so that you know they haven't traveled since your waiting so long for the surgery to be done.

Closed Thread