It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

lisa990108 HB User
Question Can fibromyalgia involve the gall bladder?

Does anyone have gall bladder problems or know a possible relation between fibro and gall bladder problems? I am in the "stages" of being diagnosed with FM. I have found a dr that seems to think it and is going through all the appropriate actions to rule other things out and diagnose me. During a physical exam he gave me last week, he found an area I had pain in and was unaware of. I was lying on the exam table and when he put pressure in my stomach area under my right rib cage it hurt badly. I had never had pain there before, but, as he applied pressure it really hurt! He then asked if I had a history of gall stones or pain. I don't, and am curious if this is fibro related or not.

Thanks,
lisa

Old 10-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

roseratlarge HB User
Re: Can fibromyalgia involve the gall bladder?

Gallbladder disease would not be related to fibromyalgia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
(female)

moosie1 HB User

I agree. When you have fibro, or combination of fibro/chronic fatigue, you can hurt ANYWHERE and everywhere. It depends on the person, and how bad you have it. I am now at the point where I hurt all over almost everyday. I've been told specifically that having these diseases doesn't affect the gall bladder. That certainly doesn't mean that you don't have g.b. trouble however.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

I concur with the other responses. Did the doc order a test to see if you had gallstones?

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Last year before I was diagnosed with fibro. I hurt really bad in the area that you described. I have had 4, yest 4 test for gall bladder in the last 5 years. So I say yes, Fibro can mimick a lot of different conditions.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
(female)

jessbcuz10 HB User

The closest I can think of (in my case) was I was diagnosed with IBS years before the Fibro even came into play, now they are saying a good portion of people with Fibro have IBS.

IMO--I am certainly not a doctor but I would not discount it could be related. Since Fibro attacks your entire central nervous system--It would seem to me that its effects well basically everything.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I have had gall bladder problems, actually had mine removed after fighting it for a year. I can't see how the two can be related. That said, I do agree that with fibro there are many things that can mimic other problems. As I said, I had my gallbladder removed and I still get pains that sort of mimic the same symptoms in that area. My doc (knowing my gallbladder was removed) had me do an upper GI thing and it turned out I have duodinitis. I would always get things checked out, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Glojer

Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

Peacee HB User

I have fibro and have had it for over 20 years ( before it was called fibromyalgia) and I also had gall stones, so it's possible that you have both. I had my gall bladder removed several years ago. It could just be a tender spot from fibro but definitely have your doctor check into the possibility of your having gall stones in addition to fibro. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Hard to figure what comes from what. Sometimes help can harm--that's my gallbladder/fm story. I was on Lyrica and Cymbalta for fm. Lyrica helped a lot of things, BUT it completely stopped bowel movements. Three months later, I've been diagnosed with a kidney stone, with gall stones, with ovarian cyst, and with an enlarged gallbladder. I've been in severe pain since the 15th; same thing happened in April and to a lesser extent, a couple of times in between. After months of severe pain, I had my right ovary removed on Friday. Pain remained, so oops, there went an ovary for nothing! Today I was told the gallbladder needs to come out (and maybe, just maybe I can wear a bra again one day and not be sick to my stomach). But the pain in the lower right pelvic area won't be helped by this next surgery, so what about that??? They are suggesting a hernia??? Lord have mercy. Loved Lyrica, but my story is this. If any medicine shuts down your basic systems, get off it! I was also put on Cymbalta and had to stop it because it shut down the ability to pee. Hope you get some help, kiddo!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
(female)

lisa990108 HB User

Thank you everyone for your, experience, opinions, facts... It is great to learn so much from others, certain things you just do not find all the answers to from other sources. I can now feel the pain there sometimes with out any pressure it just comes and goes. So I will let my dr know this next visit and go from there... and whatever strange new symptom I seem to encounter that week. Sometimes I have to stop and think is this really happening, so many weird things, for a split second I wonder if it is in my head.. But, then I feel the physical pain and remember itís all too real, it just sounds crazy. I can only imagine what "normal" people must think. I rarely and barely go into detail bc I know one who has not experienced the unbelievable, strange, painful, "symptoms/problems" would have to think they are products of a lunatics imagination. LOL

Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
(female)

gailrcampbell HB User

I see this thread started in '08. I've had fibromyalgia for 22 years. Shortly after that being diagnosed, I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome in '88. Flash forward to '04 and a gall stone attack. Another in '10. Felt like hell all the time, with increasing pain which my doc wrote off to my fibromyalgia. The usual overall pain, fatigue, soreness. My thumbs were getting arthritic, my bunion was on fire, and all my joints ached. Went to get my gallbladder out. The surgeon asked about symptoms. I mentioned the IBS and he said he thought that would improve post-surgery.

After surgery, he said the gallbladder hadn't been working for quite some time ("walls like cement", much pre-gangreenous scar tissue surrounding organ, etc.) In short, I was largely asymptomatic. But removing the organ has been a revelation in complete relief of overall pain, fatigue, soreness, thumb and foot pain, etc. IBS is largely gone.

A sister who also has fibromyalgia was going into the hospital when I was getting out for gallbladder removal as well.

I'm wondering whether there are any studies to track the coincidence of fibromyalgia and gallbladder problems. Does anyone know?

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-02-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Closed Thread