It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User
Question overfull and bloated after gallbladder surgery

I had my gallbladder removed last week. I have been so overfull ever since. I have had a day or two in which I could eat a little something, like a pop tart or nibbled on apple bits.
I have taken Gas X and it helps with gas, I tried Peptobismol and antiacids. I am still taking Prilosec as I was before.
I don't know what is wrong, I feel so full, like I am going to burst. It makes it hard to breathe because of the pressure. I can't take deep breaths anyway, because it hurts right around my rib area, but I figure it's normal, that's where the gallbladder was.
They made 4 tiny holes to take it out. Those are doing OK. I am just a bit sore still.
But, why am I so bloated still? Anyone have any advice they could share please? Thank you
Strawberry

Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: overfull and bloated after gallbladder surgery

I had mine out last Thursday. I feel a little bloated but not even remotely what you're describing. Though, I'm really watching what I eat and have some cholestyramine (questran) powder on hand from a previous bacterial infection if I need it to help with the diarrhea. I'm guessing from the pop tart that you're not taking it easy with food - even if they did say you can eat whatever you want, it's best not to really push your luck.

I'm sore, but able to take almost normal deep breaths and have been able to since Saturday. One thing is to not breathe with your stomach, breathe in and let your chest expand and don't tighten up those abdominal muscles - that's what hurts so much.

I suggest you give your doctor a call tomorrow just to make sure things are ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you walking as much as possible? The gas they use to inflate you can take a long time to dissipate if you don't move around. That could be part of the problem.

And I'd lay off the pop tarts! Plain toast -maybe some jelly on it, cereal with no milk, plain bagel, etc for breakfast. No fat, no spicey....

And apples are a gas factory looking for a place to happen. No roughage...it's very hard to digest.

Last edited by Titchou; 10-08-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

mizzaj HB User

How long have you been bloated and full? I noticed that I developed bloating and extreme fullness a few days after the surgery, and it lasted about 5 days. I was eating virtually no fat, but for some reason I felt like even a small, fat free bagel would leave me feeling full for hours. Luckily it went away. Maybe it is some residual gas from the surgery, or maybe it's just part of the adjustment as I think it was for me.....I hope it goes away for you soon!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it. The apple was OK, and each day the gas in my stomach in the mornings is getting a to be a little less. No the bloating doesn't seem to corelate to eating. I hadn't eaten for a day or two and I was so full. The nurse called to check on how I was doing on the second day. She said I should drink a lot of fluids, and not worry about food just yet, I could eat, but don't worry. I told her it was difficult because it feels like it doesn't fit. Liquids don't fit, I feel like I am going to burst and can't move after a half a cup. I sit and feel like a little barrel. It makes it hard to breathe. like there is no room left for my lungs to fill up. I run out of air easily.
Yesterday I went to the store with my husband, so he could keep an eye on me. I walked around, but noticed that if I go too fast I run out of air and have to sit. I took it slower and did better. Today I feel better. But still, if I breathe too deep I feel a sharp pain in my rib area where my gallbladder used to be. I can't yawn and I am terrified of sneezing, it feels like a sharp stabbing pain that stops me.
But seems like it all is easing up, doing better each day.
Thank you, it is of great help to me to hear form other people who have a similar problem. I don't feel alone.
Strawberry

Closed Thread