It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

kkyy HB User
gallbladder not showing on hida scan

I had HIDA scan, but after laying down for 2 hours, my gallbladder did not show at all. My ultrasound came back normal, so it's not stones or tumor, I assume. What could my HIDA scan result mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
(female)

weasley HB User
Re: gallbladder not showing on hida scan

Not sure what your results mean. However, I had no stones but my gallbladder was not working. You should ask for a Cat Scan or MRI.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
(male)

eihcet HB User

Nonvisualization of the Gallbladder during a HIDA Scan is a very good sign that it's having issues. The doctors will have to weigh that factor with other tests and symptoms to make a recommendation. That said, I just read that if you fast too long before the test (>24hrs) it can sometimes cause that to happen--but I'm not sure how true that is. I ended up fasting a good 16hrs before mine (Because of a scheduling error) and when I finally did have my test it barely showed up... so now I'm wondering if that extended fast was the reason.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
(male)

StrangeRanger09 HB User

that could be a very good explanation, E. I'm a Nuc Med Tech, so I perform them quite a bit. I've had a couple cases where they were just stubborn and didn't visualize. They way a HIDA scan works is that the tracer that they inject you with simulates a fatty meal, this provokes the GB into thinking that it needs to start making bile to help digest it, and it starts filling up. If you've fasted for too long before the test, the GB doesn't think it needs to start working, so it just sits there. The normal time to fast is usually 4-6 hours before the test. So if you can schedule it early in the morning, just don't eat any breakfast and you should be fine.

Closed Thread