It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
dotcomer

Gallbladder Issue

I have been diagnosed with a malfunctioning gallbladder with an ejection fraction rate of like 21%. My gallbladder does not give me a lot of problems, but sometimes it does. Mt doctor said I should not have it taken out. Is there anything natural or any ways to get my gallbladder functioning better?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
(male)

blahblahbladder HB User
Re: Gallbladder Issue

I'm in the midst of being diagnosed with something related to my gallbladder. Nothing affirmative yet, but in the meantime, I've read about the use of olive oil. I've added some lemon juice to two tablespoons of olive oil daily (just started) and will let you know if it relieves the symptoms I'm facing. Perhaps read up on the benefits of oils for the gallbladder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
(female)

caverba HB User

If you are not having blockage it is possible to try to keep it. Unfortunately you may have to have it removed eventually.

Try teas/tinctures: dandelion root, marshmallow root, calendula, licorice root or oregon grape. There is also a naturalpathic chinese medicine called bupluerum 12. These can help alleviate and flush out your gall bladder/liver.

However these are not cures. Keep an eye on your bilirubin levels and gets scans. People get gall stones and can live with them, its just the risk of your gall bladder failing or your bile ducts being blocked to your liver or pancreas. You can live without your gall bladder, but not your liver.

Good luck and I felt your pain.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You really need to keep a close watch on it. A low functioning gb can be a sign of infection and/or inflammation. It can rupture and then you'd be in the ER possibly having the old fashioned big cut and a long hospitilization and recovery.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
(male)

aqua774 HB User

I have a malfunctioning gallbladder also. No stones or blockage on the HIDA scan, just doesn't perform up to par. My first GI sent me to a surgeon to schedule to have it removed and the surgeon suggested that since i did not have the common symptoms, nauseau, cramping over from stones or something, that I should not have it removed. So I went to another GI, and he said he does not recommend that I have it removed either. I also was wondering if there was anything to do to get my gallbladder functioning better.

I was diagnosed with IBS but the first GI doc seems to think that if i get my gallbladder removed that the majority of my "IBS" symptoms will go away!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
(female)

caverba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua774 View Post
I have a malfunctioning gallbladder also. No stones or blockage on the HIDA scan, just doesn't perform up to par. My first GI sent me to a surgeon to schedule to have it removed and the surgeon suggested that since i did not have the common symptoms, nauseau, cramping over from stones or something, that I should not have it removed. So I went to another GI, and he said he does not recommend that I have it removed either. I also was wondering if there was anything to do to get my gallbladder functioning better.

I was diagnosed with IBS but the first GI doc seems to think that if i get my gallbladder removed that the majority of my "IBS" symptoms will go away!
Depending on your heritage, doing a gluten free diet may help with the IBS. Not always, but sometimes it helps. There are many options to replace gluten with rice/corn based stuff (pastas, tortillas). Your gallbladder serves to store the bile, is it dumping too much or not enough bile to digest?

Keep an eye on it as this may be the beginning stages of failure or stones.

Last edited by caverba; 01-02-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
(male)

aqua774 HB User

How would you know if your gallbladder is failing? I mean my HIDA scan stated i had a ejection rate of 20%. Is that failing? And what can i do to bring back that 32% plus functioning rate?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, if it is not functioning at the proper level (above 35%) it is failing by definition.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
(male)

aqua774 HB User

Well my doc says some function is better than no function at all? So is that right or wrong? Everyone I talk to says keep it at all cost and I hear such horror stories after people get theirs out and then continue on with the same issues. Especially worries me when the surgeon says taking your gallbladder out is not 100% guaranteed to fix the problem!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Well, yes and no. It may never get worse. And where you are now is where you'll always be. However, it could get worse. And monitoring it is the only way to know - having a HIDA scan every so often to see if it is worsening. The problem with this is that there is no test to show why it is not functioning properly except to take it out and check it for inflmmation, damage, sludge, etc. So, if you have no stones you may still have damage, etc and that can worsen to a rupture. It's just something you have to keep an eye on as long as you can stand the symptoms.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

Certainly some function is better than none. It's going to be your decision, but for most people the decision point is when they are having recurring pain. It sounds like from your previous posts, that you are not having a lot of painful symptoms. Of course things like whether you have medical insurance to cover the operation may play a role in the decision also.

The causes of gallbladder disease can be irritation, if you have "sludge" in the gallbladder (ie, small sand like material--that would eventually form stones), infection or if the muscles have been weakened. There is a small study that indicates that some over the counter drugs like Prilosec may cause the muscles in the gallbladder to not contract as hard as they should.

Not knowing the cause, can make treatment uncertain. There is a prescription drug Ursodiol/actigall that can help dissolve some stones and sludge in some patients. I am on a regimen of ursodiol and fish oil and am virtually pain free after previously having many symptoms. It is an expensive and lengthy treatment.

While you read the stories of people who have post-surgery problems, remember that it is only around 10% who have problems and these tend to be those who had the most pain and symptoms to start with.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
(male)

aqua774 HB User

So with your regimen you are on now, are you on that because stones were found? I am wondering if I could be placed on that also. But my bile ducts and everything is clear and I have no stones. Just a 20 something % ejection fraction rate. I wonder if that regimen will help my gallbladder out? And I do have health insurance, that is not a problem. I just read a lot about people that experience the same problems after having the gallbladder removed!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

When they did my ultrasound, they only found one small stone or cyst. My HIDA scan showed a 23% ejection rate. The thing about sludge is that it frequently does not show up on the ultrasound.

The folks who tend to have the worst outcomes after surgery are the ones who are the worst off to begin with. For example those who pass gallstones that are very painful and irritate or harm the biliary duct. Removing the gallbladder does nothing to heal the duct and stones can even form in the ducts.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
(male)

aqua774 HB User

So I am wondering would it hurt me to take Urdisol if sludge is my case. This stuff may help me out even though stones did not show up in the HIDA scan. From what I read, sludge is very hard to show up on anything.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
(male)

You will want to talk with your GI doc. Many doc's are reluctant to prescribe Ursodiol. First, it's a relatively expensive treatment that usually takes at least a year; I noticed relief within several months. Secondly, many treated with it will have recurring gallbladder issues w/in several years.

Closed Thread