It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
(male)

chevmal283 HB User
Help. Soon to have gallbladder removed. Questions:

Hey. Three lumbar and two cervical surgeries in five years. Eleven years dealing with the terrible pain related to surgeries and injury--or that is, the injury and the related surgeries. I'm a mess. Detoxed in '07 after years on Actiq and other assortment of meds. Have bladder dysfunction--bladder neck doesn't open. Have always figured that bowel problems caused my meds. I sure that is the case, but for last two years, terrible pain in stomach and colon/intestine.

It as if my body just broke down after detox. I am terrified at the prospect of having gallbladder removed. I'm told by gastro it is needed. Have calicified gallstones.

Has anyone here done the liver/gallbladder flushes? Any sucess?

Has anyone here had the gallbladder removed? Are you ok now? Or do you regret it?

Any info appreciated.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

Maza HB User
Re: Help. Soon to have gallbladder removed.Quetions:

Hi
I had my gall bladder removed in April 2008 after having only 2 attacks.
The pain with the attacks was terrible and lasted approx 10 hours each time.
Absolutely no other symptons in between attacks.
I only had 2 gall stones in the gall bladder, but my surgeon told me that when he removed the bladder it was ready to come out as it had started to erode and I would have started getting more attacks.
Also one of the stones was partial blocking the exit duct out of the bladder, which caused the erosion.
I certainely don't regret getting it removed and have been problem free since then.
Take care
ps. mine was removed using laparoscopy (3 tiny upper abdomen scars and one in my belly button where they pulled the bladder out of)

Last edited by Maza; 02-03-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Type of surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I had mine removed after suffering in pain for over a year. I had a new lease on life! I felt like a million bucks...no more pain and I could eat! The only bad effect was that I lost about 20 pounds the first couple of months after the surgery. That may not sound bad, but I was only about 118 before the surgery. I had to shop at Kids R Us for clothes...embarrassing. But the weight came back and I was a new person.

Mine was laser surgery so recovery was minimal. I recommend having the surgery.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneon82 View Post
I had mine removed after suffering in pain for over a year. I had a new lease on life! I felt like a million bucks...no more pain and I could eat! The only bad effect was that I lost about 20 pounds the first couple of months after the surgery. That may not sound bad, but I was only about 118 before the surgery. I had to shop at Kids R Us for clothes...embarrassing. But the weight came back and I was a new person.

Mine was laser surgery so recovery was minimal. I recommend having the surgery.

I meet someone the other day who had his gallbladder removed years ago, and says life is good. Others, on forums here and there, say don't do it.

Can ya still eat Pizza? My decision is gonna be heavily upon whether or not can eat pizza.

Where in Cali did ya have the surgery? I've heard of the laser and the lap as the other poster here mentioned. Thinking laser would be the way to go if I do it.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maza View Post
Hi
I had my gall bladder removed in April 2008 after having only 2 attacks.
The pain with the attacks was terrible and lasted approx 10 hours each time.
Absolutely no other symptons in between attacks.
I only had 2 gall stones in the gall bladder, but my surgeon told me that when he removed the bladder it was ready to come out as it had started to erode and I would have started getting more attacks.
Also one of the stones was partial blocking the exit duct out of the bladder, which caused the erosion.
I certainely don't regret getting it removed and have been problem free since then.
Take care
ps. mine was removed using laparoscopy (3 tiny upper abdomen scars and one in my belly button where they pulled the bladder out of)
The part about pulling the bladder out via the belly button, oh my...

Yeah, I read your post the other poster's and become more convinced that I indeed have gallbladder issue, but as well have bowel issues related to the back and neck surgeries.

Thanks to both of ya for responding.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
(female)

Maza HB User
Re: Help. Soon to have gallbladder removed. Questions:

Hi,
I still have pizza now and again and I don't suffer any problems after eating it.
I will say though that if I do eat a meal that has more fat in it than normal, I then get a dose of diarrohea (sp).
(which unfortunately happens to me after eating my favourite mexican meal which I can't resist ).
If you do end up getting your gall bladder out. its best to take it easy for a month or two (eg. low fat meals) then re-introduce foods that you used to eat and see how your body reacts to them.
Obviously this concerns only food with highish fat content.
Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I seldom eat pizza because I'm lactose intolerant. I also had a bowel resection due to diverticulitis, so I avoid pizza because it tends to irritate my bowel. Oh, and I also have IBS and thyroid disease, high triglycerides, and am being treated for high blood pressure.

I can't imagine that you'd have to give up pizza. But I'm hispanic and had to give up my beloved chile. It was either that or have terrible pain.

I live in Southern California. I'd rather not disclose the exact location, but I found a wonderful doctor who referred me to a great surgeon. The laser surgery was a snap, I was in pain the day of surgery and for about 3 days after, then went back to work feeling like a million bucks. Tiny little scars I can barely see.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
I seldom eat pizza because I'm lactose intolerant. I also had a bowel resection due to diverticulitis, so I avoid pizza because it tends to irritate my bowel. Oh, and I also have IBS and thyroid disease, high triglycerides, and am being treated for high blood pressure.

I can't imagine that you'd have to give up pizza. But I'm hispanic and had to give up my beloved chile. It was either that or have terrible pain.

I live in Southern California. I'd rather not disclose the exact location, but I found a wonderful doctor who referred me to a great surgeon. The laser surgery was a snap, I was in pain the day of surgery and for about 3 days after, then went back to work feeling like a million bucks. Tiny little scars I can barely see.

The morning after a violent night of detox (wasn't suppose to be violent) I was terrible ill--bowel speaking. It hasn't let up since then. Odd, my first visit to ER after detox for the bowel pain and not voiding for 12 days, blood test done and found that I had pancreatitis. Later blood test revealed that it had to be acute pancreatitis, thank God. But the blood test also revealed that I have high, high bad cholestral, and low, low good cholestral. And my triglycerides was 600+. Scary. Regular blood test while medicated for pain for 10 years, no problems; yet, after detox, hell breaks loose in my body.

I ain't hispanic, but that is pretty much all I eat. It's da kine. When I got pancreatitis as was told no mas carne asada, man, I was depressed. And yeah, I dig the chili, esp the hot hot ones.

Anyway, I'm searching for laser surgeon, but maybe all ready said that. Post too much here and there to remember what I've said to whom. Ya do not have to give yer location exactly, howabout the last name of surgeon. All I have found in SD in terms of laser gallbladder surgery is at Sharp Memorial. I haven't look into the L.A. area where I live part time. Family spread out.

I have had to quit all dairy too, though I don't know for sure that I'm lactose intolerant. All I know, is that I get sicker when consume it--even pizza. I was told by gastro no test to learn that your lactose intolerant other than consume a lot at one time and see what happens. Yeah, pretty obvious.

I'm suppose to have my tyroid check next. My brother has tyroid problems.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Dr. Peter. Los Angeles County area. Keep in mind this was about 14 years ago. He was a terrific surgeon and did a great job. Seriously, one tiny incision about 3/4" in length and a pin***** in width, two others that look like a snake bit me (tiny too) and my belly button, which is basically invisible. They healed wonderfully and the pain was minimal. I recovered fully.

I would guess you might be lactose intolerant from what you've described. Mine came on after adulthood. So did my severe peanut allergy.

Giving up foods you love for quality of life is a definite dilemma. Sometimes I do cheat, and sometimes I regret it, but my bowel illness is serious and was life-threatening before my surgery. Not worth it. I find that I can still eat many foods I love.

I have wondered if there's a connection between gall bladder disease and thyroid disease. You're the third person I've heard of who has both besides me. Interesting...

Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Dr. Peter. Los Angeles County area. Keep in mind this was about 14 years ago. He was a terrific surgeon and did a great job. Seriously, one tiny incision about 3/4" in length and a pin***** in width, two others that look like a snake bit me (tiny too) and my belly button, which is basically invisible. They healed wonderfully and the pain was minimal. I recovered fully.

Thanks, I'm farther south as I probably all ready stated, will look into LA if nothing found in SD; but I'm sure there has to be. I didn't know this laser surgery been around that long. I though I was a new tech. There has to be something around here. Though SD big. I would prefer not to have to drive past 7 miles. Ha. The distance to the beach from my home. Read about the difference between laser and the lapo, yeah, I much rather have the laser if I do this (I still might join the flushing community.

I would guess you might be lactose intolerant from what you've described. Mine came on after adulthood. So did my severe peanut allergy.

I figure the same. I wasn't before detox. And regarding the peanut allergy--I almost never eat peanuts, then few months back, at family's house, I'm hungry (another thing I notice, either really hungery, or just sick and won't eat) so I ate roasted peanuts. I got so sick. So much pain. I never told the gastro that. What is going on? Rhetorical question. Yeah, I'm an adulthood.

Giving up foods you love for quality of life is a definite dilemma. Sometimes I do cheat, and sometimes I regret it, but my bowel illness is serious and was life-threatening before my surgery. Not worth it. I find that I can still eat many foods I love.

"Life-threatening"? You also mentioned "diver.." too. I'm feel terrible for ya.
Kind of ya to be posting here. Helping out other folk. So you got sick without any surgery to your body first? Or on meds for a long time? That might be too personal a question.

OK, I have the flu so keeping away from Net today and just rest.

I have wondered if there's a connection between gall bladder disease and thyroid disease. You're the third person I've heard of who has both besides me. Interesting...

Closed Thread