It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

teacher17 HB User
Question Gallbladder Surgery-Coffee or no coffee

I had my gallbladder out last week and have been doing okay. I have had some loose stools and some formed (yuck), but have really wanted to start having some coffee. How are other people doing with coffee after gallbladder surgery? Thanks for a quick reply.

Last edited by teacher17; 06-10-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder Surgery-Coffee or no coffee

Coffee shouldn't be a problem. You should be avoiding fatty, greasy food and spicy food.
Are you using milk or creamer in the coffee?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
(female)

teacher17 HB User

I drink my coffee black usually unless from starbucks I have a Soy Latte, where they use soy milk instead of milk. I tried to have some nonfat milk a couple of days ago in my oatmeal and had terrible cramping, etc.. I have been eating completely nonfat.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

NO FAT FOR 4 WEEKS...and that means in your cereal, in your coffee, in your tea, whatever. And that means no dairy of any kind...non fat,low fat or otherwise. Then you should be find to slowly introduce it back into your diet. But caffeine is not a problem.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

jamierenae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
NO FAT FOR 4 WEEKS...and that means in your cereal, in your coffee, in your tea, whatever. And that means no dairy of any kind...non fat,low fat or otherwise. Then you should be find to slowly introduce it back into your diet. But caffeine is not a problem.
what NO fat??? no one ever told me that!!! 4 days now after my surgery and I have been eating fatty stuff if anything veggies gave me diareha today :-(

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I had mine removed and having all kinds of problems with nausau, bloating so I have to a gasterologist.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
(female)

teacher17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Thanks so much! That's pretty much what I've been doing. I had 1 cup of coffee today. Yumm! And I didn't have to run to the bathroom. I did make the mistake of having some fat before this message and I did pay for that. Great info-thanks again.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
(female)

teacher17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I had mine removed and having all kinds of problems with nausau, bloating so I have to a gasterologist.
So sorry to hear that. I've read a lot on this site about gallbladder surgery and it sounds like you are not alone. There is a thread that has to do with taking this cholesterol reducing drug for gastrointestinal issues related to gall bladder surgery. I can't remember the name of the drug.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I would love to find that thread - I took tricor which you should not take if you have gallbladder disease. I took it before mine was removed.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
(female)

shannonlynn911 HB User
Angry Re: Gallbladder Surgery-Coffee or no coffee

Hi!!
I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago today because I couldn't drink coffee, alcohol or eat anything fried without throwing up. (Also, because I had a LOT of gallstones & my doc said it was necessary)
Now that I've had it removed I was sooooooooooooooo excited about being able to drink coffee again but when I try I get really bad pains in my side, diarrhea and I feel really nauseous.
WHAT WAS THE POINT OF HAVING IT REMOVED IF I STILL CAN'T EAT OR DRINK THE STUFF I LOVE!!?????!!!!
I'm sooooooooooooooo upset!! Is there ANY hope???????

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
(female)

pixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB Userpixiehickies HB User

Hey petal,

Sorry you're still having difficulties but (random query) are you having coffee from a machine or is it instant?

Fresh ground beans still have loads of oil. Just look at the residue on the top once you've poured it. You'll see a rainbow pattern like oil on a puddle. Try instant.

On the other hand, if you would like a gallbladder back, you can have mine!

No. Please. I insist!

Lol! I really hope you feel better soon

Pixie xx

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

What else are you eating or drinking? Remember - no fat for at least 3 or 4 weeks...

Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
(female)

lw422 HB User

I just had GB surgery a week ago. My surgeon and gastro doc both told me that there are no dietary restrictions AT ALL after the surgery, though I have avoided high-fat foods. I have had no problem with coffee.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
(female)

ninja89 HB User
Smile Re: Gallbladder Surgery-Coffee or no coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lw422 View Post
I just had GB surgery a week ago. My surgeon and gastro doc both told me that there are no dietary restrictions AT ALL after the surgery, though I have avoided high-fat foods. I have had no problem with coffee.
I seem to be the same 8 days after surgery. I still have low fat milk on my cereal and have been OK with 1 or 2 small squares of chocolate. Am I setting myself up for a fall or is there a chance I'm just doing well with the odd treat in with a very healthy diet?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
(female)

maggiemoo HB User

Different doctors have different recommendations regarding your diet. Mine said low fat for two weeks and also said you're going to know if you can tolerate fat. I just watched what I ate but wasn't fanatical about it. I'm lucky and haven't had any diarrhea, bloating or gas.

Reply Reply