It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

polydactylcat HB User
I really need help on what to eat to avoid gallbladder attacks. I am desperate.

Hello

I was diagnosed with gallstones ( a gallbladder full of them one large one blocking the duct out, and enlarge ducts to the liver).

But I also had a shadow on my panreas that they wanted to check out before gallbladder removal. Well they finally cleared me for surgery, and Ive been waiting for 5 weeks to have my gallbladder taken out.

And it looks like it will be another 3 at least before they can take it out. I have an appt with the surgeon on the 30th, and I hope he can fit me in soon. I have tried to get in sooner by calling other towns but everyone near me is on vacation or fully booked up and could not see me any sooner.

I am at a loss for what to eat. I read that appleasuce is ok then I read it wasnt. I read that tomoates (pasta sauce, etc) was ok then another site said to avoid it. Im so confused and I am getting really really depressed.

I have to avoid the attacks at all costs. I was getting them 1-2 times a week and taking vicodin for the pain, and living off ensure shakes. But the vicodin constipated me badly and I ended up with an impaction and it was a very alarming and painful and embarassing thing so I want to avoid the painkillers.

I get so hungry that I shake. Then I eat and I get bloated and abdominal pain. I tried eating simple things, liquid things, skipping breakfast- eating as little as possible, eating little and often, etc.

Can any one please tell me what they did, or if there is a site to tell me what do eat in the next three weeks? Should I try to get some excersise? Or rest?
I am off work until this all settles out so I mostly sit on my but all day.

I dont really know how to make sense of what is going to upset my gallbladder or not, just to avoid fats. Is fat the only thing that makes your gallbladder hurt? Because I really dont eat alot of fat at all.

Sorry for the lenght, thanks for reading and any help you can offer

Angie

Last edited by polydactylcat; 06-16-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add some info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I really need help on what to eat to avoid gallbladder attacks. I am desperate.

Well, the gb constricts to spew bile out that digests fat. So, no fat is best. You'd be surprised what has fat in it...are you eating cereal with milk? Salad dressing? Icing on a cake? Just plain baked fish (not salmon, escarole or other fatty fishes), baked chicken, turkey, (no ham or beef), veggies, whole wheat breads, etc. Yogurt is OK also. Jello. Fruit. All OK. No oils - even olive oil, fish oil, etc. Oil is oil in this case.

Now, my biggest concern is the stone blocking the duct. I would stay away from the applesauce deal because it is used to flush out your gb and you do not want to do that. If you've got lots of stones and one blocking the duct, the last thing you want is for the gb to try and expell them. We're talking major pain and probably emergency surgery.

Also, I'd try to work out or exercise however you do it as much as possible. I ran a lot of extra miles before I had mine out and I think it helped me recover quickly. In fact, I jogged two miles a week after having it out. I was sore but I did it.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
(male)

Chum HB User
Re: I really need help on what to eat to avoid gallbladder attacks. I am desperate.

The ABC's of soothing the gallbladder are Apples, Beets, and Cucumbers. Pear nectar is VERY effective as well. When I had my only severe attack I quickly hit the apple juice. The pectin and malic acid will soften the stones and lessen the pain so eat many apple products. Apples are safe, but dont try the apple juice/olive oil flush. Eat a fat-free diet and you should be ok. Pasta with fat-free tomato sauce is OK...for breakfast I ate oatmeal with stewed fruit which helps with digestion. Baked potato with nonfat cheese and salad is also a good meal. So close to surgery I would avoid all meats. Stick with a vegetarian diet.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

Maryinpa HB User

Poly,

I'm in the same boat.

Expecting to have my gb surgery at the end of the month, and I am terrified. How are you doing so well emotionally??

Wish I was more like you.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Avoid anything that is "RED"!!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
(male)

moonwater HB User

I can only tell you what worked for me. I have small gallstones 1-2mm in size
I made a list of internet gallstone diet foods
Then one day someone told me about the blood type diet book.
Between following the gallstone diet food list and the blood type diet list for my blood type (give a pint of blood to the blood donor bank and they will tell you your blood type), along with excercising and reducing my weight to correct weight for my height I have completely eliminated gallbladder attacks for almost 4 years.
Zero or very low fat foods and meats like turkey and tuna listed on the blood type diet list for my bloodtype as well as zero to 15g maximum per serving of sugar in any foods is pretty critical. Sugar addiction is probably the biggest reason for being overweight in america (especially high fructose corn syrup). Meats (protien) and vegetables should be focus of diet, and keep grains to a minimum.
Right now Im trying to find persons who have successfully done a liver gallbladder flush.
Hope this is helpful.

Closed Thread