It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

rita46 HB User
sludge in the gallbladder

I am a 46 years old and my doctor had a utra sound done on my liver and kidneys to see why I was having pain in my stomach. I was not feeling good and the pain hit me all at once. The ultra sound came back and my doctor told me I had sludge on the gallbladder and she ask me would i consider having surgery in having it removed. I want to know if I have this done will it make my stomach go down because it gets really big especial when I have my period each month. I want to feel better but I do not want to go through with the surgery if I do not have too.

Is this life threating if I do not have it done. And how bad is the surgery. I have a 12 year old son and I need to take care of him and I want to feel better. So having the surgery will it help me? I had three kids my daughter is 25 years old and my son is 20 and a half years of age. As you can see I waited a while before I had my children but really waited when I had my last child now 12. I went back to my weight after having my children and I never had a stomach, now my stomach is standing out like i am having another baby, will this surgery help with making my stomach flat again.

I had cystic on my ovaries and i still have pain on my right side. Will this be a problem if I decide to have surgery on my gall bladder? I just want to be heathly, please let me know if I should have surgery on my gallbladder to have the sludge removed? Also I have a high inhernal with acid reflux sorry for my spelling will this surgery help cure me from acid reflux?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: sludge in the gallbladder

"Sludge" is microcrystals that form in the gallbladder which will eventually become gallstones. Gallbladder problems can lead to nausea, bloating, diarrhea, pale stools, pain in the ribs, shoulder and back, etc.

Most people if they live long enough will develop gallstones, some don't have noticeable symptoms. It also tends to run in families.

While you may pass sludge or small stones, if you are prone to them, you will develop more over time. There is no real cure. There are drugs like ursodiol and actigall that can help some patients. The key in my mind is the pain level, if the pain and discomfort are too high, then it's time to consider surgery. If you develop stones large enough to get stuck in the ducts, it is very painful and requires emergency surgery.

The laproscopic surgery is relatively low risk. Whether it makes your stomach flat again in uncertain. There are some folks, who continue to have problems after surgery.

Closed Thread