It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

starling80 HB User
Anal Swelling or Hemorrhoid after GallBladder Surgery?

I've had occasional, fairly mild hemorrhoids since officially reaching overweight status 10 years ago (I'm working it off now...lost 50 lbs in last 4 months). Exactly one week ago, I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. Took Vicodin and then Tylenol for the first 4 days post-op and started eating solid foods on the first day after surgery. Bowel movements have been regular (for me) at 3-5 times per week and soft. Last one 2 days ago was actually pretty well-formed. Haven't seen blood in the stool in several weeks as my "normal" hemerrhoids are currently

Starting yesterday, I noticed a slight swelling on the right side of my anus (external) which didn't really hurt, but started itching a little by bed time. This morning, it felt quite a bid larger and upon visual examination (mirror and flashlight, LOL) it looks like it's between pea and marble size and pulls back inside slightly when I contract my anal muscles. Sitting in an easy chair eventually becomes uncomfortable, though not necessarily painful.

Is this likely a side effect of the surgery? I can't really make a logical correlation to surgery, but I'm not sure what else would cause this...it's certainly never happened to me before. Should I try treating it with witchhazel and glycerin or ice and see if it goes away in a few days? Get it checked asap? It doesn't feel like an urgent care sort of thing, but I don't want to let it go too far before getting it checked, either!

Thanks for any information or experience that any of you can share.

Last edited by starling80; 07-23-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
(male)

Lewis15889 HB User
Re: Anal Swelling or Hemorrhoid after GallBladder Surgery?

Hi I currently have something very similar. Did you manage to find out what your problem was and did you manage to cure it. Thankyou lewis.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
(male)

starling80 HB User
Re: Anal Swelling or Hemorrhoid after GallBladder Surgery?

I'm sorry, I never did figure out exactly what was going on. It went away over the next 2 weeks with what I'll call normal hemorrhoidal care of wiping/cleaning with wet toilet paper rather than dry after a BM, applying witchhazel after BMs and after my morning shower and making sure I drank lots of water and got plenty of fiber in my diet.

Never did really did bleed and, based on other things I read while trying to figure it out, it appears to have been a hemorrhoid brought on by stress, medication and diet due to the chronic gallbladder issue and subsequent surgery. Gallbladder's gone, surgery done, new way of eating maintained, more weight loss and...wa la...the hemorrhoid has stayed gone for two years!

Good luck!

Last edited by starling80; 07-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Closed Thread