It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Having no gallbladder and antibiotics don't mix

I have no gallbladder and I was always told by my doctor that whenever you have to be on antibiotic your stomach and bowels will go crazy and you might get a upset stomach with diarrehea. Well I got a UTI and they put me on antibiotics yesterday - I had to go to urgent care because my doctor didn't have any appointments. So I told this doctor I don't have a gallbladder and the antibiotics might make me sick to my stomach. I was fine last night but this morning when I woke I was running to the bathroom multiple times and then I felt weak at the knees. I was feeling panic thinking the worse. My stomach is doing back flips. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: Having no gallbladder and antibiotics don't mix

I've never heard of that before. Antibiotics can make a lot of people sick though, if not taken with food, etc.

I've been on antibiotics several times since my GB was removed 2 years ago haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm with ZoeGirl on this one. What antibiotic are you on and are you eating when you take it? VERY important that you do that.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

levaquin - I woke this morning and thought I was going to die. I am also on Phenazopyridine that turns your urine yellow. So I off to the doctors again. I am full of gas and it is causing so much havoc in my system right now. My anxiety has kicked in full swing. So this is not good.

I really wish I knew what causes all this problems.

Last edited by gigi11; 08-21-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Found out the antibiotics causes dizziness, haluzations, diarreahea and more. So he gave me something else hope this works.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, that's a pretty notorious one. Am surprised they gave it to you for a UTI...it's usually used for upper respiratory infections.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Titchou - can you believe the stupid doctor gave it to me and my doc was mad. I went to a urgent care yesterday and I told the doctor that I cannot take certain antibiotics because of my gallbladder condition. So I had to see my doctor today and he said he was surprised he put me on that antibiotic.

Last winter I was put on Avelox for walking pneumonia and it gave me the same feeling but it turns out that levaquin is in the same family as Avelox. Both are very strong antibiotics which has lots of side effects. They are both used for sinus infections and other upper respirtory infections. Levaquin is also used for UTI's. My doctor put me on SMZ/TMP tablets.

I tell you I thought I was dying this morning. I was so dizzy. I was shacking in the knees. Full of gas.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Gigi, I am so sorry for you. A few years back I was put on levequin for the same reason you're on it. When I searched the drug out what I read is that dr's give too high a dosage and that a lower dosage works just as well without repurcussions. My dr gave me 500 mg but I took it upon myself to take 250 mg and I survived well and got rid of the infection. Just my thought on the subject. Maybe it could help you too.

Closed Thread