It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
(female)

iluvnf HB User
Smile Terrible gas pain long after removal of gallbladder!

Hi,

I am a 39 year old female and had my gallbladder removed 2 months ago which seems like two years ago now!! I was great the first month and healed extremely quickly with just the normal, expected things going on imed. after such as the expected bloating and a little scar tissue soreness. BUT NOW, I am awakened some nights (usually early morning around 4am) with awful pain in my abdomin....pretty much the same spot I used to have the Gallbladder attacks! Let me tell you...it doesn't usually last long but it is worst than the old gallbladder attacks!! I asked my surgeon about it and he just looked at me like I had three heads and told me to bring it up with my family doctor as he assured me it didn't have anything to do with my gallbladder removal! YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I see that lots of people have had similiar experiences and my questions are as follows: will this go away????? Has anyone been suffering like this for a year or more?? Has anyone out there received any help for this from their doctor and if so "Did it work?"

Sincerely
Debra

Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

rozbel HB User
Re: Terrible gas pain long after removal of gallbladder!

i too have been experiencing the same thing. pain in the same spot i had the gb attacks, excrutiatingly painful, usualy early in the morning but not exclusively and they don't last long. i have been having these pains now for getting on for 2 years. i have had a colonoscopy, blood tests, ultrasound, ct scan, and mrcp all normal. 5 weeks ago i had a laparoscopy done to divide adhesions. i was pain free for 3 weeks and 3 days. really thought it had worked but am now back to square 1. i have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in october and hopefully she will continue to try and get to the borrom of whats causing the pain. if i ever get an answer i'll be sure to post it on here. hope u manage to find a doctor to take u seriously as i know how draining it is to be woken up in pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

karate_mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozbel View Post
i too have been experiencing the same thing. pain in the same spot i had the gb attacks, excrutiatingly painful, usualy early in the morning but not exclusively and they don't last long. i have been having these pains now for getting on for 2 years. i have had a colonoscopy, blood tests, ultrasound, ct scan, and mrcp all normal. 5 weeks ago i had a laparoscopy done to divide adhesions. i was pain free for 3 weeks and 3 days. really thought it had worked but am now back to square 1. i have a follow up appointment with the surgeon in october and hopefully she will continue to try and get to the borrom of whats causing the pain. if i ever get an answer i'll be sure to post it on here. hope u manage to find a doctor to take u seriously as i know how draining it is to be woken up in pain.
A girl at my estheticians office told me she had the same problem, and her doc told her to take Phyzam. Its over the counter for gas.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
(female)

rozbel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate_mom View Post
A girl at my estheticians office told me she had the same problem, and her doc told her to take Phyzam. Its over the counter for gas.
thankyou for ur suggestion, but have already tried medication to no avail. these pains r nothing like the pain u get from gas.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
(female)

notes21 HB User

Like you I started having similar if not worse pain a few months after my gallbladder was removed. My gastro initially thought adhesions, but the surgeon said not possible (odd, since they had to cut my gallbladder out from the adhesions encasing it from a surgery as a baby). My gastro dr & I went through so many scenarios & tests & medicines . I even went to mayo & was told I just had slow motility. Finally, it came down to the fact that it was very specific areas of pain that no tests showed a problem with so it must be adhesions that were also managing to slow intestines & stomach emptying. This process took about a year & a half, and there were times I did not think I could stand it. My gastro does not want to do surgery unless medically necessary b/c more adhesions are almost guaranteed again.

He kinda joked/kind of serious mentioned the idea of acupuncture. I haven't tried that, but the number one thing that has helped me is massage on my stomach area. It is painful, but at the same time I can tell a difference after a session. I also go to a chiropractor for headaches, & they do a protocol on my stomach area as well. I do take magnesium & miralax because it is obvious that the adhesions affect my motility. I also avoid pain killers if at all possible b/c they were slowing my motility down even more & causing more pain....it was a bizarre cycle. So a moist heating pad has also become a close companion.

Hope you are able to figure your issue out.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
(female)

LuvDogs2 HB User

Hi everyone,
I did a search for debilitating gas after gallbladder surgery, (because my world has fallen apart) and discovered this board. I am so sorry that this is happening to people other than me. It is terrible. I have no answers from my doctors, and I can relate to everything people have said on here. I was told to take prednisone for pain, which has not helped me. I fear almost every meal I eat now because I will blow up like a helium balloon, and I will burp and belch for days and days. I get some relief to lie on my stomach or left side. I have identified foods that just flat-out kill me, like veggies, fruits, nuts, fiber and foods I can get by on, like white bread, potatoes, rice, even chicken. But I can't live on that I know. My symptoms began a few months after surgery, when I would throw up (after eating corn or a fiber bar), and I just thought I had a virus, but it has become so bad now that I dread every mealtime. If you can help me in any way, please do so and if I get info that can help you, I will immediately post. One GI told me to walk off the gas. How ridiculous is that as I can't even walk at these times. Thank all of you for listening to me.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
(female)

jean59 HB User

I'm 11 days post op - laparoscopic colecystectomy. I did great the first week, then early morning day 8 the horrbile pain started just below my breastbone. It lasted for over an hour and then came again an hour after that. I drank hot tea, put hot bag on my stomach and finally it went away. Day 9 - started at 4 am. I took GasX, drank hot tea and used hot bag again and it went away in about 15 minutes. Same thing 2 hours later. Whole thing repeated Day 10. I went to see my surgeon. He could only suggest that small stones were coming down the bile duct from the liver. I asked why it would happen only every morning and could it have anything to do with my stomach being empty. He just shrugged. So, I went to the pharmacy and asked for suggestions - Maalox Extra Strength with Antigas. She suggested I take some before I went to bed. Acting on my empty stomach theory, I also had a couple of crackers and cheese just before I went to bed. When I woke up at 2:30AM (no pains) I had another spoon of Maalox and a couple more crackers and cheese. This morning there were no pains at all. I thnk I'll keep up this routine for a few more days at least, and then maybe try just the crackers or just the maalox.

Last edited by jean59; 10-27-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: missed something

Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDogs2 View Post
Hi everyone,
I did a search for debilitating gas after gallbladder surgery, (because my world has fallen apart) and discovered this board. I am so sorry that this is happening to people other than me. It is terrible. I have no answers from my doctors, and I can relate to everything people have said on here. I was told to take prednisone for pain, which has not helped me. I fear almost every meal I eat now because I will blow up like a helium balloon, and I will burp and belch for days and days. I get some relief to lie on my stomach or left side. I have identified foods that just flat-out kill me, like veggies, fruits, nuts, fiber and foods I can get by on, like white bread, potatoes, rice, even chicken. But I can't live on that I know. My symptoms began a few months after surgery, when I would throw up (after eating corn or a fiber bar), and I just thought I had a virus, but it has become so bad now that I dread every mealtime. If you can help me in any way, please do so and if I get info that can help you, I will immediately post. One GI told me to walk off the gas. How ridiculous is that as I can't even walk at these times. Thank all of you for listening to me.

Wow you sound like me but I don't have vomitting. I can't eat hardly anything with no gallbladder. I blow up and have belching. My gasterolist said i swallow too much air.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

How about beano?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
(female)

notes21 HB User

Just thought I'd do an update. I have recently started taking bile salts (I take cholacol), a-f betafood, and a digestive enzyme, due to some work with my chiropractor. I know they aren't the traditional medical route, but as my regular doctor said "its worth a shot, we haven't found anything else that works". I have found things from several naturapaths that say anyone without a gallbladder should always take bile salts with food as we don't put out enough bile at the time of digestion without the gallbladder there to store it anymore.

It's been about 3 weeks, & I do seem to feel a difference & feel generally better. Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll know whether its just the temporary body shock or if its really making everything better. After several years of intense pain directly in the gallbladder area, I'm ready for something to work.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

You are right about the SPHINCTER OF ODI. I had the same problem and found out how to make it go away on my own. I immediately eat something, anything, and this keeps that muscle from going into spasm. I learned what the problem was all on my own with research, and it only happens after a persons gallbladder is removed. I also had my gallbladder out years ago and ended up back in the ER with the same pains from my original attack, that came in waves, all around my front and into my back. I was given pain med., checked over and told to see my regular doc. He did tests, found nothing of course, and told me to stay away from fats, dairy etc., and put me on a strong muscle relaxer for when the pains came. He also questioned me extensively about the tylenol 3 and when I took it, how much, did I eat with it etc. Apparently, a person can start having problems taking this only after having their gallbladder out, because I had no problem with it before this. Well this attack happened to come on after I took tylenol 3 so I thought this was the culprit. I did all that, stayed away from all those foods and the tylenol 3 and the pains still came on with force whenever they felt like it. I have since learned ( only through alot of searching on the internet ) that when you have your gallbladder out, that tylenol 3 can start causing you problems. In the meantime I do still get the pains occasionally, and immediately eat something, please try this, it prevents that muscle from going into spasm, which is where the pain is coming from. Good luck to you

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I also forgot to say that I also had alot of digestion problems after I had my gallbladder out and was not told to stay away from certain foods untill I ended up back in the ER. It takes your body quite awhile to get used to not having your gallbladder, so I was told to avoid all dairy, animal fat, and spices for awhile. I did, lost alot of weight, and had less problems with gas and digestion. Eventually you can start adding back in normal food slowly. I did get back to feeling normal but it did takes months. I do still occasionally get the pain around my back and eat something quickly, that is the only problem I still have but its better than taking that strong muscle relaxer the doc gave me to put under my tongue that would almost knock me out.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey443 View Post
I also forgot to say that I also had alot of digestion problems after I had my gallbladder out and was not told to stay away from certain foods untill I ended up back in the ER. It takes your body quite awhile to get used to not having your gallbladder, so I was told to avoid all dairy, animal fat, and spices for awhile. I did, lost alot of weight, and had less problems with gas and digestion. Eventually you can start adding back in normal food slowly. I did get back to feeling normal but it did takes months. I do still occasionally get the pain around my back and eat something quickly, that is the only problem I still have but its better than taking that strong muscle relaxer the doc gave me to put under my tongue that would almost knock me out.

It has been a year for me - I was doing good the first few months after my surgery but then I started to get nausea, belching, indigestion and dirreahea. I started welchol for the dirreahea but I still have the belching and nausea. I started to see a acupuncturist and that helped a great deal but when I stopped seeing her my pain game back. I noticed when anxiety and stress hit me is when it came back. It is so weird. One day I can eat something and another day I will eat the same thing but it will bother me that day. I have every test imaginable and the doctors think it is all in my head.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yea, it didnt occur to the doctor to tell me to cut certain things out of my diet for awhile after my surgery, so I did have all sorts of symptoms at first, gas, diarrhea, bloating. I had to find this out only after ending up in the ER with what looked like another gallbladder attack, even though I had no gallbladder anymore. The pains were as bad as and in the same area as the original attack, yet they found nothing. This is when they suggested I change my diet. This helped with my digestion and diarrhea, but the sphincter of odi problem I found on my own through research on the internet, because this pain came on about once a week and seemed to have nothing to do with what I ate, and apparently this can come on after gallbladder surgery, yet is rare?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
(female)

NotorDJP HB User

I had my GB out in 2005 and if I eat certain things I get terrible gas pain. For the first year after I had mine out I couldn't drink anything carbonated. Are you drinking carbonated beverages? Some people just can't handle them after GB surgery due to the amount of gas just eating produces.

What are you eating? I know if I eat too much fiber (like Kashi Cereal or Fiber one) I get terrible gas pain. Pick and choose your gassy foods too. If you want to eat beans, don't drink pop. If you want cabbage, don't eat beans. If you are still having trouble, you need to talk to your doctor and see if any scans can be done to make sure you don't still have a stone or narrowing of your bile duct.

Closed Thread