It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

TraceyCrampton HB User
Not sure if I should have my Gallbladder removed

I would love to hear from people who have already had their gallbladder removed as Im not sure what to do.

I have recently found out that I have a gallstone the size of a golfball. I was admitted to hospital two weeks before xmas with excruciating pains in my right side, however it would come and go and mainly came back when I put pressure on my right foot when walking, however Im not nausious, but I do feel down and very sluggish, I havent as yet related any food to the attacks that I have, the pain just comes and goes as it pleases. The doc confirmed the gallstone and advised that I should have this removed. I now have an op on 6th Jan, however Im not sure if I should go ahead with this as I have heard some stories and read articles which say that it could be worse taking the gallbladder out than actually keeping it in and trying to dissolve the stones. My doctor never gave me any advice or what to expect after the operation so Im very concerned about going through with this now. Ive even read that some people have worse symptoms once it is removed and that the pain does not go away.

I see that a few people on here have had their gallbladder removed, are any of you having any side effects? I do know that I have to watch what I eat from now on and I have also heard that there is a concoction that you can take to 'flush' out the stone, instead of having the operation, however im worried that my stone might be too big and may get stuck.

Any advice would be appreciated as surgery should be the last option.

Thank

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Not sure if I should have my Gallbladder removed

A stone that large is a grave concern. You are correct about it being very problematic to disolve one that large and not have it get stuck - which would mean emergency surgery at best or a ruptured gb at worst. I can only tell you my experience and those of my friends who have had theirs removed. Other than people on this board who have had issues afterward, I don't personally know anyone who didn't have an excellent outcome from this procedure. Keep in mind that people who don't have a problem afterwards generally have no need to come looking for assistance here.

I had mine out 5 years ago....very simple surgery as they just poke 3-4 holes in you and you are not usually in the hospital overnight. I arrived at 5 AM. They knocked me out in the surgery suite at 6:55 AM. At 7:35 AM I was awake in the recovery room. The procedure takes only about 15-20 minutes. After becoming fully awake, urinating and eating some crackers and sprite, I was sent home about 9:30. I was in my bed asleep by 10 AM.

I slept off and on most of the day. The next day I took a shower and stayed on the sofa most of the time. On the 3rd day, I went to work for 1/2 day. Came home at lunch and napped on the sofa. After that, I worked full time. I jogged 2 miles one week after the surgery. Got my one non-disolving stitch removed the next day and that was that with the doctor. I ate pretty fat free for about a month - except for one venture to a mexican place because I was craving it sooooooo much! That experience told me I needed to not do it again for a while! Good thing I got take out so I could make the mad dash to the rest room.

Overall it was pretty simple and straightforward. I have not had any problems since then. I sometimes have what we all call "phantom" pains but it's not really much more than a quick jab where the gb was and it's gone...very fleeting and minor. Otherwise, my life and digestion have been normal. I hope the very same for you. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

babyblues3 HB User

I had my gallbladder out this past Nov. I did not have the pain in the right side under my ribs.Mine was a constant pain below my ribs in the center of my stomach.I also had some back pain.But anyway I'm very happy with my outcome I am pain free. I was only out of work for 10 days.I guess that's a long time but that is because I work full time on my feet doing a lot of lifting.I had the 4 puncture holes which have healed up great.My surgery was at about 9:30 am I didnt get home until after 6:00pm only because I couldn't Pee..LOL So I have no complaints.I hope if you go thru with the surgery your outcome is the same.Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
(female)

fullmoonsways33 HB User

Had my gall bladder removed Dec 3rd. Sounds like you have an awful doctor. Everything should have been explained to you thoroughly before having a surgery like this. I would not let that doctor touch me. A gall stone that big is dangerous and can't be removed by ultrasound or other methods used for smaller ones. When they took mine out it was completely full of stones. BTW most common reason for gall stones is starving yourself. I tend to forget to eat or don't really want to. Lost a lot of weight recently but have had this pain in side under rib for 20 yrs. Just finally ended up in hospital with an attack that was HORRIBLE!

Please get a second opinion and make sure you get a doctor that explains EVERYTHING to you about surgery. I have only had minor reactions to some foods but seem to be subsiding as the weeks go by. Not sure but think it was miracle whip on my sandwichs, wierd. I eat pretty healthy anyways so foods haven't been too much of a problem so far. My doctor was amazing and so was the hospital and staff. Best experience in a surgery ever! Some foods do go right through me though, still figuring that out but i'm not taking my probiotics right now either (help tremendously with digesation), i'm pretty sure once back on them will help.

Won't go into my recovery specifics because each person is so different. I wish you best of luck and do more research wbmddotcom is a great site for information.

Good Luck! Moon

Closed Thread