It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

kelliwk HB User
Question hiatal hernia or gall bladder?

Hi

Since about june 2008 I have been having "attacks".. there is a lot of pressure in the top of my stomach/bottom of my chest. Sometimes it causes so much pain that I can't breathe.. I've had about 10 or 11 of these, spread out. They last anywhere from 20 minutes to to worst which was 8 hours.

The pain subsides a little depending on what position I am in; usually I need to be in a seated, slightly leaned forward position for it to ease off. If I change positions or try to lay down, it almost feels like I'm spreading poison through my body and I end up being dizzy with the need to vomit. (This dizzyness has only happened the last two times, but the positon part holds true for every time.) I have found that once I do vomit, the pain usually goes away. If it doesn't happen then (as I sometimes have a hard time making myself do this) it happens when I just move a certain way. Once I stood up straight, another time I twisted my abdomen to get out of bed.. it is very random. Most of the time there is a shooting pain through my right shoulder blade.. and last night I experienced the pain move to my back for the first time (same area, just on the opposite side of my body)

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia when I was 12 (in 2000).. I don't remember having problems like this, thoguh. It was mainly nausea, and I was prescribed prevacid.. I didn't take it long. I never had problems again until june of 2008. I finally went to the doctor in august 2009 (I know, I know) and mentioned the hiatal hernia. The doctor said it very well may be it, and asked if id gained weight recently.. then it hit me that I had. My mother died at the end of 2007 and over the next 6 months I gained 50lbs due to depression.

I hadn't had an attack since August.. I started taking prevacid again, watched what I ate (and how much) and lost about 30lbs. Then last noght it happened again and I feel like I'm back at square one, after I thought it was under control

I have been reading posts related to both hiatal hernias and gall bladder issues and seem to have symptoms of both. When I bring it up to friends they say it sounds like my gall bladder (which I have a family history of having bad ones) but my dad is fairly convinced it is my hiatal hernia coming out of hibernation. I just know that this scares me. I didn't get an upper GI the last time I went to the doctor, he said he wanted to try the prevacid and see what happens, then if I have more problems to come back and we would do further testing.

I am terrified to find out what it is (my mom had very many health problems and I'm scared of ending up like that) but I also just want to get it fixed. I'll probably go back to him on Monday but I just wanted opinions.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading, and any advice you may have

Last edited by kelliwk; 01-09-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
(female)

kelliwk HB User
Re: hiatal hernia or gall bladder?

I forgot to add that the last 3 times this has happened, stress was a big factor. I also haven't been eating that great lately so I'm sure that's partly what triggered last night's attack (big greasy burger = bad idea)

Last edited by kelliwk; 01-09-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

her70cuda HB User

I'd see a DR. and get a diagnosis. I was having upset stomach and random nausea for a couple of months before these "attacks" started. They would last anywhere from 5 minutes for the first to a couple of hours. I had 6 in total and remember what set off the last few. A turkey burger, choc chip cookie dough, and nuts, each time fatty food. My gallbladder acts up almost exactly 2 hours after I eat anything solid now. I am waiting for surgery now and have gotten bad enough that I can't tolerate much at all. I had broth and juice today. Pancreatitis is a risk with gallstones if that is your issue. Whatever it is, get yourself checked out so you can feel better.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
(female)

rozbel HB User

the test for gall stones is a simple ultrasound. completely non invasive and it will show up if u have gall stones. btw the symptoms u describe do sound like gall bladder. is there any way u can get the ultrasound done then you'd know for sure if stones r the culprit.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
(female)

kelliwk HB User

So I ended up in the ER last Friday night. Turns out I have gallstones and pancreatitis, but no hiatal hernia. My lipase levels were 853 (normal range is 80-190). I am having surgery in the morning to remove my gallbladder. I am scared but at least my problem will be solved. I just hope my pancreas isn't too damaged.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
(female)

her70cuda HB User

I had surgery on the 13th of this month. Make sure you have help for a few days after you get home. No heavy lifting. Eat LOW fat diet after surgery. Beware of gassy veggies for a while. Come back and let us know how everything goes and how you are feeling.

I was so glad, the Anesth ordered something to relax and the nurse gave it to me via IV in the pre- op and I never remember leaving that room and I was back in there waking up.

I hope everything goes great for you and you feel better soon!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
(female)

kelliwk HB User

I am successfully gallbladder-less. They did the regular laparoscopic deal with an IOC to see if there was a blockage, and if there had been one, I would've had another procedure today (or been cut wide open). Luckily neither of those happened and it went smoothly. Once they gave me the Versed in pre-op I was good to go. All I remember hearing in OR is "this is going to sting a little.." and then I was waking up.

So far the top three incisions are barely sore anymore; the bellybutton one is another story. also the back/shoulder pain from the gas is putting a damper on my mood. how long did it take for your back pain to go away?

I think the worst part is the fact that I am still scared to eat. I haven't gotten out of that mindset yet. After 2 years its gonna take some getting used to.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
(female)

her70cuda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliwk View Post
I am successfully gallbladder-less. They did the regular laparoscopic deal with an IOC to see if there was a blockage, and if there had been one, I would've had another procedure today (or been cut wide open). Luckily neither of those happened and it went smoothly. Once they gave me the Versed in pre-op I was good to go. All I remember hearing in OR is "this is going to sting a little.." and then I was waking up.

So far the top three incisions are barely sore anymore; the bellybutton one is another story. also the back/shoulder pain from the gas is putting a damper on my mood. how long did it take for your back pain to go away?

I think the worst part is the fact that I am still scared to eat. I haven't gotten out of that mindset yet. After 2 years its gonna take some getting used to.

I never had any backpain from the gas. I am however still having pain under the ribs especially under the incision sites, all but the bellybutton which is doing ok. I have a hard time getting comfy at night to sleep and driving is still painful on the r-side but I do it.

Eating is finally getting a little better for me now at almost 3 weeks post. I still don't have a lot of energy though.

Glad to hear you got through everything ok!! Now I hope healing comes swiftly

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
(female)

kelliwk HB User

Is it normal to have a gassy or full feeling right underneath your breastbone? Its the same place the pain was in when I had attacks. It almost feels like my food gets "stuck" there. Its really uncomfortable

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
(female)

her70cuda HB User

All I know is I still have the fullness and slight pain under my rib which is where I had it before. Really uncomfortable.

Did they tell you to eat low fat?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
(female)

kelliwk HB User

The surgeon basically said I could eat whatever I want, short of a greasy burger and fries. I'm still scared to eat, though!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
(female)

her70cuda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliwk View Post
The surgeon basically said I could eat whatever I want, short of a greasy burger and fries. I'm still scared to eat, though!
Oh man I hear you. I've been having problems with fatty foods or gassy veggies and I did a scary thing. I ate half an avo just a few minutes ago and THEN looked up the fat content am and freaking out. Last night I spent quite a time up and uncomfortable because I was bloated. I'm scared to death here that this is going to mess up my middle.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
(female)

kelliwk HB User

Right there with you.. I've been checking everything for fat content and not eating over 1 or 2 grams per serving! I got into the habit of being scared after the next to last attack, then once I got on the clear liquid diet I got used to that.. now I'm honestly terrified of food. It's not good I bit the bullet and ate a baked potato with lowfat butter and cheese.. and boy am I nauseous. I think I'll stick to cereal and skim milk.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
(female)

kelliwk HB User

Ps - get some gas ex. Even if its not actually helping that bloated feeling, its helps me psychologically, lol.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
(female)

her70cuda HB User

Potatoes are one thing I have a hard time with because they bloat me up bad. I lived through that avo last night! I did bloat for a while a little but it went down by bedtime. Thank God because I have really been missing some foods. I had cooked a turkey the toher day so last night we had turkey taco type food. I had soft corn tortillas with fat free cheddar, turkey meat, green sauce, FF sour cream and avo. For desert I had SF strawberry jello with FF whipped topping.

Yeah I've been thinking about getting something for gas to see if it helped. I used to have problems and took more thna a bit of mylanta anti gas.

Closed Thread