It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
(male)

Silversteve HB User
Gallbladder removed but we didn't know!

I have an unusual situation with a long history so I'll try to keep it short.
About 6 years ago my mother developed a series of cysts on her liver. Each time one was operated on another appeared so there were three operations in all, culminating in a large part of the liver being removed. My mother has been in constant pain ever since the most recent operation. She has had further operations for hernias and a hysterectomy, but the pain remains.
The pain is debilitating, getting worse and the GP and consultant seem unable to solve the problem. Howver, she finally went for another ultrasound scan this week and the technician mentioned that he couldn't see a gallbladder.
My mother mentioned this to her GP today, and he pulled out a letter from the consultant surgeon from years ago saying they had removed the gallbladder - there was nothing wrong with it, but they had done so many operations in that area they took it out because they didn't want to have to open that area in the future.
Problem is we never knew, my mother was never told and now her GP has mentioned that she shouldn't have too much fat in her diet. A bit late, and possibly covering his back a little.
Please can anyone tell me
1) Can they take away organs from your body without permission and not inform you they have done so?
2) What would be potential side effects of doing this? She has a constant pain on the right side, lots of gurgling noises, heartburn and some days she can hardly move. She hasn't been out of the house alone for over two years because of this.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread