It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

her70cuda HB User
Omega 3 after gallbladder removal??

I remember reading at some time that omega 3 supplements may be good for a person after they have gallbladder removal and that it is in particular good for the liver. I can't find the information now so I am wondering if anyone else has heard anything of the nature? The Dr. said to go ahead and take it but didn't have much else to say so I go to the people to see if they know. I know most of us have studies supplements a lot more than some of our health care providers seem to.

I'm already taking a low dose multi so I'm thinking of going ahead and adding the omega. I just wanted some thoughts first.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: Omega 3 after gallbladder removal??

Omega 3's are necessary to help block cholesterol formation in the bile. Lecithin is important and not expensive to help the liver do it's job. There is more stress on the liver now that the GB is not holding up it's end of the job. I also take a probiotic for the gut. The omega 3 I take is Krill oil. Research the best krill oil supplements and don't be stingy on this one. I also take bile salts to aid further in digestion. That right now other than the healing pains and the other unknown mentioned on another thread are my main issues.
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

TXChica70 HB User

Is it safe to take omega 3 after gall bladder surgery?

By: Joan O’Keefe

Q: Is it safe to take fish oil or omega-3 if you’ve had your gall bladder removed?

A: The gall bladder helps with the digestion of fats. The organ contracts when the body consumes fat. Following gall bladder removal, patients are often told to be careful of overloading on fat. This means that they should avoid consuming fried foods and other high-fat foods. If the patient is on a NO fat diet (not just fat-restricted, but NO fat), meaning he/she cannot tolerate fat at all – cannot tolerate meats, nuts, olive oil, avocado, cheese, fish, etc.- then the patient may have to avoid fish oils. However, NO fat diets are rare. Restricted and very low fat diets are more common and because omega-3 fish oil softgels contain such small amounts of fat, they should be safe. The key is to start with small doses. Take just one small omega-3 fish oil softgel per day. If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop. If you’re tolerating the fish oil, gradually add more until you reach your recommended dose. I wouldn’t recommend starting with liquid fish oils, but you should be fine with small softgels.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
(male)

Jason Ramirez HB User

The gall bladder stores bile which is needed to digest fats. But your liver produces the bile and will continue to do so whenever you intake fats. However, you would need to be careful not to overstress the liver with a high fat diet. I’m sure your doctor has already told you. Fish oil supplements are good to include in your diet since omega 3s benefit health in a number of ways. If you’re in doubt, ask your doctor about taking fish oil supplements. Without a gall bladder, your liver comes under more stress so you may also want to consider and consult with your doctor about taking a nutritional supplement like Liverol. I purchase Triple Strength Omega 3 and Liverol from the same company – so it’s easy to get a regular, quality supply.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

her70cuda HB User

Thank you guys for the great information!! I do have liquid fish oil though in a glass bottle, I have issues swallowing pills so soft gels are not an option. I can ration out and start small with the fish oil though and see how that goes. I did eat half an avo before chekcing out the fat content and lived through it although other fatty foods I don't tolerate well. I'll give it a shot and hope it goes well.

It's a double edged sword because our bodies need fats too if we are to be healthy. So low fat sure but we need fish oils and healthy veg oils just to absorb vitamins and to have properly functioning levels of hormones.

Closed Thread