It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
(male)

molly123456 HB User
gall bladder problems - polyps?

anyone out there have gallbladder polpys, the ultrasound shows multiple. love how doctors are vague. can they cause tenderness to right upper side. pain all day. lots of burping and bloatiness. only relief is laying down. doc ordering cat scan with barium nummie drink. doc believes it muscular. i've had this since january.
help would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: gall bladder problems - polyps?

While ultrasound's are are helpful diagnostic tools, sometimes the results are less than exact. When I had an ultrasound they said it appeared that there were several polyps, however they could also be gallstones pressed against the wall of the gallbladder. The ultrasound has a hard time detecting gallbladder "sludge", small microcrystals that go on to form stones.

The concern about polyps, growths on the wall of the gallbladder, is that in a few cases they can lead to gallbladder cancer. Gallbladder cancer is fairly rare. From what I read if the polyp is over 1 cm then they may recommend gallbladder removal as a precaution. Under 1 cm they will monitor, if you have no other symptoms.

It sounds like you may have a gallbladder that has sludge or is inflamed. Common gallbladder symptoms include bloating, nausea, burping, passing gas, diarrhea, URQ pain, abdominal noises, pain under the ribs, pain in the back, pain in the shoulder, pale colored stool, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
(male)

molly123456 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector167 View Post
While ultrasound's are are helpful diagnostic tools, sometimes the results are less than exact. When I had an ultrasound they said it appeared that there were several polyps, however they could also be gallstones pressed against the wall of the gallbladder. The ultrasound has a hard time detecting gallbladder "sludge", small microcrystals that go on to form stones.

The concern about polyps, growths on the wall of the gallbladder, is that in a few cases they can lead to gallbladder cancer. Gallbladder cancer is fairly rare. From what I read if the polyp is over 1 cm then they may recommend gallbladder removal as a precaution. Under 1 cm they will monitor, if you have no other symptoms.

It sounds like you may have a gallbladder that has sludge or is inflamed. Common gallbladder symptoms include bloating, nausea, burping, passing gas, diarrhea, URQ pain, abdominal noises, pain under the ribs, pain in the back, pain in the shoulder, pale colored stool, etc.
thank you for replying - this has been a nightmare and trying to convince my doctor this is gallbladder has been a huge hurdle. he thinks its muscular skeltal.
sludge, what is sludge. the stuff that turns to stones? polyps are what the ultrasound stated, multiple polyps. now they've ordered me a barium (yummie) catscan. have any idea how fast polyps grow? any added material is appreciated. did you suffer this too?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

While they don't cause the pain stones can, polyps can cause some as the gb constricts to spew the bile. That's where the pain come from - spiney stones or polyps when contracting or a low functioning gb that can't contract as it needs to.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
(male)

molly123456 HB User

have you ever had gb problems? thank you for responding. do you know how long stones take to form? and or do polyps grow fast? my ultrasound stated multiple and it feels like theres a forest of them in there. my doctor says that its common for polyps to be there. hes ordered a barium cat scan. yummie.
any more comments are appreciated.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, I had stones and had mine removed 5 years ago. No problems. I had a very unremarkable recovery. In fact, I jogged 2 miles a week after having mine out. I don't know how long it takes for stones to form...I think it varies depending on the person and their diet. Same for polyps...don't really know. Hope you get some relief.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Had an ultrasound which showed I had GB polyps and the wall was inflammed which I thought was the cause of the nausea, pain and indigestion I had. Had hida scan which came back normally (surprisingly). Doc didn't know whether to remove anyways because of the inflammation and symptoms and warned me that it may not solve my problems. Had it removed years ago laparoscopically and still have issues with nausea and indigestion, but the pain I had is gone.

Closed Thread