It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

I have posted many times on this board about my problems after getting my gallbladder removed. I still have no answers. I am going to a liver specialist on May 7th and then a SOD Doctor afterwards.

This is what I go through on a daily or monthly basis and please share your stories if you can relate?

Everyday I will eat small meals which consist of fruit, chicken, seafood, and veggies. No fried foods, dairy, or preservatives. I see a acupuncturist every other week, I exercise daily, and I need to lose another 60 lbs. I do have fatty liver and trying to get rid of it - my liver enzymes were 65 for the alt but they blame that on fatty liver (my liver enzymes alt goes down when I lose weight). I have been tested for everything except Sphinctor of oddi. My endoscopy only came up with mild non specific gastritis. I do not have IBS or anything else.

My symptoms are:

Sometimes nausea feeling with belching
Sometimes pain in right upper rib if I walk too much it is relieved when I sit down.
I go to the bathroom every morning (solid BM) like clockwork - sometimes it will be cramping and nausea feeling.
These pains are never together it is either one or the other. It never sends me to the hospital.
It just so annoying because you have to wait for the feeling to go away.


I do take Welchol to bind bile and probiotics plus I take acid reflux medicine.

I wake up every morning either feeling really good, semi indigestion stomach, or really crappy. Thank god I don't work because I would not be able to keep a job (my husband works).

Really good days - go great for most part of the morning and then in the evening I get a nausea feeling right before dinner and belching will relieve it. I never have a 100% day because it involves some type of belching.

A semi indigestion stomach days - I wake up feeling cramps like I better go to the bathroom but after I go I get cramps and then I get belching. This will go away by 10:00 a.m.

Really crappy day - This day only happens once every two months - you wake up early like 5:00 a.m. and your belching, having two bm's, nausea feeling and it lasts for about an hour. Nothing to send me to the hospital or anything. It just wears you out.

I am really perplexed over the whole situation - I was so healthy before the gallbladder removal - I always felt 100% good everyday. Now it is hard to take a vacation or plan anything. Some doctors think it may be Sphinctor of the Oddi and others don't.

My feeling is it could be the fatty liver causing the problem or it could be a bowel problem - like my bowels just can't stand the bile going through my system so fast. The Welchol takes care of that but maybe my bowels are just too sensitive. The reason I think it is still the fatty liver is because about 3 years ago I went on a vacation and one evening I had really horrible pains in my side area and indigestion so bad I kept taking malox, tums and nothing worked. I couldn't even sit down I was in so much pain with nausea feeling. I went to an emergency clinic and they said it could be my gallbladder and to go home and get a ct scan. I went to my regular doctor and my gallbladder was perfect. No stones and it functioned normally. They concluded I had fatty liver. I had to lose weight. I lost my weight slowly. That pain reminds of the what I go through now but I only had one attack with the liver it was not a daily basis like it is now. Now a year after that fatty liver attack - I then had a gallbladder attack and then my gallbladder was removed.

I know liver does have nerves to feel pain but it can get enlarged and cause discomfort. When the nausea feeling comes it is associated with belching and farting. I have so much gas so I don't know if Sphinctor of the oddi does that. When I belch it is relieved but starts up again.

I am just so confused all these pains mimic each other like gastritis, acid reflux, sphinctor of oddi - it just makes your anxiety and stress get worse. It is so hard to complete tasks on a daily basis. I am so obsessed with holistic healing. I was given a anti nausea medicine with a pain killer but never used it because what does belching having to do with nausea??


Does anyone go through this on a daily basis? Tell me what you go through on a daily basis? I don't know if this is real or am I just a bizarre case??>?

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to gigi11:
1065 (01-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

I definitely can relate to what you are going through! You are not alone and if you're case is bizarre then I'm right there with you.

I had my gallbladder removed December 9th and here is what I'm going through...

Ususally I wake up in the morning feeling just a tad bit of nausea. Not usually a big deal. Most of the time I do not or can't eat breakfast. If I eat in the morning it's sure to get things off to a bad start. I have the feeling of pressure and tightness in my chest and upper abdomen.

I burp so much, it's ridiculous. It's very embarassing as most times, it comes completely unexpectedly and with a lot of force behind it. A lot of times it's like this sort of hiccup, where my abdomen jerks, followed immediately by a burp. It's weird and sometimes painful. I told my doctor yesterday that if I could have one day where I didn't burp 500 times, it would be a miracle. He said acid reflux is causing this. Not everytime, but quite often, after eating, I end up with some discomfort, or just outright pain, in the upper part of my back, ribs, and even shoulders that I assume are from gas.

My diet is low in fat and consists of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I eat small portions and do not eat fried foods, chocolate, caffeine, absolutely no carbonated drinks, and for the most part no tomatoes.

Been off an on different medications for acid reflux over the past few months. Prilosec for a couple weeks, Nexium for a month, and now Prevacid for the last couple weeks. Took Carafate for 3 weeks as well a couple months ago and started taking it again yesterday. Nothing is helping!

It's not enough pain to send me to the emergency room, just enough to drive me crazy. Oddly enough, laying down or sometimes just sitting, will cause my symptoms to ease up.

Syptoms include:
*upper abdominal tenderness (breastbone to navel)
*burping
*hiccups
*chest discomfort - not severe but can't focus on much
else when this is occuring
-sometimes feels like my chest and everything up
to my throat feels tight
*back aches in the center and upper portion
*right side tightness and tenderness - not convinced that my gb is gone

Next week I'm having an upper endoscopy because my doctor thinks my symptoms are related to acid reflux. Going to the general surgeon that removed my gallbladder for the EGD. I'm afraid he will find something wrong and also afraid that nothing will be found. Then where will that leave me?

Yes, this has all started to give me a great deal of anxiety. I'm obsessing over it because I don't feel well so I think about it all the time. I'm 26 years old and prior to all these issues starting over 8 months ago I'd been in perfect health. Now, 4 months after the gallbladder surgery, I feel worse than ever and am worried that things will never get back to normal.

Sorry this was so long, I'm just needing to vent. Gosh, I'm so frustrated right now. I need answers, and soon, before I go crazy!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

You sound like me - I can be in a store and all of the sudden the belching starts and it feels like so much pressure and then the belch comes out. What foreign belching is this that over the counter medicine does not work for it?? I feel like a volcano going to erupt and go to my chest.

In March, I kept having burning feeling in my chest and if I bent over and got up to soon I was feeling nausea so I rushed myself to my doctor and they kept telling me acid reflux. I already had a endoscopy done and all they found was mild gastritis and no acid reflux.

I am also obsessed with this problem because it keeps reminding me everyday by belching. I am just so sick of it. I exercise and in the middle of my exercise routine it bloats me and I belch again. I have to eat very small meals. I search the internet to find any remedy or any self healing method. I do acupuncture and she hits all my digestive points. I am getting ready to see a holistic doctor because I am about to give up on modern medicine.

The back aches feel like you been walking for 24 hours and you haven't sat down all day. I have to use heating patches to calm the pain.

Give me an update on your endoscopy. I will let you what I find out from the liver doctor and the other digestive doctor.

Did you ever read about Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction?

Try not to let this make you insane - I know I have been there in back. I am just so confused and want answers.

I have tried all acid reflux medicines but Zantac prescription has calmed down some of the belching but it is still there.

Please vent here because I will listen - I know how you feel and how miserable this is because I am going through the same things and this is going on 2 years now. A war is going on in my stomach

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
You sound like me - I can be in a store and all of the sudden the belching starts and it feels like so much pressure and then the belch comes out. What foreign belching is this that over the counter medicine does not work for it?? I feel like a volcano going to erupt and go to my chest.

In March, I kept having burning feeling in my chest and if I bent over and got up to soon I was feeling nausea so I rushed myself to my doctor and they kept telling me acid reflux. I already had a endoscopy done and all they found was mild gastritis and no acid reflux.

I am also obsessed with this problem because it keeps reminding me everyday by belching. I am just so sick of it. I exercise and in the middle of my exercise routine it bloats me and I belch again. I have to eat very small meals. I search the internet to find any remedy or any self healing method. I do acupuncture and she hits all my digestive points. I am getting ready to see a holistic doctor because I am about to give up on modern medicine.

The back aches feel like you been walking for 24 hours and you haven't sat down all day. I have to use heating patches to calm the pain.

Give me an update on your endoscopy. I will let you what I find out from the liver doctor and the other digestive doctor.

Did you ever read about Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction?

Try not to let this make you insane - I know I have been there in back. I am just so confused and want answers.

I have tried all acid reflux medicines but Zantac prescription has calmed down some of the belching but it is still there.

Please vent here because I will listen - I know how you feel and how miserable this is because I am going through the same things and this is going on 2 years now. A war is going on in my stomach
It seems as though I can't be up walking around, or doing anything for that matter, without the belching starting. I've given up on exercising the past couple months because it always makes me start burping. Do you have any trouble with hiccups? I'm getting them a lot more frequently than I ever have. It feels like I have so much pressure and gas in my chest and back. Also having a bit of a burning sensation in my chest on a regular basis.

Went shopping with a friend yesterday and it was not fun. Like the belching fits, walking around, or even just eating makes my back ache. It's like the back ache that you describe. I think it's impossible not to be obsessed with it. Friends and family keep telling me I'm making it worse by thinking about it all the time. Well, if they had five minutes in my body, to feel what I'm going through, I'm sure they'd be more sympathetic.

Guess I'm getting ready to go through all of the test you have already had. It worries me that we are having much of the same symptoms and you still don't have a definite diagnosis. I have read up on sphincter of oddi dysfunction and I guess it is a possibility.

I'm trying to stay positive and hope that the upper endoscopy reveals something or if it is really acid reflux, that my doctor figures out a combination of meds that will work for me. After taking several different PPIs, and no success, I'm worried. Anyway, guess I have no choice but to just trust in my doctor currently and go from there.

Gigi, thank you for your support. I'm here to listen too when you need to vent. Misery loves company, right? Can't imagine dealing with this for 2 years like you've had to do. Please keep me updated on what you find out and I will most definitely do the same for you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns1022 View Post
It seems as though I can't be up walking around, or doing anything for that matter, without the belching starting. I've given up on exercising the past couple months because it always makes me start burping. Do you have any trouble with hiccups? I'm getting them a lot more frequently than I ever have. It feels like I have so much pressure and gas in my chest and back. Also having a bit of a burning sensation in my chest on a regular basis.

Went shopping with a friend yesterday and it was not fun. Like the belching fits, walking around, or even just eating makes my back ache. It's like the back ache that you describe. I think it's impossible not to be obsessed with it. Friends and family keep telling me I'm making it worse by thinking about it all the time. Well, if they had five minutes in my body, to feel what I'm going through, I'm sure they'd be more sympathetic.

Guess I'm getting ready to go through all of the test you have already had. It worries me that we are having much of the same symptoms and you still don't have a definite diagnosis. I have read up on sphincter of oddi dysfunction and I guess it is a possibility.

I'm trying to stay positive and hope that the upper endoscopy reveals something or if it is really acid reflux, that my doctor figures out a combination of meds that will work for me. After taking several different PPIs, and no success, I'm worried. Anyway, guess I have no choice but to just trust in my doctor currently and go from there.

Gigi, thank you for your support. I'm here to listen too when you need to vent. Misery loves company, right? Can't imagine dealing with this for 2 years like you've had to do. Please keep me updated on what you find out and I will most definitely do the same for you.

If you search the net there are so many people out there that have the same symptoms and doctors can't give them any answers and always blame it on IBS or acid reflux. I am thinking this has to do with Bile - bile is always coming from the liver no matter if you have a meal or not. You no longer have a gall bladder to take in the excess for storage so now it settles in your stomach which irritates the stomach wall. That is why I had the gastritis. They also found some extra bile in my stomach during the endoscopy. The back pain is from the gas - anytime your stomach is full of gas the muscles tighten up. I was fine after the surgery but once a month I would go through the indigestion and belching (tightening of the stomach). Then about 9 months after my surgery it got worse because anxiety set it. I kept thinking anxiety is doing this but after several months of meditation and relaxation I knew this could not be anxiety. All the testing drove me crazy. I always thought the worse because it really felt like a battle was going on in the stomach. When they did the endoscopy and only found one small thing wrong I was shocked because the bloating and horrible feelings I was going through.

I have to plan my days now. I have to eat oatmeal or half a piece of toast in a.m. - exercise for 45 minutes (hope I get through the exercise ok without belching). Then do all my morning activities because after lunch I am useless. It can be 10 minutes or 1/2 hour after I eat that the belching will start. I dread eating lunch! Dinner is ok. I don't have hiccups but it probably because of the belching so many times in a day. I bet your gastro doctor will tell you "belching is caused by swallowing air" - that is a bunch of crap.

I still feel there is hope and I am going to find that answer. I will write a book afterwards lol.

When I looked up Sphinctor of oddi it described a horrible pain enough to send you to the ER and other people have described it that way. I never feel that way - I just have like a back pain in the upper right liver area or I have the belching episodes which sometimes causes me to feel nausea because of the trapped burps in my stomach. The burning in my chest came later and that just started in March.

I used to panic when the war started in my stomach because I thought it might get worse and then i would have to go to the er but I try to take deep calming breaths and relax - it helps a little but at least I am not crying as much as I used to. I kept crying thinking my life is over at 42. It is fearing the unknown is why the anxiety gets worse so I want some logical answers to my questions so when I go to John Hopkins I am going to get some answers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
If you search the net there are so many people out there that have the same symptoms and doctors can't give them any answers and always blame it on IBS or acid reflux. I am thinking this has to do with Bile - bile is always coming from the liver no matter if you have a meal or not. You no longer have a gall bladder to take in the excess for storage so now it settles in your stomach which irritates the stomach wall. That is why I had the gastritis. They also found some extra bile in my stomach during the endoscopy. The back pain is from the gas - anytime your stomach is full of gas the muscles tighten up. I was fine after the surgery but once a month I would go through the indigestion and belching (tightening of the stomach). Then about 9 months after my surgery it got worse because anxiety set it. I kept thinking anxiety is doing this but after several months of meditation and relaxation I knew this could not be anxiety. All the testing drove me crazy. I always thought the worse because it really felt like a battle was going on in the stomach. When they did the endoscopy and only found one small thing wrong I was shocked because the bloating and horrible feelings I was going through.

I have to plan my days now. I have to eat oatmeal or half a piece of toast in a.m. - exercise for 45 minutes (hope I get through the exercise ok without belching). Then do all my morning activities because after lunch I am useless. It can be 10 minutes or 1/2 hour after I eat that the belching will start. I dread eating lunch! Dinner is ok. I don't have hiccups but it probably because of the belching so many times in a day. I bet your gastro doctor will tell you "belching is caused by swallowing air" - that is a bunch of crap.

I still feel there is hope and I am going to find that answer. I will write a book afterwards lol.

When I looked up Sphinctor of oddi it described a horrible pain enough to send you to the ER and other people have described it that way. I never feel that way - I just have like a back pain in the upper right liver area or I have the belching episodes which sometimes causes me to feel nausea because of the trapped burps in my stomach. The burning in my chest came later and that just started in March.

I used to panic when the war started in my stomach because I thought it might get worse and then i would have to go to the er but I try to take deep calming breaths and relax - it helps a little but at least I am not crying as much as I used to. I kept crying thinking my life is over at 42. It is fearing the unknown is why the anxiety gets worse so I want some logical answers to my questions so when I go to John Hopkins I am going to get some answers.
I really hope, that after going to Johns Hopkins, you finally get some answers. I'll buy your book whenever it comes out, haha!

I've actually had a halfway decent day after a rough week. Still not anywhere near the way things should be. Maybe it is acid reflux and the Prevacid along with the Carafate and Gaviscon are helping some, I don't know.

As for the anxiety, I maintain that the health issues are what started mine, not the other way around. If I felt good, I wouldn't be having anxiety! Like you said, not knowing what is going on - if it's fixable or how to treat it - will make you worry like crazy.

While I'm not looking forward to the upper endoscopy, I'm hoping it may shed some light on what's going on. If it doesn't I'm not sure how I will feel. Relief in that nothing serious is going on, or frustrated and confused about where to go from there?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 183
rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Has anyone ever suggested Leaky Gut Syndrome to you? It is a very interesting thing to read about.
Rose

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Today was a bad day! I woke up at 5:00 a.m. and had to go to the bathroom and then again to the bathroom and once again. I didn't have diarrehea just had to go 3 times. Then the gas came plus indigestion and finally nausea. I notice after I go to the bathroom and empty out my bowels my stomach goes into shock like it shaky. Throughout the day I was belching and then the indigestion came back. Does anyone go through that?

I started to cry this morning not because of pain but I always feel my life is over because I know my day is shot when I have a bad day. I am just so fustrated because why doesn't a gas medicine work for gas. Is this some weird type of gas that nothing works. I am just so sick of this whole deal!:blob_ fire

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 107
jns1022 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Maybe acid reflux really is my issue. I had the upper endoscopy today which showed irritation in my esophagus which they took a biopsy of. Didn't get to speak to my doctor afterwards, he relayed that info to my Dad. Anyway, I swear I heard one of the nurses say something about Barrett's esophagus but they could be me being paranoid or the drugs, one or the other. I have a follow up appointment next week and I should find out more then. Don't understand how acid could be irritating my esophagus when I'm taking Prevacid and Carafate, following a GERD diet, and eating small meals. They did not see a hiatal hernia which my doctor thought beforehand that I probably had.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
simondsammy HB User
Question Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

I so know what you are going threw. I had my gallbladder out April of 2002 and to this day it feels like im still taking gallbladder attacks my gallbladder had ripped and i got pancreatitis . they also told me that i have a fatty liver. but i still have to watch what i eat because it sets my stomach off and i start taking bloating feeling in my middle stomach. this happens at least 4 times a month or more. and i keep IBS. I take over the counter med's so i can leave the house or i would have to go all day without eating because sometimes i have to run to the restroom befor im even done eating. and the doctors here just keep telling me im ok it will go away in time well its been 8yrs and still telling me same thing im sitting here right now with a bloating ,pain in my stomach feels like a gallbladder attack but bloating at the same time my stomach is swallon and everything. I take thyroid meds, and im a diabitic. I would really like to know what is really causing this the doctors arround here wont give me no answers and dont have the money to go anywhere eles. if i dont eat greasy foods or lettuas im fine. i cant eat beans either.so if you go threw this to or can shed a light on some thing please let me know. im up to try anything at this point its a real pain. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I have posted many times on this board about my problems after getting my gallbladder removed. I still have no answers. I am going to a liver specialist on May 7th and then a SOD Doctor afterwards.

This is what I go through on a daily or monthly basis and please share your stories if you can relate?

Everyday I will eat small meals which consist of fruit, chicken, seafood, and veggies. No fried foods, dairy, or preservatives. I see a acupuncturist every other week, I exercise daily, and I need to lose another 60 lbs. I do have fatty liver and trying to get rid of it - my liver enzymes were 65 for the alt but they blame that on fatty liver (my liver enzymes alt goes down when I lose weight). I have been tested for everything except Sphinctor of oddi. My endoscopy only came up with mild non specific gastritis. I do not have IBS or anything else.

My symptoms are:

Sometimes nausea feeling with belching
Sometimes pain in right upper rib if I walk too much it is relieved when I sit down.
I go to the bathroom every morning (solid BM) like clockwork - sometimes it will be cramping and nausea feeling.
These pains are never together it is either one or the other. It never sends me to the hospital.
It just so annoying because you have to wait for the feeling to go away.


I do take Welchol to bind bile and probiotics plus I take acid reflux medicine.

I wake up every morning either feeling really good, semi indigestion stomach, or really crappy. Thank god I don't work because I would not be able to keep a job (my husband works).

Really good days - go great for most part of the morning and then in the evening I get a nausea feeling right before dinner and belching will relieve it. I never have a 100% day because it involves some type of belching.

A semi indigestion stomach days - I wake up feeling cramps like I better go to the bathroom but after I go I get cramps and then I get belching. This will go away by 10:00 a.m.

Really crappy day - This day only happens once every two months - you wake up early like 5:00 a.m. and your belching, having two bm's, nausea feeling and it lasts for about an hour. Nothing to send me to the hospital or anything. It just wears you out.

I am really perplexed over the whole situation - I was so healthy before the gallbladder removal - I always felt 100% good everyday. Now it is hard to take a vacation or plan anything. Some doctors think it may be Sphinctor of the Oddi and others don't.

My feeling is it could be the fatty liver causing the problem or it could be a bowel problem - like my bowels just can't stand the bile going through my system so fast. The Welchol takes care of that but maybe my bowels are just too sensitive. The reason I think it is still the fatty liver is because about 3 years ago I went on a vacation and one evening I had really horrible pains in my side area and indigestion so bad I kept taking malox, tums and nothing worked. I couldn't even sit down I was in so much pain with nausea feeling. I went to an emergency clinic and they said it could be my gallbladder and to go home and get a ct scan. I went to my regular doctor and my gallbladder was perfect. No stones and it functioned normally. They concluded I had fatty liver. I had to lose weight. I lost my weight slowly. That pain reminds of the what I go through now but I only had one attack with the liver it was not a daily basis like it is now. Now a year after that fatty liver attack - I then had a gallbladder attack and then my gallbladder was removed.

I know liver does have nerves to feel pain but it can get enlarged and cause discomfort. When the nausea feeling comes it is associated with belching and farting. I have so much gas so I don't know if Sphinctor of the oddi does that. When I belch it is relieved but starts up again.

I am just so confused all these pains mimic each other like gastritis, acid reflux, sphinctor of oddi - it just makes your anxiety and stress get worse. It is so hard to complete tasks on a daily basis. I am so obsessed with holistic healing. I was given a anti nausea medicine with a pain killer but never used it because what does belching having to do with nausea??


Does anyone go through this on a daily basis? Tell me what you go through on a daily basis? I don't know if this is real or am I just a bizarre case??>?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

I went to a liver specialist two weeks ago - I have to have a HIDA scan for Sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction. John Hopkins are now studying the disease because more people are complaining of these symptoms we are describing. The liver specialist stated that I eat too fast and eat too much fruit which will cause belching. I also swallow air. He felt my liver and said it was slightly swollen. I have to have a liver blood panel. He does not believe i have sphinctor of oddi from all the symptoms I complained about. He did said because my liver is slightly swollen it will cause pain by pushing up against other organs. Check out their website they have newsletters and radio interview with the doctor who is head of the sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction department. I read numerous articles on the subject of pains after gallbladder removal - the one thing they mentioned if you are overweight lose the weight because it is crushing the bile ducts and stomach area - that just creates acid reflux and other digestive problems.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Oh 500,000 gallbladders are removed every year - 1 and 100 have sphinctor of Oddi dysfunction. So this is becoming a recognizable disease.

Just curious how long have you had fatty liver? I am worried I had it too long since 2007.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 62
rose620 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Hi There - I've been on this board before. I do have most of the issues you complain about and probably more.

I am curious to hear a description of what you feel when you say you have chest pain. I have had that since before my gb was removed and thought it would be gone but it isn't as of today. So to compare my pains I'd love your description.

Thanks everyone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose620 View Post
Hi There - I've been on this board before. I do have most of the issues you complain about and probably more.

I am curious to hear a description of what you feel when you say you have chest pain. I have had that since before my gb was removed and thought it would be gone but it isn't as of today. So to compare my pains I'd love your description.

Thanks everyone.

My chest pains were gas just stuck in my chest - felt like trapped air but as soon as I took acid reflux medicine that pain went away. Now the other pains still working on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
tmw68 HB User
Unhappy Re: Life after Gallbladder Removal - Can anyone relate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I have posted many times on this board about my problems after getting my gallbladder removed. I still have no answers. I am going to a liver specialist on May 7th and then a SOD Doctor afterwards.

This is what I go through on a daily or monthly basis and please share your stories if you can relate?

Everyday I will eat small meals which consist of fruit, chicken, seafood, and veggies. No fried foods, dairy, or preservatives. I see a acupuncturist every other week, I exercise daily, and I need to lose another 60 lbs. I do have fatty liver and trying to get rid of it - my liver enzymes were 65 for the alt but they blame that on fatty liver (my liver enzymes alt goes down when I lose weight). I have been tested for everything except Sphinctor of oddi. My endoscopy only came up with mild non specific gastritis. I do not have IBS or anything else.

My symptoms are:

Sometimes nausea feeling with belching
Sometimes pain in right upper rib if I walk too much it is relieved when I sit down.
I go to the bathroom every morning (solid BM) like clockwork - sometimes it will be cramping and nausea feeling.
These pains are never together it is either one or the other. It never sends me to the hospital.
It just so annoying because you have to wait for the feeling to go away.


I do take Welchol to bind bile and probiotics plus I take acid reflux medicine.

I wake up every morning either feeling really good, semi indigestion stomach, or really crappy. Thank god I don't work because I would not be able to keep a job (my husband works).

Really good days - go great for most part of the morning and then in the evening I get a nausea feeling right before dinner and belching will relieve it. I never have a 100% day because it involves some type of belching.

A semi indigestion stomach days - I wake up feeling cramps like I better go to the bathroom but after I go I get cramps and then I get belching. This will go away by 10:00 a.m.

Really crappy day - This day only happens once every two months - you wake up early like 5:00 a.m. and your belching, having two bm's, nausea feeling and it lasts for about an hour. Nothing to send me to the hospital or anything. It just wears you out.

I am really perplexed over the whole situation - I was so healthy before the gallbladder removal - I always felt 100% good everyday. Now it is hard to take a vacation or plan anything. Some doctors think it may be Sphinctor of the Oddi and others don't.

My feeling is it could be the fatty liver causing the problem or it could be a bowel problem - like my bowels just can't stand the bile going through my system so fast. The Welchol takes care of that but maybe my bowels are just too sensitive. The reason I think it is still the fatty liver is because about 3 years ago I went on a vacation and one evening I had really horrible pains in my side area and indigestion so bad I kept taking malox, tums and nothing worked. I couldn't even sit down I was in so much pain with nausea feeling. I went to an emergency clinic and they said it could be my gallbladder and to go home and get a ct scan. I went to my regular doctor and my gallbladder was perfect. No stones and it functioned normally. They concluded I had fatty liver. I had to lose weight. I lost my weight slowly. That pain reminds of the what I go through now but I only had one attack with the liver it was not a daily basis like it is now. Now a year after that fatty liver attack - I then had a gallbladder attack and then my gallbladder was removed.

I know liver does have nerves to feel pain but it can get enlarged and cause discomfort. When the nausea feeling comes it is associated with belching and farting. I have so much gas so I don't know if Sphinctor of the oddi does that. When I belch it is relieved but starts up again.

I am just so confused all these pains mimic each other like gastritis, acid reflux, sphinctor of oddi - it just makes your anxiety and stress get worse. It is so hard to complete tasks on a daily basis. I am so obsessed with holistic healing. I was given a anti nausea medicine with a pain killer but never used it because what does belching having to do with nausea??


Does anyone go through this on a daily basis? Tell me what you go through on a daily basis? I don't know if this is real or am I just a bizarre case??>?
Hello! I am having my gallblader out on June 2, 2010. This will be my 10th operation. I know what you are going thru. Hang in there. It is hard I know. I am a Army wife and had to go thru alot of this on my own. I will never be able to have kids. Life will go on. I have dealt with a lot of the things you are going through. I'm also having pain behind my belly bottom. Which could be from all the scar tissue from past surgeries. I also have pain on the left side. I have gain weight. I don't want to leave the house cause none of my clothes fit me and I have had to revert to maternity clothes. GO FIGURE!! Cant have them but the pants are the only comfortable cloths to wear. I fear when out in public people will ask me when I'm due, I have anger issues, so I don't want to go postal on anyone. On that note, I have become a bicth to my husband. I feel horable. I have always been a sweet loving person, & now all I do is cry alot. Can't have any fun do to pain. I totally know how you are feeling.

Noone ever said life is fair and I / We must deal with the hand God dealt us. Remeber he will never give us what we can't handle. Keep the faith and keep me posted. Hang in there...

Last edited by tmw68; 05-31-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: change

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Life after gall bladder removal - pros and cons nikkilewis Gallbladder 38 08-30-2011 10:51 AM
Terrible gas pain long after removal of gallbladder! iluvnf Gallbladder 15 09-21-2010 09:16 AM
Anyone had gallbladder issues but no pain? idkwia Gallbladder 12 03-27-2010 05:54 PM
Post Gallbladder removal fears drlguy Gallbladder 19 03-19-2010 06:00 AM
Can anyone help me? Gallbladder removal problems or anxiety gigi11 Gallbladder 1 12-05-2009 01:32 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (168), Collector167 (19), miniguy (12), cabin921 (10), roxybell (9), janewhite1 (8), vachilly (5), ladybud (5), rainbowsrock (5), mightmouse (4)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!