It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

Maryinpa HB User
10 Months After my Gallbladder was removed...

...and I don't miss it one bit.

I've been reading over the threads, and was surprised to see so many people having issues post gallbladder surgery.

I had my surgery on July 5th. It was more painful than I was prepared for, because I'd heard about people mowing their lawn or building a new deck for their house on the 3rd day post op and expected to be mountain climbing at one week post op. Not to be. I was, however, walking ...alot of walking. Got winded very easily and felt short of breath, which scared the daylights out of me, but fear of blood clots scared me more...so I kept walking.

I am happy to report, almost a year post op, I am doing great. Life is SO much better without that blasted thing waking me up at 4 am so I could writhe in agony for hours. Is life perfect, digestive wise? No, I still have minor issues that probably werent related to the GB issue anyhow... I still get heartburn sometimes. Not alot, once in a while....like every two or three weeks I'll need a rolaids. I get loose bowels once in a while also...but so do my family members who DO have gallbladders. No outright diarrhea, though.

So....after reading all the GB removal horror stories, I'm happy to report that there are a few happy customers out there.

BTW, I do not, nor have I ever eaten low fat after my surgery. My surgeon advised against a low fat diet, saying that the fat gives the bile something to do, so to speak....and now that the bile won't have anywhere to be stored, you don't want bile constantly dripping into the lower digestive tract. he said it would cause irritation of the intestines and colon and cause spasm/cramps and diarrhea. I tried it....went for a week on a low/no fat diet and had terrible cramps and diarrhea....when I went back to eating normal foods, the bowels became normal. Been eating that way ever since, except for when i had the flu and didn't eat anything for three days....

I know alot of docs tell people whove had their GBs removed to eat low fat, but our doctor advises against that....Luckily, his advice worked for me. My BMs are consistent and normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
(female)

jns1022 HB User
Re: 10 Months After my Gallbladder was removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryinpa View Post
...and I don't miss it one bit.

I've been reading over the threads, and was surprised to see so many people having issues post gallbladder surgery.

I had my surgery on July 5th. It was more painful than I was prepared for, because I'd heard about people mowing their lawn or building a new deck for their house on the 3rd day post op and expected to be mountain climbing at one week post op. Not to be. I was, however, walking ...alot of walking. Got winded very easily and felt short of breath, which scared the daylights out of me, but fear of blood clots scared me more...so I kept walking.

I am happy to report, almost a year post op, I am doing great. Life is SO much better without that blasted thing waking me up at 4 am so I could writhe in agony for hours. Is life perfect, digestive wise? No, I still have minor issues that probably werent related to the GB issue anyhow... I still get heartburn sometimes. Not alot, once in a while....like every two or three weeks I'll need a rolaids. I get loose bowels once in a while also...but so do my family members who DO have gallbladders. No outright diarrhea, though.

So....after reading all the GB removal horror stories, I'm happy to report that there are a few happy customers out there.

BTW, I do not, nor have I ever eaten low fat after my surgery. My surgeon advised against a low fat diet, saying that the fat gives the bile something to do, so to speak....and now that the bile won't have anywhere to be stored, you don't want bile constantly dripping into the lower digestive tract. he said it would cause irritation of the intestines and colon and cause spasm/cramps and diarrhea. I tried it....went for a week on a low/no fat diet and had terrible cramps and diarrhea....when I went back to eating normal foods, the bowels became normal. Been eating that way ever since, except for when i had the flu and didn't eat anything for three days....

I know alot of docs tell people whove had their GBs removed to eat low fat, but our doctor advises against that....Luckily, his advice worked for me. My BMs are consistent and normal.
Glad to hear that you are doing well after your gallbladder removal. Of course most of the people who post, myself included, are people who have had issues afterwards. I talked to many people before my surgery that really had no side effects from having their gallbladder removed.

While I'm certainly thankful to have not had any more gallbladder attacks, had 3 of those, life on a day to day basis right now for me is worse than it was with the gallbladder. It was necessary for me to get it out as I did have a gallstone. One attack was so painful that I was sure I was going to die and I almost called for an ambulance.

The symptoms I'm experiencing currently (abdominal tenderness, burping, hiccups, chest discomfort, back aches, right side tightness), my doctor thinks are due to acid reflux. I'm not sure since the PPIs aren't helping me at all. Having an upper endoscopy Wednesday which I'm hoping will give me some answers, or maybe peace of mind knowing that nothing is seriously wrong.

It's good that you posted because people do need to know there are lots of people that are perfectly fine after gallbladder surgery. I'm not even sure my current issues are related to not having a gallbladder but I think it may be. Guess I'll just have to keep having tests done until I find out something. Hoping to get answers soon.

Take care!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
(female)

Maryinpa HB User

Well, what is frustrating is that the doctors don't know what's wrong with some of the people who have issues afterwards....it's like they just run people around in circles doing this test or that.

It seems that with the advanced state of the medical art, those of you having issues shouldn't have so much trouble finding answers.

So, it's confusing to me why the doctors can't give you all the answers you deserve....

Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I am just trying to get answers. I may be one of those people it didn't work for me and you are very lucky and I envy you. This is a miserable life because I can't enjoy and believe me I have tried everything. I am hoping it is just fatty liver because I don't sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction. I never had all these digestive issues until I got my gallbladder removed. It is like there is no balance.

Doctors love to blame it on IBS, acid reflux, or they say your crazy because having your gallbladder removed should never cause any problems.

Oh well, maybe I will find my answer one day.

Closed Thread