It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

paynes79 HB User
Gallbladder removed, symptoms worse, 79lbs lost., bile in stomach,...Questions!

My problems began in October 2009. (my weight was 241lbs, please keep in mind however large a number this is, I was quite active & lifted weights regularly. but yes, fat.)

I was having fullness, nausea, vomiting... and also lots of pain.

My pain was lower right side, I went to my OB/GYN (Nov) and it was found that I had a large mass on my ovary. I had a laporscopy done (11/4/09) for the mass and also removal of endometriosis, which I have removed about every 18-36 months (since I was 17) when the pain gets to be unbearable.

Throughout November I was still having fullness, nausea and vomiting. I began to see a pattern to my vomiting as being only when I ate any high fat foods... then it turned out, foods with almost any fat!
My diet consisted of chicken noodle soup, with the chicken removed and usually I didn't eat the noodles. I also would just drink tea.

My doctor sent me to a GI doc, who did gallbladder function testing... normal.
Surgeon wasn't convinced and decided my gallbladder was the culprit and removed it on 12/15/09 laporscopically. My weight at surgery was 200lbs. (down 41 in 8 weeks)

Before gallbladder removal, I only could not eat foods with fat... or I would throw up within 10-15 minutes.
I NEVER had any pain.

Since removal, no matter what I ingest... even when I chew gum, I get a spasm pain in my right side up under my ribs. Also whatever food that does stay down, makes a VERY loud journey through my large intestine. I also now go back and forth between loose stools and small hard ones... but almost all have mucus.

I am still vomiting, still have fullness, still can't eat fat(even in a small amount that my body requires) Oh and sugar also seems to set me off.
My fingernails are always blue/white and ice cold.

I am now 162lbs. (that would be 79 lbs lost in about 5 months)

I have followed up with my GI doc, I seemed to be getting put off. (The doctors just kept commenting on how great I look)
But when he saw me again, he was quite alarmed.

He ordered some labs, which actually all came back normal. Specifically my liver function.

I had an upper GI endoscopy yesterday. He did a biopsy of my stomach and...ugh maybe liver?

He did say that my stomach was full of bile and showed me a picture of my BRIGHT GREEN stomach.

He has now put me on Levsin and prescription Prilosec and told me to follow up in 2 months.

I feel completely lost.
I haven't been able to lift weights anymore, even the little bit of physical activity I have done... my heart feels like it is going to shoot out of my chest. (I have normal cholesterol and my blood pressure at top weight was 110/80 and now is 85/60)

Any input would be great!
Like I said, I just feel lost.

He did mention something about down the road further testing in Indiana? But I don't know why or what for.

Thank you!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
(female)

bostongal HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed, symptoms worse, 79lbs lost., bile in stomach,...Questions!

Let me first off say that I hope you are feeling better soon.

My case is very similar to yours - I had my gallbladder out in 2005 followed by two more surgeries over a period of 5 weeks, a week in the ICU and was left with Chronic Bile Salts Diarrhea with Malabsorption. What this means for me is I have diarrhea up to 30x a day every day and I vomit periodically. I cannot eat large amounts of anything, have to avoid all high fiber or I wind up on the floor in hysterical pain and no medication has ever done anything to stop the diarrhea.

Now I know people will say that I am the rare case and that this is not normal but according to my GI doctor who is one to the top doctors in the field a certain percentage of patients wind up with this disorder and they are not sure why it doesn't correct.

For me it's been over 5 years and it has not changed at all. It is a life long disabling condition.

I hope that it is not your fate. I would suggest getting back into your GI and trying all the medications that they offer to find a solution.

I take Compazine for the vomiting and have learned the foods that work the best for me but I am housebound most of the time, no longer work and have had my life changed forever.

Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Gallbladder removed, symptoms worse, 79lbs lost., bile in stomach,...Questions!

I am just wondering why doctors always suggest Sphinctor of Oddi Dysfunction - don't 40% of people who have their gallbladder removed have gas, nausea issues afterwards? I am going year 2 living in agony with gas, indigeston, and pain in upper right rib area. Wish I never got the gallbladder taken out.

Closed Thread