It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

Lauren525 HB User
Question Having my Gall Bladder Removed, what can I expect after?

Hi everyone,

I'm having my Gall bladder removed next week by lap. About 3 weeks ago I was experiencing pain on the right side of my abdomen and went the emergency room, they gave me an ultrasound and found that I have Gall Bladder disease and gall stones (not sure if they're the same thing).

I followed up with a surgeon, and he's going to remove my gall bladder next week. He said that I will only be staying in the hospital for one night. I'm so nervous about this surgery even though I know that it's considered to be a "minor surgery."

I've heard many horror stories about life after gall bladder removal. About people who are living with diahhrea for years now, living with pain now. And I'm just trying to find out what I can expect after the surgery. (how many days of pain, etc.) Really, I'm trying to find out from anyone who has had this surgery to remove their gall bladder laproscopically, what the recovery was like, what did you or can you eat after surgery, can you ever eat a normal diet again, just the whole experience starting from the moment after you woke up after the surgery.

Sorry for the long thread.. I'm completely freakedddd out.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Having my Gall Bladder Removed, what can I expect after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren525 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm having my Gall bladder removed next week by lap. About 3 weeks ago I was experiencing pain on the right side of my abdomen and went the emergency room, they gave me an ultrasound and found that I have Gall Bladder disease and gall stones (not sure if they're the same thing).

I followed up with a surgeon, and he's going to remove my gall bladder next week. He said that I will only be staying in the hospital for one night. I'm so nervous about this surgery even though I know that it's considered to be a "minor surgery."

I've heard many horror stories about life after gall bladder removal. About people who are living with diahhrea for years now, living with pain now. And I'm just trying to find out what I can expect after the surgery. (how many days of pain, etc.) Really, I'm trying to find out from anyone who has had this surgery to remove their gall bladder laproscopically, what the recovery was like, what did you or can you eat after surgery, can you ever eat a normal diet again, just the whole experience starting from the moment after you woke up after the surgery.

Sorry for the long thread.. I'm completely freakedddd out.
I had mine removed laproscopically about two years ago but I never stayed at the hospital overnight - I went home that evening. When you wake up after surgery you may have some pain from the air they pumped in your stomach but they give you pain killer and it goes away. when I got home I rested and rested - I was not allowed to go up steps or lift. So I took about a week off. I ate no fat but no one gave me a diet to follow. I was constipated and then I had diarrehea. I had a very good recovery. I was also given pain killers to take home. It depends about eating normal again - everyone is different. I now can't have sugar substitutes because it bothers me. You will have soreness from the small incision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

tap067 HB User

I had mine removed about 10 yrs ago. I stayed overnight because I had'nt had a bowel movement . Other than that it wasn't that bad. Lot's of rest.. Pain meds and you will be good... Feel better soon.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was home by 10 AM day of mine. Jogged 2 miles a week after having it out. I was sore and had to watch what clothing I wore so it didn't rub against any of the incisions. Also ate as fat free as possible for 4 weeks and then slowly introduced fat back into my diet. That was 5 years ago and all has been well. Remember that pain meds can constipate you. If youre sensitive to that (just can't wait for nature to take it's course), be sure to have a stool softener on hand in case you need it.

I've had a deviated septum repaired, tonsils out as an adult, two foot surgeries and various other things and I must say that the GB removal was the easiest of all.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
(male)

ThrillerScribe HB User

Lauren, relax. I had a lap cholecystectomy 9 days ago. They actually kept me for 2 nights, but that's because they discovered some impacted stones in my common bile duct that necessitated an ERCP the next day. I'm sure everyone is different, but in my case, I have no dietary restrictions at all, and no bowel issues. The incision sites don't even hurt anymore.

Don't beat yourself up. There's nothing "minor" about the surgery except the size of the incisions; but the worst discomfort I've felt post-op didn't touch the worst I felt during a gallbladder attack.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

her70cuda HB User

My surgery was January 13th of this year. Biggest issues I deal with are still bloating after I eat certain foods on the right side under my rib and gas. I don't get diarrhea, I did one day after the surgery and that was that. I still watch what I eat because of the gas and bloating though.

I stayed overnight after the surgery. It wasn't as scary as I feared it would be.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
(female)

Lauren525 HB User
Smile Re: Having my Gall Bladder Removed, what can I expect after?

Thank you everyone for your insights and thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It's very comforting hearing from people who have actually have gone through it, rather than nurses, doctors who just witness others go through it. Thanks to all of you!! I greatly appreciate it!

All my love,
Lauren

Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
(female)

MamaZappa HB User

I'm sure you've already had the surgery and are recovering nicely, but I'm chiming in as well with encouragement. The one thing that surprised me was how WIPED OUT I felt later that week (surgery was on a Monday). Then I realized "just because it's got minimal cutting, it's *still* major surgery!.

Long-term results: Well, I too have heard of people experiencing long-term digestive issues - including my poor mother-in-law who was commuting into New York City and had to learn to tolerate the bathrooms at the Port Authority bus terminal (ICK!). And I have had a handful of the "clench-cheeked run-waddles" myself - but *very* few and really only at first. Part of that was about a month after the surgery, I was on some medication that had that as a potential side effect, and it took me a bit to figure out it was a side effect. Once I finished that medication, I had no problems.

I can eat pretty much anything I want. Well, I do minimize the high-fat stuff but mainly because I'm trying to pull off weight; the times I've treated myself, have generally been fine.

Closed Thread