It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

heatherd83 HB User
Another gallbladder thread: Your experiences?

I have been having these "attacks" for a little over 2 years now. I was misdiagnosed as having GERD. When no antiacid could touch the pain, I began doing some research and self-diagnosed myself as having gallbladder issues. I took my evidence to my GP doctor and he agreed and sent me for an ultrasound. Sure enough, I've got stones. The day after the ultrasound I went for a surgical consult and after talking with the surgeon, decided I wanted to get this thing out before I don't have a choice anymore and it becomes an emergency. The only thing is I am absolutely terrified of doing it. Surgery is scheduled for October 5th. I am super freaked out about going under anesthesia. What was your experience like coming out of it? Did it take you long to regain conciousness? Did your stomach hurt? How was the pain from the surgery? As long as everything goes according to plan I should be home that same day. Please tell me about your experiences...

Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Another gallbladder thread: Your experiences?

It's a very brief procedure. I was out for only 40 minutes from when they first started putting me under until I was awake enough to read the clock in recovery. No pain..they give you something in the IV and a scrip for later. I went to the hospital at 5 AM and was home in my bed at 10 AM. Very quick and easy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

Canadian Chick HB User

I had my gallbaldder out 2 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did. I began experiencing attacks in march, after having the 3rd one in a week I went to the ER. As I described the pain and location, the ER nurse asked if I still had my gallbaldder. I had an ultrsound the next day ( I went home after the ER with percocet as it was late and they wouldn't get an untrasound until the next day). Turns out I had polyps growing inside it. I had just assumed I had gallstones so that freaked me out a little. I had my surgery within 3 months.
The pain of surgery and recovery was nothing compared to the pain of a gallbladder attack. I had day surgery, 3 small incisions-one in my belly button, one under my breastbone and one to my right side. I woke up fine, not in much pain and they gave me some pain meds in recovery. Once moved back to day surgery, they have you eat something-I was offered chicken salad or egg salad sandwich or a muffin. Despite the thought of eating anything was the last thing I wanted to do, and sandwiches certainly did not sound appealing, I opted for the muffin. After a few bites I felt a little nauseous-not bad but I was so scared of being sick to my stomach after having stomach surgery. I told them that and they said they woudl fix it right away and added another IV bag of something to help and it immediately did.
I was sent home with percocet and took it for a few days but the pain was never really bad, just sore. I ate a full meal that night-Swiss Chalet chicken and some fries actually-and had no problem. I never had any problem afterwards with diet although I know some do when eating any type of fatty food. I was feeling great a week later. The one thing that took me some time to be comfortable doing was driving...and only when I had to reverse and turn a lot to look over my shoulder as turning my body was sore.
The one thing I was warned about was rebound pain in the shoulder-this is from the anastethic and can hurt. I was told to move around if I got it to move it through my body. Fortunately, it never bothered me.

Good luck. I was soooo happy to have mine removed. It was a piece of cake compared to a gallbladder attack.

Last edited by Canadian Chick; 09-19-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
(female)

NotorDJP HB User

I had the surgery April of 2005. I didn't have stones, I just had a low ejection fraction (9%). I never had huge attacks. I had fullness/ache in my right upper abodomen, with bloating feeling and diarrhea. After my surgery, which was done laproscopically, I was in pain for about two weeks, but mainly just the first couple of days after. It took away my pain for the most part.

Occasionally I have symptoms like I used to have, especially lately. I can't eat things that give me lots of gas because it gives me pain. Just be careful after surgery. Most people say you can eat anything you want after, but I was not able to do that for more than a year.

It's still better than before the surgery, even with the problems (minor) that's I've had since.

I had never had a surgery either, save to have my wisdom teeth out. I was scared of going to sleep and waking up during the surgery( too many nights watching discovery health channel.) But it went fine.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

heatherd83 HB User

Haha! I am scared of waking up during the surgery, too! That's funny. I hope it doesn't happen...

Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

NotorDJP HB User

Yeah, I even told my anethesiologist that if he didn't want to end up on a documentary, he better give me the good stuff. The thing is I did wake up at the end of my endoscopy when they looked at my stomach and throat etc, so I was paranoid. But they just put you in twilight sleep for that.

I didn't know one thing from the next, I felt the slight burn of the stuff going into my vein and then I remember waking up with pain in my stomach...you'll be fine.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherd83 View Post
I have been having these "attacks" for a little over 2 years now. I was misdiagnosed as having GERD. When no antiacid could touch the pain, I began doing some research and self-diagnosed myself as having gallbladder issues. I took my evidence to my GP doctor and he agreed and sent me for an ultrasound. Sure enough, I've got stones. The day after the ultrasound I went for a surgical consult and after talking with the surgeon, decided I wanted to get this thing out before I don't have a choice anymore and it becomes an emergency. The only thing is I am absolutely terrified of doing it. Surgery is scheduled for October 5th. I am super freaked out about going under anesthesia. What was your experience like coming out of it? Did it take you long to regain conciousness? Did your stomach hurt? How was the pain from the surgery? As long as everything goes according to plan I should be home that same day. Please tell me about your experiences...
Thanks for posting this. I'm going in the same day as you to have my GB removed. It took several Dr's 6 months to finally figure out what I had...and yes just like you, I did the research. One Dr told me to take Tylenol. Another Dr threw up his hands and said idk. I can't wait to get this thing out. I do have a question though (anyone please chime in here)
My white blood cell count goes up, and then they give me antibiotic. When I'm put on antibiotics I feel great. Once I'm off, all symptoms start up again (including lymph node pain/swelling) Can the GB get infected?
Thanks and good luck to you heatherd83!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
(female)

NotorDJP HB User

Yes the Gall Bladder can get infected if the bile ducts are blocked or it has stopped functioning. This can be a serious, emergency situation, so if you have a fever and this pain, then you should go to the ER. If the GB bursts, that bile and acid will go into your abdomen and can cause all sorts of problems.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
(female)

heatherd83 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I have just been spending my days eating as low fat as I can (you wouldn't believe the weight I've lost already!) and trying not to freak myself out too bad over this surgery. I know it's super routine, but things can still happen. I'm going to ask them to give me something for my anxiety right when I get there, and according to my surgeon, that will be the last thing I remember until I wake up. I just keep telling myself "all you have to do is get there, then fall asleep". I'm hoping I don't completely melt down in panic... haha Anywho.. just a week left to go. I'm hoping after this my problems will go away and I can slowly transition back to SOME fat. I don't mind eating mostly fat-free, though. It's really not too bad.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You don't have to ask them for that. They'll give it to you anyway! At least they do here.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Going in for GB operation soon. I have yet another question. Can GB disease cause blood in the urine? Just had my pre-op work up and they found traces of blood in my urine (besides a little higher wb cell count) The Doc felt the higher wb cell count was due to the infected GB but had nothing to say about the blood. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
(female)

heatherd83 HB User

No.. not blood in the urine. BUT when I got my US to verify stones, they saw what might be stones in my kidneys which can cause blood in the urine. I have to have a CT scan at the end of October to check. I wonder if there is any link between GB and kidneys? Do you have stones? Did you have an US?

Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherd83 View Post
No.. not blood in the urine. BUT when I got my US to verify stones, they saw what might be stones in my kidneys which can cause blood in the urine. I have to have a CT scan at the end of October to check. I wonder if there is any link between GB and kidneys? Do you have stones? Did you have an US?
I had an US of my gallbladder but I think that's all.
Sounds like that could be a possibility. Thanks, I will definitely ask.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
(female)

angaustinbrody HB User

After I had my first REALLY REALLY bad gallbladder attack I had blood in my urine. I went to the emergency room four times over the next week and had blood in my urine everytime. About 1 1/2 weeks after my bad attack there was no more blood in my urine. Also had ketones in my urine so the doctor thought it was possibly related to some dehydration.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-01-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #15
(female)

Lady221 HB User

Thanks at least I know there is someone out there that has had this. It's been really worrying me. Mine has been off and on also.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-01-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Closed Thread