It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

Kneedragon76 HB User
Are these symptoms of a clogged bile duct?

Maybe something else?

I don't have the incredible pain and nausea that some people talk about but the bloating and gurgling definitely as well as light colored stools and undigested food. Most of my gas happens after sleeping. I have been to a doctor and they found nothing with a CT scan and several blood samples. I found Ibuprofen helps the pressure I feel in my right side rib cage but don't want to mess up my liver any more than it already may be. The most annoying aspect is ichy skin. If I touch my skin which is fairly irritated by this i break out in ichy welts.

A natural doctor told me I likely had a clogged bile duct and was allergic to milk.. I cut that out of my diet but it is still persisting. I eat very healthy rarely eat out and most of what I cook is whole foods. I have all but cut red meat out but the little I did eat upset my stomach and avoid greasy food.

Based on what I have read about backed up bile and enzymes it can lead to bigger things like liver disease.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kneedragon76; 10-04-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Are these symptoms of a clogged bile duct?

Your symptoms sound like you have a diseased gallbladder.

Everybody's symptoms are a bit different, but bloating, gurgling sounds from the abdomen, pale stools, pain under the right ribs are common gallbladder symptoms. Other common symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, pain in the right shoulder, pain in the back. Less common may include itchy skin, pain under the left ribs, panic attacks, heart palpitations, etc.

If the stones totally block the ducts leading out of the gallbladder, then yes it would be a clogged bile duct. Usually when the stones lodge in the ducts you will have tremendous pain and a medical emergency. Totally blocked ducts would also lead to jaundice where you turn yellow.

I would look for a new doctor. The most appropriate tests for gallbladder disease are an ultrasound scan which can detect stones and thickening of the gallbladder walls. The definitive test for gallbladder function is the HIDA scan with CCK.

I would certainly try a no fat diet as this will mean the gallbladder won't contract as often--it usually contracts due to fat being detected in the digestive system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there one of my relatives was diagnosed with gallstones by an ultrasound it was a rather large stone and the doctor said it probably would not truly cause a real problelm since it was too big to go down the duct. He said the problem would be if a smaller stone formed later and got stuck in there then he could die. He uses mint leaves to ameliorate his pain and sometimes a heating pad. The last time he got an attack and was complaining about the fact that he still had pain anyway in spite of all his measures I suggested we pray and he stop using junk food such as potato chips, creme horns, cakes and donuts. I told him to lay on his back and then try putting his buttock up in the air a bit with a stiff body to prevent a bend in the body to prevent the stone from moving back up the duct back into the gall bladder. A few minutes later he reported relief. Did the doctor check the liver itself?

Last edited by sjb; 10-05-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

NotorDJP HB User

If you are at the pale stool and itchy skin stage, and this is GB disease, your pancreas might now be involved. You need to get a HIDA scan of your GB right away. Pancreatitis, which you can go into if your duct is clogged and you aren't getting digestive juices to go through can be a life threatening problem.

I would get checked asap!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
(male)

Kneedragon76 HB User

I'm confused...
I'm 35 6'4" and 210 lbs which is a healthy weight. I eat very healthy too, no fast food and very little greasy food. I do like a good steak and drink moderately.

Does any of this add up?

As for my stools they have been consistantly soft but I'm eating prunes to aid digestion. They are brown, just not a dark brown. This week I was feeling much better till I ate a Burger (no cheese) and fries yesterday. Today I feel bloated again with more gurgling and it had all but stopped for the last 3-4 days. For the record I have not lost any weight nor have I lost my appetite.

This has been going on for about 2-3 months. These days there is more pressure than pain in my right side. What is the reason for the gurgling in my chest.

Last edited by Kneedragon76; 10-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

[QUOTE=Kneedragon76;4340507]I'm confused...
I'm 35 6'4" and 210 lbs which is a healthy weight. I eat very healthy too, no fast food and very little greasy food. I do like a good steak and drink moderately.

Does any of this add up?

As for my stools they have been consistantly soft but I'm eating prunes to aid digestion. They are brown, just not a dark brown. This week I was feeling much better till I ate a Burger (no cheese) and fries yesterday. Today I feel bloated again with more gurgling and it had all but stopped for the last 3-4 days. For the record I have not lost any weight nor have I lost my appetite.

I see you have symptoms after burger and fries I am sure if it were my husband he would likely get a gallstone attack.

This has been going on for about 2-3 months. These days there is more pressure than pain in my right side. What is the reason for the gurgling in my chest.

I wonder if when they did the cat scan they could visualize your diaphram and how high the bowel goes...I wonder if the sensations in your upper bowel merely echo upward like a ripple in a pond?

Last edited by sjb; 10-06-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
(male)

Kneedragon76 HB User

UPDATE: 6 months +/- Now

Still have pain and gas in the morning with regular bloating. Very seldom have a normal stool, but ever 5-7 days I have a Huge BM soft and bordering on diarrhea after getting really full stomach feeling and lots of gurgling/sloshing. After that I feel fine for 2-3 days.

My itchy skin has been persistant for the last 4-5 months, but seems to be relative to getting enough sleep unil Fiday when i got frustrated and went to drug store and bought some Zirtech (sp?). Its a weekend and my skin doen't bother me as much on weekends when active and not sitting at a computer 10 hrs a day. However my feeling is that the itching is all but gone... Allergies / Stress???? maybe just alergic to work!

Gull Stones didn't show up in recent MRI or CT scan.
Radioligist said before doing MRI that it was very unlikly that there was anything wrong with my Gull Blatter since my pain typically happened in the morning she hinted at (STOMACH ULCERS)

okay - so lets say my 60hr work week, 3 young kids, distain for the curent president and his ******** policies got me all worked up and all of this is stress related.

HOW DO I FIX STOMACH ULCERS? Bloating and Pain make since but why do i get so gassy at night?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I agree with the others that you should have a HIDA scan. It will test for level of function. And they can test to see if you have ulcers. That diet is a bland one. The one for gallbladder is a non fat one. SO these as 2 entirely different issues with entirely different diets. I'd find out one way or the other for sure.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I have made other posts on other threads for fixing it. I would also avoid ibuprofen that causes stomach pain and zirtech also has a side effect of stomach pain. I would not eat late at night since a doctor once said when you lay down the nerve to the stomach shuts off. According to what I have learned this would have the effect of letting the food in the stomach ferment from bacteria in there and the bacteria let off gas in their activity. The fact that the doctor thinks there is an ulcer may be correct because ibuprofen is not a healthy substance. I suspect it may also erode places further down the bowel also.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Kneedragon76 (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
(male)

Kneedragon76 HB User

I'm very reluctant to use medicine/drugs. I'm also very sparing in using Ibuprofen especially because i'm aware they can cause stomach problems so I didn't want to use them to treat this. Most of the time I just take Papaya and drink peppermint tea during the day but at night I can pretty much expect to wake up between 3am and 5am with an upset stomach, bloating, pain, & gas. Some times I get lucky though. Is there a better anti-inflamitory? Is there a better way to treat the acid reflux? Currently taking Prilosec occasionally and tums somewhat frequently..

Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

HI I know someone who uses cherries and pineapple for their anti-inflammatory properties and a doctor once told me that turmeric is an anti-inflammatory. I would never stuff the stomach.
If a person is not hungry it is said they should wait to eat until they are and leave 5 hours between meals without even so much as a particle of food for a snack.

If a person is having trouble after vomiting the health professionals in the past have said the first step is nothing by mouth for a few hours. Later water as tolerated or other clear liquids. Later full liquids that a person can't see through are added (I would use fresh juices from the real food not the bottle boxed or refrigerated type diluted cabbage juice might be added at this time in my opinion). Then a soft diet and then later a regular diet as tolerated. Tums in the past only seemed to make a bigger uphill battle for the stomach to replace the acid for some people. If heartburn is suffered a glass of water may dilute the acid.

I would always use just enough food to maintain weight if a peron is normal weight. I would avoid grease of all kinds. I would use cold pressed oils in cooking if that is appropriate for weight and even then not for a sore stomach usually. Olives are said to be soothing (and laxative). The nih government site says prilosec may cause stomach pain as a side effect.

Closed Thread