It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

someguy81 HB User
Gallbladder polyps found -- should I take it out?

Hello,

I found out yesterday that my gallbladder has several polyps -- the largest being around 8-9 mm in size. My doctor suggested that it be surgically removed. I did some looking around on the web and it is recommended that it be taken out when it is bigger than 10mm (or 1cm). I suggested that I repeat another ultrasound in 6 months to see if there is a change in size and if it gets bigger, then I just remove it. My doctor agreed.

The thing is, I don't experience any abdominal pain nor have I ever experienced having any gallstones. None of these polyps would have been found if it wasn't for a routine check-up. My only concern about these polyps is the tendency to lead to cancer. My doctor said that they don't know the likelihood that it will even lead to cancer, but he said that the larger the polyp, the higher the tendency. He did mention that gallbladder cancer is quite rare and he doesn't really know the likelihood that I'll even get it.

Anyway, I'm slightly worried about taking it out even though my dad went through the same thing about 20 years ago. He is relatively healthy and in good shape, but he does have an issue with bad breath. I'm not sure if this is caused by the gallbladder (or lack thereof). Could someone here who has taken theirs out please tell me if it has affected their breath?

What are the pros and cons that I remove it? What if I don't?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gallbladder polyps found -- should I take it out?

I had mine out due to gallstones 6 years ago. No problems since. The problem with the polyps is mainly that they can become painful. When we ingest fat, the gb produces bile to digest the fat and spews it into the digestive tract by contracting. The contracting onto gallstones or polyps is what causes the pain. Since stones are spiney, they hurt much more - the polyps not so much. And they both can damage the gb -- scratching it, etc - when it constricts.

Now, gb cancer is rare but the polyps could lead to it. I think waiting 6 months then doing an ultrasound to see if there is any change would be OK. If anything has changed, I'd jerk it out right then. And of course, try to eat low fat in the meantime and track any changes in bowel movements, etc.

As for the bad breath, I doubt it's related. I don't know of anyone who's had theirs out that has complained of that. Usually, if you don't eat fat free for the first few weeks afterwards you can have diarhhea, etc but never heard anything on bad breath.

Hope things turn out OK...come back here any time...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
(male)

someguy81 HB User

What if it's not causing me pain or discomfort? Is it still worthwhile to remove it?
Thanks.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, at some point it is going to cause you pain because the polyps will eventually get in the way as they grow. But waiting a few months to see shouldn't be a problem. If it starts hurting, then you know to take it out.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
(female)

roxanne546 HB User

I was told the same thing as you. I have a pylop that is 9mm and I am planned for surgery Feb 8. I have no pain and never did. I am afraid it could be cancer or turn into cancer. After reading all these horror stories I am afraid to have the surgery. I am very confused. I am 64 years old and have never had any gastric problems.

Last edited by roxanne546; 01-23-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

I had mine out at 59. You'll be fine. Don't eat any fat for 3-4 weeks and then slowly start in. You'll be fine. It's a very quick procedure! Like drive thru almost.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
(female)

roxanne546 HB User

Thank you I do appreciate your support. The only feeling I have is a slight feeling of tightness on my right side.

Closed Thread