It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User
Question How long were you tired from surgery?

Hi, I am on day nine of a successful gallbladder removal. How long after surgery was it until you did not feel so tired? I feel much better, but am just tired all the time. I am not supposed to do much still and will be seen for my follow up with the surgeon on this coming Tuesday. I am just curious, as I am looking forward to having a little energy .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long were you tired from surgery?

As for me, maybe a week. I was off work 2-1/2 days (went in for 1/2 day the 3rd day after surgery, came home at lunch and napped on the sofa). After that, I worked full time and I jogged 2 miles a week after having it out. Now, I have to tell you that I was VERY active beforehand. I jogged normally 2 miles 4 times a week and went to the gym for weight work 2 times a week. For about a month before the surgery, I added at least a 1/2 mile to my runs and an extra day per week. So I was in really great shape in anticipation of the surgery. I wanted to be sure I could get back to jogging very quickly afterwards. I think that was the key.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow! Was your gallbladder surgery planned? I had been sick off and on for 7 years and ended up in the er and had surgery 2 days later because it had quit working and was inflammed and had scarring. I don't know if this is why it is taking me longer to get back my energy or if I am just a slow healer...lol! That is awesome you were literally up and running so quickly!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Oh yes. It was planned. A month in advance but I had known for several months what the problem was. I was just trying to avoid having it out during the holidays and other events. Sorry yours was so different.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
(female)

Run262 HB User

Mim,
I'm 10 days post op today (1/17); and I can't complain about being tired; however, I imagine that your circumstances surrounding your surgery would cause you to still be tired more than others. Your body was battling and having to deal with a really bad gallbladder. Don't worry so much, it'll come back, it's just going to take a little longer for your body to recover.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Run, I think that is what is going on also. I did wake up feeling a little bit less run down today and think that eating more protein and continuing to take my vitamins will help eventually. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
(female)

ljs HB User

mim

Glad to hear of some improvement. Hopefully it will improve more quickly over the next few days.

My surgery was planned, about six weeks beforehand, and my health was otherwise pretty good when I went in. So I'm surprised how run down I'm still feeling. That said, I managed to get through today without a nap, which seems to be progress.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I read your other update ljs, sorry you are having tummy troubles, me too...
It is the first time for me, but I think it is related to my period starting. I went to see the surgeon today for a follow up and tried not to lose my mind while I was kept in the waiting room for an hour and then the "cube" of an examining room for another 45 minutes. I Hate waiting forever!! lol! He breezed in and I told him I could have emailed him pics...he laughed and said oh no! I need to examine the surgery areas...well he looked and said ok, well they do look fine! and left....geeze...3 minutes of looking, 1 hr and 45 minutes of waiting...sigh. Anyway, at least a good report, but after the 2 hour round trip of traveling I did crash and burn for about an hour til family pulling on me for food and attention got me up. Hang in there, hopefully we will both be on the mend for good soon!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
(female)

ljs HB User

Mim

I don't envy all the time you spent waiting to see your surgeon. I am originally from the US and that's something I don't miss at all. Not that it hasn't happened here but at least it's not standard practice everywhere you go. I'm sure my appointment will take about the same time as yours though. I think I might have been in there seven minutes the first time and that's probably being generous. My follow up isn't until the 3rd so I should be just fine by that time.

I hope your family will give you some time to rest...probably slowing your recovery down if you're still having take care of everyone. Fortunately my kids are old enough to mostly look after themselves and my hubby has taken over a lot too.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am starting to feel a lot more energy now, but do find about mid day I get really wiped out then a couple of hours later I get a second wind . I am starting to tackle the pile of laundry my son has just piddled with so will see how that goes! Thank goodness for planned naps! LOL!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
(female)

ljs HB User

That's very good to hear. It probably won't be much longer until you're feeling normal again. Yesterday I was feeling pretty good in the morning although I did end up with a bit of a nap anyway. Finally got out of the house on my own in the afternoon for two hours and was really tired when I got home. I only went to the library and then to the grocery store, which are both close to home, but was really exhausted when I got home. Even the driving was tiring, which really surprised me. Guess I'm getting there but not quite that fast.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #12
(female)

Off2cWorld HB User

]

Hi, I felt good the second and third day after coming home.....then I slid backward and felt more sore from the incisions. I was back to work 10 days after surgery----still felt sore, like I did too many situps, and I was very tired after a full day of work.

A month later, I felt 100% and the best part was that I could finally sleep on my stomach again!

Last edited by Administrator; 03-30-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was fortunate in that the soreness was not really my main issue. I just was so tired. It will be a month this Friday, and after a lot of research I think I have pinned down why it is taking me so long to bounce back energy wise. I have a tbi, and this is the 2nd surgery since I got it. The first surgery was a spinal fusion about a month after I had been assaulted. It took about 3 months to really feel like myself after that and the docs told me a lot of that was how my brain reacts to anesthesia and prescriptions now as well as the trauma fallout. I believe the main reason I am still slug like is the anesthesia and prescriptions I have to take daily that have slowed me up. Thankfully I am really feeling so much better, but now deal with the dumping syndrome that I understand is quite common after removal of the gallbladder. Take care!

The following user gives a hug of support to mim:
ljs (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
(female)

ljs HB User

I finally had my post-op check with the surgeon yesterday and everything is fine. I mentioned the tiredness and he said, curiously that's an issue he hears about mostly with gallbladder surgery patients.

My general physical tiredness seems to be gone but I'm struggling with a bit of mental lethargy of sorts. I did try starting back to a light exercise routine and found I had far less physical stamina, but it did help the mental health. After a couple of days I woke up with top of the foot pain of unknown cause which worsened when bearing weight. Despite rest, ice, etc, it's hurting enough nearly a week later that it will probably need further attention. Fortunately most of the lethargy has lifted so perhaps that bit of exercise made a difference.

Off2cWorld, I am just at the point where I can stand being on my stomach for a few minutes. Luckily I don't sleep on my stomach much, but turning in my sleep is now less uncomfortable.

Mim, hopefully you are right about the reasons for the extended tiredness and just need more time to fully recover. It's a shame you are having to deal with the dumping syndrome on top of that. Take care.

Last edited by ljs; 02-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
(female)

mice2000 HB User

Had gallbladder removed on Wed 27/7/11 still feeling very tired.How long does this go on for.

Closed Thread