It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
(male)

alveolar21 HB User
Question Went in for a colonoscopy, came out with LUQ pain

UPDATE: April 17th 2011

I had a colonoscopy in early 2010 due to blood in my stool. It turned out to be hemorrhoids. The doctor stated that I was "squirming through the procedure," and that I "nearly jumped off the table" at one point. As soon as I woke up, I had pain in my left side, under the bottom left rib. The pain persisted, I went back to the doctor and they recommended I get a CT scan and blood work. Everything came back normal. It was then stated I should I have an endoscopy. I then had an endoscopy with another doctor, it too, the initial results were normal while the biopsies were sent to pathology. The doctor then stated "there is nothing else I can do for you." I have never had pain in my left abdominal area, until the colonoscopy. The tests were normal. I do not feel sick, I do not have any blood in the stool or any other symptoms at this time.

Not sure where to go, I decided to see some surgeons about the issue. One surgeon recommended I get a HIDA scan with CCK, even though my pain was in the LUQ. Prior to the test, I have never had pain on my right side. After the scan, I had RUQ pain for awhile constantly, it did go away somewhat; however, if I twist or contort my body the right side hurts. When I spoke to the surgeon about it, he said he has never heard of anyone having RUQ pain constantly after a HIDA/CCK. So now I have LUQ pain from the colonoscopy (and RUQ pain from the HIDA/CCK if I put pressure where my gallbladder is located). The ejection fraction was 22% it was low; however, from the many (6) surgeons I have seen, four say they would not want to remove the gallbladder, while the other two (part of the same group) want to remove the gallbladder.

Has anyone else had a HIDA/CCK test and then have RUQ pain afterwards? Can a HIDA/CCK test kill a gallbladder, or overwhelm a failing one?

One or two months later after the pathology came back from the endoscopy, the pathology revealed I have chronic gastritis, I've never had any LUQ pain before in my life, prior to the colonoscopy. In addition, I also had blood work to test for H. Pylori, it was negative. Now, more than 1 year later, the gastritis continues, in addition, sometimes when I bend over to tie my shoes or if I lie on my left side at 'just the right angle' I will feel stabbing pains on the left side, even when taking PPIs for the gastritis. I've asked for a diagnostic laparoscopy but surgeons seem to be reluctant to perform the procedure. If you were in this situation what would you do?

Would you have your gallbladder removed and while in there, they could look at the left upper quadrant? Or try to find a surgeon (out-of-state?) who would perform a diagnostic laparoscopy? I'd hate to get the gallbladder removed and have both the LUQ and RUQ pain remain or get worse; however, I am very tired living with this pain, aside from work, I do not want to go anywhere, do anything or meet anyone, it is ruining my life. What would you do in my situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User
Re: Went in for a colonoscopy, came out with LUQ pain

While RUQ pain is very common with a diseased gallbladder, LUQ can also occur. I certainly had it under the ribs on both sides, it got so bad that I had to sleep on my back. Other common symptoms include pain in the right shoulder, pain in the back, diarrhea, pale stool, tenderness over the gallbladder area, etc.

There are reports of people experiencing pain/discomfort after a HIDA scan. The CCK causes the gallbladder to contract and if there are stones, etc it can create pain. An ejection fraction of 22% would normally indicate that removal of the gallbladder may be appropriate.

What you describe as gastritis is probably also related to the gallbladder. While PPI's can provide relief, (they certainly did for me) at least one study indicates that they may weaken contractions of the gallbladder and over time worsen the situation.

Because the gallbladder surgery is usually done by laproscopy on the right side they can't really do exploratory surgery on the left side for a look. The removal of the gallbladder will usually resolve the issues, however if you read these boards there are a few folks 10-15% who continue to have problems.

In the meantime, eat a fat free diet. It won't cure the problem, but the gallbladder won't try to contract as often which should ease some pain.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
(male)

alveolar21 HB User

Thank you for your very detailed reply, it is very helpful.
If I may ask, if you had a cholecystectomy, how did yours go?

Yes, I've read a lot of problems people have had after they get the gallbladder removed, it seems hard to find any good 'success' stories after it is removed.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alveolar21 View Post
Thank you for your very detailed reply, it is very helpful.
If I may ask, if you had a cholecystectomy, how did yours go?

Yes, I've read a lot of problems people have had after they get the gallbladder removed, it seems hard to find any good 'success' stories after it is removed.
Man, I could tell you some stories of what happened to me and the pain I go through - it is a book with plenty of chapters of how my life went downhill after my cholecystectomy.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had mine out 5 years ago and have had no problems from it. Life is much better without the danged thing!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

I still have my gallbladder. I have been taking Ursodiol for three years under the direction of my gastro Dr. This medicine dissolves stones. However, it is rather expensive and is probably delaying the inevitable. It can be especially useful for the elderly or folks who are too high risk to undergo surgery.

It is estimated that there are 400,000 to 500,000 surgeries done each year to remove gallbladders in the U.S. As with all medical procedures experience counts, so make sure you have an experienced surgeon.

The estimate is that 15% of people who have their gallbladder removed have some problems afterward. Around 5% continue to have severe problems. It seems that the sicker you are prior to surgery, the higher the chances of problems. So far it sounds like you have avoided the excruciating pain of passing gallstones.

I do not want to minimize the suffering of the 5%, but the internet provides a sounding board for those who have continuing problems. The vast majority who have successful outcomes, simply move on with their lives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Collector167 For This Useful Post:
alveolar21 (04-22-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
(male)

cwoolie HB User

Explain...I had my gallbladder removed last Friday 4/15

Old 04-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
(male)

alveolar21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoolie View Post
Explain...I had my gallbladder removed last Friday 4/15
Why did you get yours removed?
How are you feeling since the operation?
If you had symptoms, have they gone away?

I may look at getting another HIDA scan w/CCK and if my ejection fraction is much lower, e.g. 5-10% then I probably need it out.

I've tried Urso as well, it appears to help the right sided pain but taking it 3 times a day.. I don't like taking pills, 2-3 days after I stopped taking it, the pain on the right side returned. The pain on the left remained unchanged.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The problem with taking meds to dissolve the stones is that they can form again. Not doing anything runs the risk of getting one lodged in the bile duct and then damaging the duct permanently. For low functioning gbs, the problem is that something is causing it to not function - scar tissue, damage, thinkening of the walls of the gb, etc. In those cases - as well as with stones - the gb can become inflamed, then infected and then rupture....which, sadly, can cause death. I simply decided the risks of surgery were lower than the others so I had mine out. The fact that a friend's father had just recently passed away due to a ruptured gb also helped push me towards removal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
alveolar21 (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
(male)

cwoolie HB User

I have been having gastro issues for 15years or so. I have had almost every gastro test possible and nothing was uncovered during those tests except possible hiatel hernia and gerd. 3 years ago I had an ultra sound that did not show stones but sludge in the gallbladder. PCP said that is an issue but gastro Dr said that is normal. Soon after that pain developed in gallbladder area so had the hidascan. This test hurt me quite a bit and took 90minutes to complete. Results came back and showed gallbladder working around 1.36% so barely functioning at all. I went to see surgeon Feb of 2010 and he said based off the hidascan he would recommend removing my gallbladder. I did not schedule surgery and started to feel better. My issue was strange. When I am up and very active in the warm months I did not have very many issues but when winter months hit and I was less active I had more issues. Around Nov of 2010 I started having gallbladder attacks. This is very scary. I felt as if I was having a heart attack. I had one almost 1-2 times a month so March of 2011 I went back to same surgeon and this time scheduled surgery. I am only 7 days since surgery so still trying to recover. I hope to know if my issues have gone away in the coming weeks. I know I will not have another gallbladder attack for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to cwoolie For This Useful Post:
alveolar21 (04-22-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
(male)

alveolar21 HB User
Question Re: Went in for a colonoscopy, came out with LUQ pain

Had a second HIDA SCAN w/CCK, ejection fraction normal (56%) and no pain, glad I had the second test but it makes things more confusing.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
(male)

alveolar21 HB User
Exclamation Re: Went in for a colonoscopy, came out with LUQ pain

Good and bad news:

Good: Recently, I had a diagnostic laparoscopy and an adhesion was found between the colon and the lateral abdominal wall, it was removed and the painful, sharp stabbing pain is now gone.

Bad: Due to the HIDA+CCK scans last year (for the LUQ pain), I still have RUQ pain under the right rib cage; on a scale from 1-10 it is generally a 0-1 while sitting and 4-6 if I lay on my right side, depending on the angle. When jogging, after 1-2 miles the pain will shoot up to 8-9 and 10 if I have to stop running because of it. Iíve had almost every scan and test one can think of: CT, MRCP, EUS, VQ LUNG SCAN ENDOSCOPY, SECOND COLONOSCOPY, ULTRASOUND, all results came back normal. My RUQ does not hurt if I eat fatty foods. From what I can deduce it is either my liver or gallbladder causing this pain. Running out of options, I also went to an acupuncturist, recommended by my PCP; he said my liver was ďtight.Ē I do not drink or smoke and am desperately looking for thoughts or ideas that could lead me to a solution.

Does anyone have _any_ thoughts at all what could be causing this RUQ pain?

Recall:
1. The first CCK injection (which caused EXCRUCIATING pain and then burning for 3-4 weeks after; was injected in 30 seconds) @ 22% ejection fraction rate.
2. The second CCK injection (a few months later) was done by a different nurse/technician who had been doing this procedure for ~20 years; she had stated that 30 seconds was too fast and a normal injection is done over a period over 2 minutes, which is how she did it and the ejection fraction was 56% and I had no pain.

Current situation:
1. With the LUQ pain; prior to the colonoscopy I never had any pain, it turned out to be an adhesion stuck between the colon/lateral abdominal wall, no scan or test showed this problem, it was only at the last resort of surgery that found and removed the adhesion.
2. With the RUQ pain; prior to the HIDA+CCK scan, I never had any pain, I've had almost every test (except ERCP which carries a lot of risk) and the pain has not gone away. During the laparoscopy the RUQ of the abdomen was also searched and no problems were found.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or insight into this issue?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
(female)

Damiawinters HB User

alveolar21, though I don't have any suggestions, I hope that you find your answers soon.

I recently went through the HIDA scan and I had a brief sharp stabbing pain during the CCK as well as nausea and bloating. The nausea could possibly be due to the lack of food or drink for 13 hours (who schedules the HIDA's so late in the day anyway?)

I didn't have any pain after the test but did have RUQ the next day and off and on since then. I don't know how badly I failed yet as the nurse didn't say anything other than the test results were abnormal and it was possibly biliary dyskinesia. So I did have pain just not excruciating.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Wow, this sounds like me but my pain is on right side and gallbladder taken out 2008 - i have never been the same since. I don't want to go out much because I never know when the pain will come back.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
(male)

alveolar21 HB User
Exclamation Re: Went in for a colonoscopy, came out with LUQ pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Wow, this sounds like me but my pain is on right side and gallbladder taken out 2008 - i have never been the same since. I don't want to go out much because I never know when the pain will come back.
Your RUQ pain persisted after the removal? Is it better or worse? If you had to do it over again, would you have left it in? Do doctor's have any idea of what it could be if its no longer the GB? What are your thoughts? Does movement make it better or worse, e.g. if you bend over or stretch does it increase the pain? Or does it only occur while eating?

I'm sorry to hear what happened; however, this information is extremely useful to many people.

Closed Thread