It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
(female)

jwinnings HB User
So much pain after gallbladder surgery?

I understand that they only way to get a true answer is threw a physician but I am curious if anyone can possibly identify what might be wrong with me.

In early April I had my gallbladder removed after finding out through an ultrasound that I had a large gallstone.

I had the laparoscopic surgery preformed on me shortly after finding the gallstone and have been increasingly getting sicker ever since. I was told the surgery went well but everyday I feel weak and sick to the stomach and every night I wake up with severe upper-middle abdominal pain since the surgery six weeks ago.

Since the pain is so severe I have undergone ten blood tests, several urine tests, multible pregnancy tests, three ultrasounds, an endoscopy, three stool culture tests, trials of many medications and countless doctor and hospital visits. These tests found nothing abnormal enough for the doctors I've seen to help me.

I recently spent five days in a big hospital about an hour away from where I live to receive treatment for the pain but was ultimately left with no clear answers and scheduled for more tests to be done on an out-patient basis. I have become very frustrated that my pain has been unanswered and only morphine could calm it down.

During testing the only odd things that they have found (but failed to follow up on) are: an elevated white blood cell level signally some sort of irritation, a "rough" looking liver from what was seen in the ultrasound, a metal clip from the gallbladder surgery that has somehow ended up in my pelvic area(which scares me because I'm allergic to some metals and it's just generally creepy), a thirty pound rapid weight gain, stool backed up somewhat although I am not constipated and finally, an unsual amount of bile sitting in my intestine.

I'm unsure if these complications are any to worry about but I am discouraged that this surgery has made me so sick and no doctor seems to have an answer yet. I can't live my life in this much pain and I can't help but wonder if my surgeon made a mistake. I would really appreciate your thoughts on my condition. Maybe it's something I'm just not thinking of!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: So much pain after gallbladder surgery?

the very first thing you need to do on monday is call the hosp where you had that surgery, and ask for the medical records dept(they will send you out a release to sign and send back) so you can obtain ALL of your medical records from that surgery, including what are called "op notes' too(very critical since these are the overall transcript of what took place during YOUR particular surgery made BY your surgeon). and make certain to specifically ask for EVERY single document IN whats your central file, and indicate specific 'op notes' too. the hosp knows what these are. this will at least give you more info about that surgery specifically than you have now.

have they followed up looking at what was referred to as a 'rough looking liver' with at least a contrasted CT or cholangiogram? or an MR cholangiogram? if not, they NEED to find out just why you liver even 'looks' the way it does since most are smooth in texture? i have both a kidney and liver disease and get VERY regular ultrasounds and my liver, depite having systs growing in and outside it,strill refers to it as 'smooth' in testure, so something with your liver is simply not at all 'right' and needs to be found out.

have your overall liver labs been withi the norm range at all or is ANY of them still out? this is kind of the norm following the type of surgery you had, and can last longer or shorter depending. but the fact this IS combined with the explanation of the liver testure, that MR cholangio OR even MRI or CT simply NEEDS to be done. i recently had to have the MR cholangoio myself only becasue all my bile ducts were very enlarged. still do not know why, but it DOES show the inner and outter liver very well.

and the fact that your surgical clip is simply no longer "clipping off' what it WAS supposed to be clipping DOES need some further more in depth looking into too. that could be responsible for the bile issue among other things since the GB creates and lets out the bile into that upper GI too? it sounds like from what you described here that the clip may be a part of the more underlying problems you are having. it NEEDS to be removed from where it is now so it does not 'migrate" into an area that just can compromise in many different ways, other organ function or create other issues since its kind of 'free floating' in there?

have you been seeing an actual GI doc or only what sounds like a rather idiotic surgeon here? there are just quite a few things in your case that just do NOT at all sound the 'norm' for genbral post op GB surgery. my best friend just went thru that hell like a year and a half ago and it did take quite a while before her labns finallystabilized and she just could eat and feel 'normal too? but your situation really IS so not the norm here and you do need some in depth testing ON that liver for certain. among other things.

if you do not already have every single copy of any and all testing done on you, i would very highly advise you to get every single test and lab result NOW. you can also obtain ALL of your post op records from the surgeons office by just calling that office and doing what i mentioned re the hosp records too? everyone simply does have the right to copies of their own records and any test results as well. you just really DO need this stuff so YOU have it and can read thru it all to find out too what you have NOT yet been told too. surgeons esp do not tell patients alot about their own surgeries or overall conditions either for some sick reason. i have undergone six seperate surgeries and can attest to THAT one myself, and ESP when the patient is having ANY real poist op complications since this just does not make them 'look good'.

but DO push to try and ontain that MR cholangiogram hon, it WILL show much more than an ultrasound. the US result showing anything BUT a smooth in texture liver IS a good solid reason for any doc to simply have to order some follow up testing to just find out what is generating that 'rough look'. its simply NOT the norm for most people.

but do start making some calls on monday to anyplace that did testing on you for your own copies of the reports that got done(you can also go directly to the facilitys that did your tests too and get copies much more quickly). and also that hosp, along with either contacting your surgeon re that MR chole or even your primary or if you are seeing a GI doc, ask them. if you are NOT yet seeing a good knowledgabele GI doc, i would very highly recommend it NOW too. they will help in getting to the bottom of the overall issues you are having. esp if your surgeon is dropping that ball on your care here. and someone needs to find out why that clip came off and what the consequences of it mean for you and the GI, along with what its capabilitys just are having it floating around. that IS an odd one for certain considering how the abdominal is also encased within its own membrane too? i am wondering just how it penetrated THAT alone, ya know? but good luck and DO plaese keep me posted hon. FB

Closed Thread