It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

thatguy0123 HB User
Abnormal ultrasound and normal HIDA

For nearly two years, I've slowly become no longer tolerate foods that I could eat. Fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, corn, sugar cane and others. Even brushing my teeth, with toothpaste, or even without it, makes my stomach hurt a lot. About a month ago the pain was so bad I went to the ER and the doctor performed an ultrasound and found a small polyp as well as sludge/gallstones. He also put me on Carafate and Pantopazole, the Panto seems to do nothing while the Carafate seems to help a little, or at least make the pain somewhat bearable. So my gastro told me to get a HIDA scan and I got the results, which were normal. I'm very confused as to what this all means. Can I still have a bad gallbladder if the HIDA is normal but there is sludge/gallstones? Would the HIDA have been abnormal if I had eaten something that really made my stomach hurt? Are gallstones/sludge triggered by food or are they always present in your gallbladder if it's malfunctioning? I'm so tired of the pain and anxiety and I wish the doctor would give me a definitive answer. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Abnormal ultrasound and normal HIDA

When you say your HIDA was "normal", was that what they told you? Did they tell you your score? Anything below 35% or above 75% is considered abnormal. Often people don't realize a really high score is bad. I'd ask for more specific information.

That being said, sludge and polyps can cause some of these issues. However I question whether that is the whole answer since some of the foods that bother you have nothing to do with the gb. The gb helps to digest fat so problems with toothpaste, fruit, veggies, sugar cane would not have anything to do with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
(male)

thatguy0123 HB User
Re: Abnormal ultrasound and normal HIDA

The nurse just said it was normal, she didn't give me the number but I will ask. Also foods high in fat do give me digestive problems. Like a piece of meat high in fat or putting too much olive oil on something. If something has too much fat it makes my stomach hurt a lot and gives me diarrhea.

Closed Thread