It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

nylady34 HB User
Surgery for Gallstones

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have several small gallstones and had a painful attack once in February 2011, and since then just dull pain on the right side, lower back pain at night mainly where its hard for me to turn to the side while laying down, but I'm ok during the day. I had ultrasounds and they revealed the stones. I do have an overall unwell feeling most of the time, tired, no energy and just cramping, a little left shoulder pain. Are these gallbladder symptoms? I am on effexor which I try to come off of, which gave me extreme naseau and vomiting. So now take it daily 35 mg. Could this med be covering my gb symptoms? My Dr says its important I have my gallbladder removed, so I'm scheduled for surgery this Thursday. After reading so many negative things about life after gallbladder removal I am really considering canceling surgery. More pain after, and weight gain? Is this true?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

nylady34 HB User
Re: Surgery for Gallstones

Anyone? My surgery is Thursday hoping for some input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

No, there is no pain afterwards and no weight gain. I don't know where you found that but it's not correct. Hundreds of thousands of gb are removed every year...most without any side effects. I was 59 when I had mine out and I jogged 2 miles a week later. Almost 7 years later I weight within 5 pounds of what I weighed then. Eat anything I want. I also don;t have to worry about it rupturing and killing me. It does happen - a friend's father died from it. So, just go have it out. Walk as much as you can after (helps with the healing and disipating the gas they inflate you with) and eat no fat for 3-4 weeks. You'll be fine.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

nylady34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
No, there is no pain afterwards and no weight gain. I don't know where you found that but it's not correct. Hundreds of thousands of gb are removed every year...most without any side effects. I was 59 when I had mine out and I jogged 2 miles a week later. Almost 7 years later I weight within 5 pounds of what I weighed then. Eat anything I want. I also don;t have to worry about it rupturing and killing me. It does happen - a friend's father died from it. So, just go have it out. Walk as much as you can after (helps with the healing and disipating the gas they inflate you with) and eat no fat for 3-4 weeks. You'll be fine.
Thanks so much for your response. I just worry to much. I have lower back pain and was unsure if that was enough to have it removed?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The amount of pain you are having is pretty irrelevant. What is relevant is the condition of the gb. Yours is most likely shot. Have it out.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
(female)

nylady34 HB User

My hida scan was normal and blood test came back normal as well. Just have a UTI and the light cramping, with back pain

Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Gallstones are spiney. When the gb constricts to spew the bile to digest fat, it clamps down and the spines are what cause the pain. They scratch and cut the inside of the gb, damaging it so it doesn't function properly. Eventually,it can be come infected and then rupture. You are doing the right thing by having it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
nylady34 (11-09-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
(female)

aannq HB User

I have been reading this thread, as I too am having my gall bladder removed. Surgery is Thursday, Nov. 17th. The ultrasound found stones, and my surgeon says a hidascan isn't necessary. I have been having minor attacks for years now, and just attributed it to bad gas. Just haven't felt well for a long time - no energy, dizziness, gas and bloating, gurgling stomach, general flu-like symptoms. Had a bad attack two weeks ago - it lasted for about 2 hours and I literally held onto a counter for 2 hours because I thought I would pass out. It hurt too much to lay down, so there I stood. Finally diagnosed with gb. Concerned about post-gb surgery symptoms, but I can't live like this anymore, so I'm biting the bullet and getting it done.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
(female)

nylady34 HB User

Hi, I just had my gallbladder removed on Thursday, and surgery wasn't that bad, just make sure u request pain medication as soon as you are awake, to avoid soreness, and then every 4 hrs after that. So far I'm feeling fine, and the Dr said the gallbladder was diseased after pulling it out. My symptoms were lower back pain and I had an attack which lasted several hours in February. So far I've been eating very lightly and I'm feeling fine

Old 11-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
(female)

nylady34 HB User

Hi, I just had my gallbladder removed on Thursday, and surgery wasn't that bad, just make sure u request pain medication as soon as you are awake, to avoid soreness, and then every 4 hrs after that. So far I'm feeling fine, and the Dr said the gallbladder was diseased after pulling it out. My symptoms were lower back pain and I had an attack which lasted several hours in February. So far I've been eating very lightly and I'm feeling fine

Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
(female)

aannq HB User

Thanks for your reply. Were you able to get it done laparoscopically or did they have to do the open? I'm concerned because I have had many abdominal surgeries and the surgeon said there would probably be lots of scar tissue so she'll try to work around it, but it sounds like I'll probably have to have the open version. I hope not, but it is what it is. Please let me know how you do long-term.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
(female)

nylady34 HB User

I had mine done by lap, this was first surgery I've ever had. So far I have had chicken corn soup first 2 days then , chicken and rice bland, and egg whites with whole wheat, and I'm doing fine. Even had my first bowel movement today. Still sore which is expected.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
(female)

aannq HB User

Cool! Sounds like you're doing great. I never knew how pathetic my life had become until I so looked forward to a bowel movement after all my surgeries! I'll touch base once my surgery is over with (can't wait). Hopefully you'll still be doing great - hope that's in the cards for me as well.

Closed Thread