It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

abusetheuser HB User
Concerned :(

Alright so just recently I started having some pain under my right rib cage, and sometimes It would go up to my right shoulder. Usually after I ate fatty foods but not everytime. Doctor ordered an ultrasound, said it looked normal but due to some fatty whatever, hes ordered an HIDI infraction test...

Am I going to have to have my Gallbladder out? From all the horror stories I've read about life after Gallbladder removal, I'm really freaking out.

I travel around the world (backpacking) many times there are no bathrooms around, or I don't have the ability to watch what I eat. Sometimes fatty foods are the only things that are around.

What concerns me even more is Bile Salts Diarrhea, that would put an end to all of my traveling and backpacking (basically my life) I would'nt be able to take a pill daily either to counter it. Some places don't allow you to bring medication in and medication is hard to take when your climbing a mountain.

That's not a chance I can take.

I already have IBS, Acid Reflux, and Candida Issues and those are hard enough to deal with. Right now pain isn't awful or bad or even frequent enough to bring myself into an ER, but it can get inconvienient.

Also I can't stop drinking alcohol. I have a show where I drink alcohol on it, its only once every few months to the point of getting super drunk, but a necessity for the show.

Are there any choices out there besides surgery ?

If it matters, I weight 264, down from 290. 27 year old male. Still considered Obese.

Last edited by abusetheuser; 01-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Concerned :(

Where do people get the idea you can't drink alcohol without a gallbladder? Anyway, I had mone out 7 years ago and am fine. Eat whatever I want. Be sure to eat low to no fat for now and the first 3 or so weeks after having it out. You'll be fine. Losing weight would be good - and getting rid of the pain. Look at the plus side not the negative!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
(male)

abusetheuser HB User

I am glad you are doing well, but it seems with all the horror stories and people who wish they hadn't had theirs removed makes me think that if at all possible i need to do whatever I can to keep myself from having surgery. Seems bad situations aren't all that uncommon. Seems many people get worse

I just had my last fatty meal before starting a low fat diet tomorrow, no pains or anything. It doesn't happen everytime and it's not as bad as many peoples but if that HIDA test shows I have to have it removed and I'm one of the people who get Bile Diarrhea salts, i could probably kiss my life as I know it goodbye.

But you do fine with alcohol? I know it sounds weird, but I dont drink often, I hate it generally, but I get sloshed every few months for my show being as that I'm one of the stars on it, I suppose if need be, I could replace myself, but what is the fun in that?

Last edited by abusetheuser; 01-11-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Where on earth are you getting all this incorrect information? Since the gallbladder helps to digest fat, how could alcohol have anything to do with it? You cannot believe everything you read online. People who have good outcomes have NO reason to come here...they have nothing to complain about. Talk with your surgeon/doctor. Approx 1% of people who have their gb removed continue to have issues. That's a darned good percentage. I dare say you know plenty of people who have had good outcomes but you don't knowit because they have no need to talk about it. I know plenty of people who have and only 1 has an issue - and she refused to eat no fat after the surgery so I'm sure that's part of her problem.

look at it this way, if it is damaged and you don't have it removed, you may die in one of these places you travel to when it ruptures and there is no proper medical care. If the thing is not functioning properly, that means it is damaged....sick...possibly infected. You need to have it out if that is the case. You need to weigh the real information and real possibilities.

Last edited by Titchou; 01-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
(male)

Collector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB UserCollector167 HB User

It sounds very likely that you have gallbladder disease. A large weight loss over a short time can lead to gallbladder disease. Why? The liver is releasing extra cholesterol and bile as you lose weight. Sucks to be punished for doing the right thing! Early gallbladder disease is frequently misdiagnosed as IBS.

If they did not see any stones on the ultrasound, it is most likely that you have "sludge", small microcrystals--kinda like sand that collect in the gallbladder and will eventually from stones. The ultrasound has a hard time picking this this up. Imagine your gallbladder as a bag filled with sand and trying to contract. Let us know how the HIDA scan turns out.

There is a medicine, Ursodiol/actigall that is given to dissolve sludge and stones. However, like everything in life there is a downside. It is expensive and after treatment most people have recurrence of gallstones. It seems once you have the problem you're stuck with it, until the gallbladder is removed.

Gallbladder surgery is very common, over 400,000 a year are done in the US. The key is make sure you have an experienced surgeon. Yes, we can all find stories about surgeries that have gone wrong, but they are pretty rare.

About 10% of people have medium term problems after surgery, another 5% have long term continuing problems. The ones who have the most problems are usually the sickest to start with, they have passed multiple stones that damaged the ducts, etc.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

seagoinya HB User

I just had my GB surgery 1.9.12 and only wish I had the procedure years ago. My HIDA scans (I had 2) showed a low refraction number 14 and that my GB was non functioning. I did not have stones or sludge. Because I stubbornly waited so long for my procedure my surgeon said I had numerous adhesion's to the liver and small intestines. I already feel better than I have in years. The post-op pain was livable considering what I put up for years. I anticipate a great total recovery and most people do.

Closed Thread