It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Gallbladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

brookiecookie HB User
Had gallbladder surgery 4 days ago. Will I ever feel normal again?

I had my gallbladder out Friday night due to gallstones and an "unhappy" gallbladder. That's what my surgeon said. Since then I've been on percocet, which made me really constipated, so this morning I took 2 Dulcolax and now I have diarrhea. I am scared I am never going to feel better I've been eating very lowfat.....soup, crackers, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal. My back is killing me because I haven't been able to sleep on my side or tummy due to my incisions. The one in my belly button is starting to bruise and I just feel so BLOATED, gassy, and gross. I am sick of laying in bed and being stuck inside. I know it takes time to recover...but how long? Will my digestion ever be normal again?

I am scared of leaving my house and I am scared to eat anything. Please somebody, tell me it gets better. I am going back to work on the 30th...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Had gallbladder surgery 4 days ago. Will I ever feel normal again?

Well, the dulcolax wasn't the brightest idea! I know it's a bummer to be constipated but a mild stool softener at the most would have been better. And stop with the applesauce. Do people not realize apples are for constipation? No raw vegetables and no raw fruit. The soup should be fat free - so just chicken soup only. A plain turkey or chicken breast sandwich would be better. And you MUST walk. It will help dissipate the gas from the surgery and the bloating. You're pretty much doing things that are adding to your discomfort rather than helping to mitigate it.

So, plain chicken, turkey, potatoes, yogurt, toast, chicken soup (not cream of...), etc and no soft drinks (they bloat you). Walk, walk, walk.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I had abdominal surgery last month. The first 4-7 days were difficult, after that I felt a lot better. I think at 4 days I was feeling pretty awful about my entire body, too!

Definitely, get up and walk. The actual process of getting out of bed is painful, and you might walk a little stiffly and slowly, but after a minute or two of moving around, you will feel better.

The nurses had me walking laps of the ward the night of my surgery, and the day after I was walking around the neighborhood.

Bruising around the incision is normal. Just leave it be.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Also, a very large part of recovery after surgery is getting over the anesthesia. The last few times I've had surgery, it took me well over a week to truly get it out of my system. My dad had open heart surgery during which time he was on a heart/lung machine and it took him almost 3 weeks to get the anesthesia fully out of his system. So, it's one of those things where you need to treat your body with respect, rest up, drink plenty of fluids, don't try running a marathon the next day, and eat as light as possible until your stomach settles down. None of what you're going through is at all unusual and you just need to be more patient with recovery.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
(female)

DMBALL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiecookie View Post
I had my gallbladder out Friday night due to gallstones and an "unhappy" gallbladder. That's what my surgeon said. Since then I've been on percocet, which made me really constipated, so this morning I took 2 Dulcolax and now I have diarrhea. I am scared I am never going to feel better I've been eating very lowfat.....soup, crackers, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal. My back is killing me because I haven't been able to sleep on my side or tummy due to my incisions. The one in my belly button is starting to bruise and I just feel so BLOATED, gassy, and gross. I am sick of laying in bed and being stuck inside. I know it takes time to recover...but how long? Will my digestion ever be normal again?

I am scared of leaving my house and I am scared to eat anything. Please somebody, tell me it gets better. I am going back to work on the 30th...
It is so strange my sister had hers out and everytime she eats ,she has to be near a bathroom and her surgery was over 10 years ago, where I have a friend that had it out and has had no problems what so every.So lets hope and pray that you will be one of the lucky ones. Give it time.

Closed Thread